Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to know if anyone in Wyoming uses a coal burning system in their own homes and what the cost is per year? What is the most prevalent use heating systems used in Wyoming right now? I know wood is scarce, but do people import wood from neighboring states to burn? Are pellet stoves in high use? Just wondering. Hubby has changed his mind and is starting to think that a move to Wyoming might not be a bad thing, if I can find a job there as a teacher. (he also asked about property taxes, but I'll check with other threads or if someone wants to private message me, feel free to do so) thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt View Post
Its called the re-wilding of America. Originally there were true enviromentalists. Their cause has been hijacked by greedy fascists who just want to take land away from landowners.
I call the modern enviro-fascists "watermelons"... Green on the outside, Red on the inside.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:03 PM

357 posts, read 1,614,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
My husband wants to know if anyone in Wyoming uses a coal burning system in their own homes and what the cost is per year? What is the most prevalent use heating systems used in Wyoming right now? I know wood is scarce, but do people import wood from neighboring states to burn? Are pellet stoves in high use? Just wondering. Hubby has changed his mind and is starting to think that a move to Wyoming might not be a bad thing, if I can find a job there as a teacher. (he also asked about property taxes, but I'll check with other threads or if someone wants to private message me, feel free to do so) thanks
Yes, there are coal stoves in use in private homes, esp. in older homes. In coal stoves, you're more likely to find a self-stoker, and these burn "rice" or stoker coal, usually delivered via a chute into a bin in the basement. Coal will be the cheapest form of heating in Wyoming on a per-BTU basis. Especially if you work for a coal mine, in which case you can often get cheap-cheap coal as a employee bennie.

Here's Sheridan's local coal retailer:

coal4you

Pellet stoves are reasonably popular. Pellets come from Sheridan (in the past - I don't know if the pellet plant is still open in Sheridan), northeast Wyoming (near Sundance), Eureka Montana and South Dakota. Last year, pellets were running about $215/ton, this year they're up to about $240/ton.

If you wanted to cut your own firewood, you could do that too with a permit from the USFS or BLM. There's plenty of beetle-killed timber in the Big Horns. If you have the equipment and some labor, you can cut a lot of firewood very cheaply on a USFS permit. Last I knew, permits were about $7.50 and allowed you to cut 3 cords (or about six full-sized pickup loads).

Most common heating source? In built-up towns, you'll find natural gas, outside towns propane will be among the most common sources.

What you should know about all of the above fuel sources: coal, wood and pellets all can leave you with cleaning issues (ash & clinker have to be removed) and more dust in your house. Propane tanks can get so cold that they won't produce much in the way of gaseous propane (depending on the purity of the propane, this can happen in the -30 to -40F range). Natural gas is cheap now, but is likely to become a highly sought-after (and more expensive) energy source in the next 10 years. That said, natural gas will likely always be cheaper than propane on a per-BTU basis.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 AM

215 posts, read 668,019 times
I have a coal furnace in my home and yes it is an older home. Coal is selling here for $54 a ton right now and it last me approx. one month depending on the temp. I love the feel of coal heat because to me it feels warmer than gas. I do know it is alot dirtier tho. I have alot more dust in my home than with gas. There is more to do with coal as far as cleaning and so but it is what I grew up with so I am used to it and dont mind it because of the low cost.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 PM

207 posts, read 714,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
Cap N Trade isn't going to pass, so forget about it.
I'm still going to remind Senators Inzo and Barrossa (sic?) about it just to be sure. Go to their websites. They have a place where you can send them a message. I did and they both eventually got back to me. No auto response either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
On the other hand, I'm stocking up on coal for my old stove I brought in from Indiana last week. I expect an ice age before a warming. It may not happen in 2012 or 2512, but it will happen.
Good plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming