Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM

26 posts, read 40,178 times

Advertisements

I am uber excited about moving so now I just gotta find a place and go check it out. My bf's company has jobs all over the us so we'll see what they have to offer in Wyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM

46 posts, read 134,343 times
Hey caragarrett,

My wife and I moved to Clark, Wyoming from Tampa the first of the month. We're renting here as we look around the countryside of Big Horn Basin for where we want to permanently settle. Frankly, we like Clark a lot and would have no problem settling here. I too have heard all the conversation about wind and know its true even though we've not witnessed it first hand. But I know of nowhere that doesn't have something about the weather that's less than perfect. And the people I met at church seemed very nice although a couple of them couldn't cary a tune worth a darn.

As far as tattoos I can only say this... We only have one chance for a 1st impression and if its with a smile and friendly way, thats how we will be remembered. As for your being 6 foot, you're on your own there, just don't call the cowboys Shirley!

You guys come on out here. One of the reasons my wife and I moved here was for the mountains and all that, but mostly for the conservative values and the importance of family and friendship. So you guys come on out and I for one will love to meet you. Oh, just one thing... I'm 6-3 so I'll jump center Shirley!

Harry

Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 PM

LOL.... Well Harry it pretty much goes like this... I grew up in Las Cruces, NM and at that time my school was short on white kids and the hispanics were all pretty short, so naturally I got picked on ALOT. I just got used to getting my butt kicked at lunch and after school until I got fed up and fought back. Which resulted in my being expelled. Go figure? Anyhoo, being big is just something I'm used to but I thought that once I got older the shorty's would stop trying to prove something by messing with me. Unfortunately, in this town you have to watch your back. You never know if someone is going to mistake your smile for some sort of violent guesture. Yes, it does happen. People have lost their minds.

I too value family and friendship, however at the moment I have zero friends because all my old buddies are either hooked on drugs or have lost their mind. I'm tired of not knowing any nice people, of not being able to get close to another person without them screwing me over. I'm sick sick sick of it and I know somewhere there are some good people I could get along with. Of course I know I'll never find a perfect place but there has to be a place better than where I'm at.

I sort of figured we would just take a trip this summer and drive through Wyoming, on the back roads mostly and find a cute place that spoke to us. You know sometimes you just know.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
There's nice folks all through Wyoming. I haven't found anyplace I wouldn't live based on people. There are places I wouldn't live because of my liking of the country side. I have to have mountains, I have to have rivers. I got both here in my cabin.

What are your likes? You'll find good people just about anywhere so rule that out. But what about area, mountains? High Desert? High Plains? Do you mind wind? Size of town? What ammenities such as theater (Stage type not block buster in a chair )? Concerned about schools? Activities for kids? Activities for adults that don't include drugs?

I guess the biggest thing is to figure out what you want for area as for terrain. Then we'll go from there with suggestions and ideas.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There's nice folks all through Wyoming. I haven't found anyplace I wouldn't live based on people. There are places I wouldn't live because of my liking of the country side. I have to have mountains, I have to have rivers. I got both here in my cabin.

What are your likes? You'll find good people just about anywhere so rule that out. But what about area, mountains? High Desert? High Plains? Do you mind wind? Size of town? What ammenities such as theater (Stage type not block buster in a chair )? Concerned about schools? Activities for kids? Activities for adults that don't include drugs?

I guess the biggest thing is to figure out what you want for area as for terrain. Then we'll go from there with suggestions and ideas.
Oh! If you lived here you would base it on the people! Other than that, schools are very important to me as well as activities for kids. I believe that keeping kids busy helps keeping them out of trouble. As a kid I was just ignored and no one paid any attention to what I was good at or what I could have been good at. I don't want that for my son. I have never been to the "theatre", just blockbuster in a chair as you so perfectly put it. They don't have those sort of things here, just for rich people in the big cities but it would be cool.

I'm mostly doing this for my son, but I want to find a piece of that old america as I saw one person refer to it as. I do like mountains, rivers, green and lush. I'm not into wind but I know it happens. I'd prefer to live in the wamer part of the state, although my bf adores snow.

If it were up to him and he could make it happen, we would live in Antartica.... Don't laugh, it's very serious. He really would and thank god its not possible or I'd be screwed. Oh yeah, then there's the old fashioned thing. I don't know how it happened but Im' rather old fashioned so of course, I'd follow my man anywhere.

Lots of things to ponder I suppose but get used to me cos I'm determined to make this happen.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 PM

Well, if you like the mountains, let me recommend the Bannanna belt. haha If you could call it that.

The Eastern side of the Big Horns. Sheridan, Buffalo, Story, Banner, Big Horn, Ranchester, Dayton. We seem to get passed over for storms. If Sheridan gets 6 inches, they get 18 inches of snow just 10 miles eat of town. Storms seem to hit the Big Horns and skip us.

Sheridan is a town of 15,000 or so people. We have a theater (actors on a stage) and we have a theater (6 different block buster video's shown on big screens and you can set on a comfortable set.). hahahaha

Rodeo? We have one of the finest rodeo's you'll find out West. It's a week long and they even close off streets down town to party. But it's a good clean party. A drink here or there.

The Fairgrounds have something going on all summer long. It never stops.

School choirs. We have a high school choir of maybe 20 kids. That means 20 parents that have to attend their kids recital. But the auditorium holds about 500 and it is standing room only because the community supports and really enjoys what the high school puts out. Our local choir is second to none!

You can't find a better community to live in. It can be a bit expensive but if you look, you can find decent accomodations. You might want to look in the small towns close by. I live in a cabin out along the Tongue River about 15 miles from town. I have a cabin, 5 acres, corrals, a barn, and I pay $600 a month. So take time to look around. It's there, just got to find it.

Sheridan or Buffalo, or the little towns in between would serve you well. We have a very active Veterans group in Sheridan. Employment, that's when you have to look here. https://www.wyomingatwork.com/

Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM

You just brough tears to my eyes. When I was in middle school, my only happiness was singing in the choir but we moved to a smaller town and they didn't have the money for those sorts of things, just atheletics. That is what I was talking about. That right there. People who show up for the important things. I'll check out this are you speak of. We aren't rich but we do okay because we dont live beyond our means. We don't drive new cars, hell I've never owned one and I'm almost 30. We don't wear fancy clothes, mostly whats on sale and overall we are just thankful for what we have because we know that so many others are without.

I got a ticket today for now wearing my seat belt. The cop watched me put it on as I was driving by but still gave me a ticket. He was an ass about it to. I don't always remember to put on my seat belt and today for sure cos I was rushing home to tell my bf that I found out that I don't have cerivcal cancer like they was thinking before. But I got a ticket still and I know it's for safety and I do believe there should be laws im place where children should always have to wear them. But I'm an adult and if I don't wanna, I shouldn't have to. It's all about money really, but I'm sick of this way of thinking.

Do they make you wear your seatbelts up there? Cos if so count me out.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Yes, we do have a seat belt law and yes, I've heard of a couple people that were ticketed for not wearing their seat belt.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Yes, there's a seat belt law in Wyoming, and it was recently strengthened. I think it's another one of those federal government mandated laws -- you have a seat belt law or lose highway funding.

Originally Wyoming's law amounted this: If you're stopped for a traffic violation and are wearing a seat belt, $5 is taken off the amount of the fine. I guess that's kind of a reverse fine. I'm thinking that then they changed it that you actually got a fine but only if you were stopped for another offense.

I believe as of last year or the year before, you can now be stopped and issued a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. I still don't wear one in town too often (although I know I should), and I've never been stopped for not wearing one, but I ***think*** it's on the books that way.

I think it's pretty much the law of the land -- all states. But I've been wrong before....

Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Well that sucks... I most often wear mine when the bf's in the car and reminds me. But still.... $81 dollars for not wearing your seatbelt? They can't tell me its about "my" safety. I say hogwash! They just want money!!! But Sheridan does sound very nice... I'm almost in love...

We shall see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming