Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,838 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Nice forum here and nice folks. I'm considering a move from Northern Wisconsin here to Wyoming. Here, we do logging. Logging and woodswork is very poor now, plus we live in the snow belt and have terrible winters here. Some of our truck drivers have already moved there and have said there is plenty of work in Wyoming. My brother and his family are thinking of Wyoming too as we are partners in our logging business and his wife is a nurse and my wife is considering becoming a real estate agent. It does appear construction and oil jobs are available and in demand. We wouldn't mind tough physical work at all as cutting trees with a chainsaw is about as tough as it gets. We live in small towns here so the small-town atmosphere is no big deal. It is very sheltered here in Wisconsin so it actually could be a move less isolated than where we are. Our town of Glidden has less than 500 people and the schools here are pretty much shutting down the sports and a lot of programs because of lack of enrollment. We have kids and the poor schools are affecting our re-location plans too. The real problem we have here is the economy and lack of decent paying jobs. I guess I'd just would like some information on Wyoming. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 09:22 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Many companies in the energy/extractive industries, plus WYDOT and county crews, are hiring now.

Truck driving jobs are plentiful. You have but to choose where you want to relocate.

The problem you'll have is finding housing in these "boom town" areas. In many, there simply isn't rental housing available. In towns like Rock Springs, for example, the energy companies have even leased out motels for their crews.

I've visited with people who work at these places, and the days are long and mean hard work. One lady who drove a haul truck I spoke with last week was able to find housing in a nearby town where the company shuttle bus would take her to the mine for her shifts. It meant a 15 hour day for her from the time she got on the shuttle until she was dropped off. The pay was good, but she ultimately quit because she had no time with her children, and moved to Cheyenne for half the pay and much less housing expense.

I don't know what the problem was, but WYDOT hired a bunch of drivers from MI in the last few years. Over half have left and gone "back home" within the first year. Climate? Working Conditions? Somethings going on when so many from a no-job economy leave an area with jobs and a chance to make a decent living.

Despite the perpetual claims of those in the education business about lack of funds ... the schools in Wyoming are generally well funded and are doing well. Some teachers are even finding that they can start at more money here than in higher profile states, which is a huge advantage as the cost of living here is less.

My wife is from northern WI, and she says that the climate and winters here are much milder than that area. We may get cold temps and wind, but we don't have the constant high humidity.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
you may find wyoming to your liking.many people who move to wyoming are in for a real culture shock [especially the wives]and dont wish to adapt.someone coming from working outdoors in rural wisconsin will likely fare better than someone from suburban michigan or maryland.the lack of trees in most of the state is a change for many but the lack of a walmart,target,and 10 shopping malls within 40 minutes drive is a deal killer for many married folk.those of us who despise crowds and malls and like open country can do well in wyoming.i would suggest visiting areas you are interested in as wyoming terrain,home values,employment prospects,etc can vary a lot from one part of the state to another.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:22 AM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times
JoeyWi, If you can afford to ,pack up the truck,or car and take a vacation. Bring resumes and talk to as many folks as you can. There are several areas of the state that are booming, with lots of jobs. My bet is you will have job offers before you get out of Wyoming. Just have to find a place to live. I think you all will fit right in.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:18 AM

I agree taking a vacation over there would be a good idea. We're planning on it in June here. We're gonna check out Cheyenne and some of the more populated areas because my wife doesn't want to be too isolated like we are here. I agree it's probably easier for people from areas like N. Wisconsin to move out there because of the lack of people here. Housing really does bother me some as we have a nice house here with 20 acres, but a change is necessary for us. I'm wondering too if she could still do her real estate work out there. I've heard the hunting and fishing out there is exceptional too. If anyone could give me some info on the sportsman side of things that would be great too, thanks.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Yes I think she could do realty work. There are lots of realtors in Wyoming but I'm not sure how all of that works, might have to do some web searches or talk to some when you get out here.
What , you want me to give up my fishing holes ?
I always have pretty good luck ,just get in with your neighbors and find the ones who are sportmen and someone will show you the ropes.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the replies Wyomiles and everyone else. I talked to our truck driver that moved out there and he said housing where he's at in Boulder is a big issue. I was researching the Rock Springs area. Seems to have a decent population and some construction jobs. Any info about that area would be appreciated, like shopping, houses, the scenery there, jobs, schools and such. It's like here with the fishing holes, Wyomiles, you'd never get them out of me! A trip there is being planned but any information is very appreciated, thank you.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,583 times
JoeyWI,

I live in Rock Springs we've been in this area for three years now and can't wait to get out. We're very isolated, it's 2 hours to Park City for any decent shopping and restaurants and 4 hours the other way to Cheyenne. Let's just say I'm very good at shopping online now, lol. We're builders here and there is definately a need for good subs in this area, everyone is swamped.

As far as terrain there are no trees outside the city limits in this area, none. It isn't as windy as Cheyenne but that's about the nicest thing I can say about it. Boom towns don't necessarily bring in the best type of people. The housing costs are outrageous and keep climbing, but who knows if and when the bottom will fall out and people will be stuck here because they can't afford to sell their houses, maybe that won't happen but you never have a guarantee in a boom.

I guess because you said your wife is wanting somewhere less desolate it's my opinion that you'd drive her out here and she'd tell you to enjoy living here because she won't be. Don't get me wrong there are some really great families here and they have and will live out there lives here, but they've never experienced anything else so they don't know how bad it is.

Everyone likes different things though so you have to make your mind up for yourself of course. If you put Rock Springs in the search you'll bring up some other posts that I and others have written about the area, that should be helpful.

Good Luck to you and yours!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 AM

JoeyWi,
Earniefan is correct, Rock springs is not for everyone. The boom that is going on makes it even worse. On the other hand I lived there (and next door in Green River)for 25 years and I have good memories of the place. Also have a lot of crazy stories. I own land in Pinedale still and would like to return to the area someday but I think that my wife is glad to be away from there. She worked at the local college and had a lot of great freinds but it was a little too much of a desert for her. We used to make several trips each year to Salt lake city to get the good shopping and treat ourselves. We also spent a lot of time in the summer in the Pinedale / Boulder area which we loved.
So I guess it comes down to how much you can stand in order to make some good money ?
If you take a trip and hit the major towns in a big loop you will have a pretty good idea if you like Wyoming or not. You will see everything from small desert ,one horse towns to some of the most beautiful mountains in the US. Of coarse you could spend a lot of time driving so try to do as much research as you can and pick out the places you really want to see. If you plan on staying in any of the booming areas be sure to have hotel reservations ahead of time as many of them are full of construction workers.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM

20 posts, read 75,973 times
Hello,
I do not know if this is the right place to do this, but on July 6th and July 7th from 8 AM to 5PM each day there will a "Flea Market" and and other activities.
also we are encouraging a city wide sale in Lander and along the FT. Washakie trail.
We need Vendors and buyers at the Museum of the American West.
Will have Indian Taco`s and other great things for "The Family"
Kathy Sawick is at 307- 332- 6535

The two day event is to help the new Museum.
Tom and Tammy Lucus will be there both days and Tom does draw crowds with his Art etc.
The cost for a space is $20.00 per day and $5.00 per day for each table needed.
Hope to see you July 6th and 7th in Lander, Wy.
God Bless
Nancy Bush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming