Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 AM

27 posts, read 86,714 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I finally have my house sold. I will be closing 8/13 and still looking for a home. I almost think it might be better to rent first, but I am still undecided on which high school/middle school to send the kids to. I have narrowed it down to Fort Mill, Clover and Indian Land, as I have found houses in these areas and it is also closer to the area I will be working (Rock Hill).

any pros/cons I should be considering that would make one area more attractive than another?? Also, looking to spend less then $250K but really want 1/2 acre at least. Seems to be pretty hard to find and this is probably why I am still looking!!

Thanks for the help. I love this site and everyone seems to be so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 21,167 times
Fort Mill is the best area out of the three. We have lived here for many years and love the schools and the convenience of everything in Fort Mill.
Waterstone is a good area in the 250K range and there are also some very good buys in the older section of Tega Cay right now for that price range also. If you really want 1/2 acre then Clover or Indian Land would be the place to look but the Fort Mill schools are something to consider!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:39 AM

Fort Mill was my first choice but I was told the schools are starting to get overcrowded.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 21,167 times
Default Schools

They have just built a new high school in Fort Mill which will gives us two now. This helps a lot because the one high school was too overcrowded. They also built a new middle school in the last year or two so I think that helped. I am not sure about the elementary schools - I know some may be more crowded than others but Fort Mill has always made sure that the quality remains in the schools.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:01 PM

192 posts, read 687,518 times
Fort Mill will be closer to your work. Fort Mill has fantastic schools. We moved here from a great school in California and my kids were a little behind. They didn't need any tutoring but it took a while to catch up.

The new HS is set to open this fall. The middle schools are fine in terms of population and altho the elementary schools are over crowded, there are two more in the works. You can't go wrong with any of the Ft Mill schools.

My neighborhood, Whitegrove, has homes with .3 - .4 acres. Not sure if any have .5 ac. Lynnwood Farms has 1 acre+ but the price point is higher.

You may be able to get the acreage in Clover. Not sure about Indian Land. Depends on if you want to stay in a neighborhood or if you want to live out in the 'country'.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM

I have found a wonderful home in Whitegrove while I searched on line (hopefully it will still be available when I get there!). Are there a lot of teens there? My kids will be in 8th & 9th grade when school starts. My husband and I will be in the area this Saturday for a week. Hopefully, we will find what we are looking for. Thanks again for the info.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:46 PM

425 posts, read 1,571,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc126 View Post
I have found a wonderful home in Whitegrove while I searched on line (hopefully it will still be available when I get there!). Are there a lot of teens there? My kids will be in 8th & 9th grade when school starts. My husband and I will be in the area this Saturday for a week. Hopefully, we will find what we are looking for. Thanks again for the info.
I also live in WHitegrove. It is fabulous. There are a few homes which may fit your needs and price range in here. We came from 10 acres to .37 and it really does not seem to close. I think they laid out the homes great in here. They are only close on the side there is nobody behind me just open space. My neighbors have two girls I think they are in 9th and 10th grade. If you PM me I would be happy to have you stop by and show you around.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 AM

174 posts, read 732,896 times
If you guys want to be in a lakefront community in the Lake Wylie / Rock Hill area check out our community at mysunsetpoint.com. The Lots are quite as big as what you want, most are around 0.25 acres, but you cant beat the amenities for the money. Good luck on your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc126 View Post
Hi all
I finally have my house sold. I will be closing 8/13 and still looking for a home. I almost think it might be better to rent first, but I am still undecided on which high school/middle school to send the kids to. I have narrowed it down to Fort Mill, Clover and Indian Land, as I have found houses in these areas and it is also closer to the area I will be working (Rock Hill).

any pros/cons I should be considering that would make one area more attractive than another?? Also, looking to spend less then $250K but really want 1/2 acre at least. Seems to be pretty hard to find and this is probably why I am still looking!!

Thanks for the help. I love this site and everyone seems to be so helpful.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:16 PM

80 posts, read 345,466 times
Before you settle on a school check out the south carolina school report cards for the districts you are interested in. Not just test scores, but also number of violent acts. That really helped me make my decision. Here is the link: School Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/ - broken link). Your counties would be York2, York4, and Lancaster.

If you want info about the Fort Mill HS curriculum, you can find it on the old website which you can reach from the current one. Fort Mill School District - York 4 - Homepage. Click on the link named 'Previous FMSD web site..." then navigate to Fort Mill High School, then Guidance. There is all kinds of really good info there.

Good Luck!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM

7 posts, read 19,719 times
Well I Heard That The Schools In Clover Are Excellent !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties