Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 AM

36 posts, read 44,748 times

Advertisements

Ok, let me start off by saying I moved to Indian Land last October from Albemarle (tiny city right above charlotte). I sold my house there and currently own a house with my girlfriend in IL which is something that I'm really proud of since I bought my first house at 24(I just turned 27). I had never heard of Indian Land before I met her and the only thing I knew about Fort Mill is that they had the Charlotte Knights.

I'm slowly learning more and more about IL, the history, entertainment and the neighborhoods as well. So to really get a feel of the "city", me and my gf took a trip around IL to see all of the neighborhoods that are already established/under construction this past sunday. And I guess I'm amazed at how many neighborhoods are going up. Granted I know that IL is up-and-coming since it's so close to South Charlotte/Ballantyne and offers cheaper taxes. I had already driven through Bridgehampton which is part Indian Land - part Charlotte. We drove through BridgeMill and was amazed that this neighborhood is in Indian Land along with the 5 other neighborhoods going up just blocks from our house. Out of those 5 neighborhoods, 3 are $600K+ housing neighborhoods. I have to give it to Indian Land/Lancaster County's development board or whoever is in charge of the growth in IL and also credit for bringing in HSBC where my gf's mom is employed.

End Positive Rant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekurit View Post
Ok, let me start off by saying I moved to Indian Land last October from Albemarle (tiny city right above charlotte). I sold my house there and currently own a house with my girlfriend in IL which is something that I'm really proud of since I bought my first house at 24(I just turned 27). I had never heard of Indian Land before I met her and the only thing I knew about Fort Mill is that they had the Charlotte Knights.

I'm slowly learning more and more about IL, the history, entertainment and the neighborhoods as well. So to really get a feel of the "city", me and my gf took a trip around IL to see all of the neighborhoods that are already established/under construction this past sunday. And I guess I'm amazed at how many neighborhoods are going up. Granted I know that IL is up-and-coming since it's so close to South Charlotte/Ballantyne and offers cheaper taxes. I had already driven through Bridgehampton which is part Indian Land - part Charlotte. We drove through BridgeMill and was amazed that this neighborhood is in Indian Land along with the 5 other neighborhoods going up just blocks from our house. Out of those 5 neighborhoods, 3 are $600K+ housing neighborhoods. I have to give it to Indian Land/Lancaster County's development board or whoever is in charge of the growth in IL and also credit for bringing in HSBC where my gf's mom is employed.

End Positive Rant...
You should be proud!...(took me 16 years longer than you) Indian Land is a neat place and one you should reap a very nice little nest egg from.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,340 times
Unfortunately a majority of the employees at HSBC have already been laid off/fired with more lay-offs to come. That may be why so many houses are for sale in Indian Land. I did hear that HSBC may move some of their employees in from other cities. The company is really hurting bad, along with many "sub market" morgage companies.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
Yeah, It's HSBC Mortgage and not their consumer retail bank you may be familiar with from other cities, like Buffalo (HSBC Arena). It stands for Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation, but in WNY, it is Hot Sauce and Bleu Cheese.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 AM

36 posts, read 44,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Yeah, It's HSBC Mortgage and not their consumer retail bank you may be familiar with from other cities, like Buffalo (HSBC Arena). It stands for Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation, but in WNY, it is Hot Sauce and Bleu Cheese.
Yea, fortunately my gf's mom got out of the mortgage side of HSBC many years ago. But yea, the layoffs at HSBC have already taken effect. The good thing is that the building houses more of their retail side anyways.

But there's no more houses for sale in Indian Land than they are in Fort Mill or Rock Hill. I think majority of the people that are moving to Indian Land are keeping their Charlotte jobs, but looking for a bigger house at a less expensive price point. I'm sure HSBC wasn't a draw for people to move here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties