Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 PM

50 posts, read 119,774 times

Advertisements

Wyoming seems amazing. Where are some small towns that you would recommond and why? I will be moving in about April or so of 2010. I love horses and will probally buy may first after about 2 years or so in Wyoming, so if the town is by some horse places, such as tack, supply, feed/hay, trails, etc that is a HUGE plus. I will like to work in a city however, so about a half hour or so from a city will be good, size of city doesnt matter however, just as long as there are jobs. Also over several years, like 10-15, I will like to have a total of about six horses, so i will like a total of 20-25 acres. I will probally live in the city when I first move to Wyoming, but if I find a place I will move there right away. Anything and everything would be of much help, whether you tell me what side of Wyoming, county, town, anything. Also I LOVE scenry, so is there a place that you would recommend, like western Wyoming, or northern fo example. Thanks so much. Don't forget to tell why or why not. Also agree or disagree with other posts. Can't wait for April!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I would need to know what kind of work you will be looking for before I could make any recommendations. Also, the biggest "cities" in Wyoming are Casper & Cheyenne, with only 50K-60K people! Depending on where you are coming from, these may be considered small towns to you. I'd suggest you read through all of the Wyoming threads on this site to gain a lot of information about a lot of different places and things in Wyoming.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Outside of the work/employment issues, there's also the question of how much money you'll be bringing to Wyoming with you.

Too bad you just missed the deal of the year ... the Cheyenne Riding Club just sold for a little over $300K. 7.5 acres, in a high end area of Cheyenne, with facilities to board/train about 60 horses. The house sucked ... it was a 3 br/2 ba old decrepit mobile that needed to be hauled off and replaced, but that would be a modest cost. Between the barns and the large indoor riding arena, it was a horseman's operation waiting for an owner/operator. The seller lost a lot of money on the place, but it was a true distress situation ... no need to go into the sordid details here, but the place has made several horse trainers a lot of money in the past.

There's so many county areas around the cities of Wyoming as well as some of the very nice towns which could fill your requirements .... a lot more info from you is needed to be able to advise. For all we know, you're capable of being the new neighbor in Jackson with a modest horse property .... or unable to afford a 5 acre corner on a pivot circle with a small used mobile home ....

Riding in Wyoming? where do you want to ride? so much of this state is public lands where you can ride the plains, the grasslands, the mountains .... you can locate virtually anywhere here and have ready access to riding that would be the envy of most anybody from out of the area.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 PM

108 posts, read 395,465 times
Oh my gosh, you sound like my kind of person! I lived in Riverton and loved it. Small town, roughly 11,000 people or so, LOTS of open land nearby. It sits on the edge of the Wind River Indian Reservation, about 150 miles or so from the south entrance of Yellowstone. The people are so friendly, and the scenery in and around town is absolutely beautiful! The main problem would be finding a job in that area, because they can be scarce. I plan on moving back there in a couple of years, I miss it so very much. Horses are wonderful too, definitely would make things great!

Casper is another great place, a couple of hours from Riverton, although I don't know a whole lot about that area, but it is beautiful as well. But I do prefer the mountains over the rolling hills, although it's all wonderful.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,433 times
Please forgive me for jumping in on this thread, but I am new to the site and the beautiful state of Wyoming!! My husband and I are ready to make a move out west. He is there this week dropping my oldest son off at Gardiner for a summer job. We are a family of six looking for a slower way of life. He has been in law enforcement over 15 years and is looking for work in this field or something similar. We would greatly appreciate it if someone could point us in the direction of employment and housing. Thanks a bunch!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Start with the Wyoming at Work website. It lists the statewide jobs. I'd advise you to have a job and suitable affordable housing lined up before trying to move here.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:49 AM

76 posts, read 259,127 times
Also check out each city/municipalities website for employment info, most should have one. The Wyoming at Work site at least from what I've seen doesn't list government jobs terribly often (I've seen a few, but never any listings for LEOs). Here in Sheridan though the city website does list job postings for those fields.

City of Sheridan : Job Openings (http://www.city-sheridan-wy.com/jobList.php?department=pd - broken link)

Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 7,433 times
How is the cost of living in comparison to Atlanta,Georgia? From what I have checked out land and housing is not that different price wise. I saw some land prices around $2000 and acre. Is that for land out in the middle of nowhere?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:17 PM

309 posts, read 991,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcp View Post
Wyoming seems amazing. Where are some small towns that you would recommond and why? I will be moving in about April or so of 2010. I love horses and will probally buy may first after about 2 years or so in Wyoming, so if the town is by some horse places, such as tack, supply, feed/hay, trails, etc that is a HUGE plus. I will like to work in a city however, so about a half hour or so from a city will be good, size of city doesnt matter however, just as long as there are jobs. Also over several years, like 10-15, I will like to have a total of about six horses, so i will like a total of 20-25 acres. I will probally live in the city when I first move to Wyoming, but if I find a place I will move there right away. Anything and everything would be of much help, whether you tell me what side of Wyoming, county, town, anything. Also I LOVE scenry, so is there a place that you would recommend, like western Wyoming, or northern fo example. Thanks so much. Don't forget to tell why or why not. Also agree or disagree with other posts. Can't wait for April!!
Yeah, it's amazing anyone still lives there.....

I hope you have a job lined up! Don't go there without a lot of money in your wallet because two things will happen: You'll leave either broke or rich. Assuming the first - as it happens most of the time. There's only two cities of any size in the State and another eight or so with population higher than their elevation.

You can't eat scenery, and I wouldn't want to be there for the first winter without electricity or LP gas, cuz trees are kinda rare in most parts of the state. Three quarters of the state have none exc in the NF/SF where you can't live.

You will often see loafing sheds with one or two horses on barren ground b/c they've eaten it all down to dirt. In that part of the country, it takes 20 acres to feed one cow, so guess how many it takes to feed one horse? Finding acreage isn't a problem - paying for it is.

Rentals are tough to find - most posted in the newspapers (all six of them online-Cody, Powell, Sheridan, Riverton, Casper & Cheyenne) are grabbed up before the ink is dried. And, those that aren't taken - you don't want.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM

309 posts, read 991,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercercrew View Post
How is the cost of living in comparison to Atlanta,Georgia? From what I have checked out land and housing is not that different price wise. I saw some land prices around $2000 and acre. Is that for land out in the middle of nowhere?
Compared to Atlanta - the electricity is cheaper, but the food prices are higher mainly due to lack of population and transport costs. Gas is about the same, with diesel running higher. I used to live in Lawrenceville and drive back and forth to Wyoming and Montana. In 1999, diesel in GA was 0.99/gal while in WY it was $1.29/gal. Not much difference you say - WY had (at the time) the lowest tax on fuels.

Land prices are all over the place - $2000 to $10,000 acre is common. The smaller the acreage the higher the price and if it's on a creek or river $$$ add on. For $2k/acre is scrub land outside of Rawlins - lots of sage and not the kind you can eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming