Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:43 PM

625 posts, read 489,196 times

Advertisements

Is the cable modem a combo router / modem (we had one through Comcast)? How are you streaming? For internet you still need a "router" even if it's a modem / router combo.

As an example of how too many people on can mess things up...I'm working from home today and this morning my internet connection was zipping along. Now that most people are home from work my connection is draaaaaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
Is the cable modem a combo router / modem (we had one through Comcast)? How are you streaming? For internet you still need a "router" even if it's a modem / router combo.

As an example of how too many people on can mess things up...I'm working from home today and this morning my internet connection was zipping along. Now that most people are home from work my connection is draaaaaging.
That is why I asked the question if OP had a new modem from Comporium. The new modem is a combo router/modem and of course Comporium thinks it's the greatest thing ever, but it's not.

Our son installed the new Comporium modem last week and disabled the router part and then connected my own (separate) router. No problems at all and now just the same ole, same ole. I don't see any difference in my speed, there has been no dramatic change in the internet nor the Netflix we stream.

The email from Comporium last December indicated: We are upgrading our network to give you the ability to achieve faster, more consistent Internet speeds. However, our records indicate the modem at your home may not be capable of achieving these speeds. Bless their hearts.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
None of the four households have a modem / router given to us by Comporium. Two have a somewhat new Arris modem.

The internet issue is not slow data or dragging data. It is NO data. When 150 green and red numbers are blinking fast and furious in split seconds and then all 150 stop dead for 5 seconds that is not slow data that is no data at all. Slow data would cause some numbers to stop but some would continue. The download speed is 11.80. But in a span of 1 hour there 720 five second periods. If there is lost (zero) data feed in 6 of those 720 five second periods, then the average download speed for all 720 five second periods would still be 11.70 and not noticeable at all by Comporium. If they looked 714 times in an hour they'd see 11.80. They will brush off the 6 times it is 0.0 as nothing they can fix.

Last edited by howard555; 04-24-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 AM

186 posts, read 335,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
None of the four households have a modem / router given to us by Comporium. Two have a somewhat new Arris modem.

The internet issue is not slow data or dragging data. It is NO data. When 150 green and red numbers are blinking fast and furious in split seconds and then all 150 stop dead for 5 seconds that is not slow data that is no data at all. Slow data would cause some numbers to stop but some would continue. The download speed is 11.80. But in a span of 1 hour there 720 five second periods. If there is lost (zero) data feed in 6 of those 720 five second periods, then the average download speed for all 720 five second periods would still be 11.70 and not noticeable at all by Comporium. If they looked 714 times in an hour they'd see 11.80. They will brush off the 6 times it is 0.0 as nothing they can fix.
The problem is and I hate to say it; that there more than likely is nothing they can do to fix it because there could be any number of things causing the problem. For example the problem could be caused by:

a) the cable going from the street to the house
b) the splitter at the house that sends the cable to all the various jacks in the house
c) the cables going from the splitter to the wall jacks
d) the wall jack
e) the cable going from the wall the to cable modem
f) the cable modem is failing and/or overheating and resetting

A though E can cause the signal level to get outside the range that cable modems will work properly and when that happens; most cable modems will end up dropping the connection for more a lot longer than 5 seconds.

Unless someone is able to come in and actually be connected and monitoring the service when it happens; I don't see them being able to trouble shoot it enough to stop it from happening.

My question would be when you are talking about streaming are you talking something along the lines of Netflix? or is this Comporium's on demand service?

Because if you are talking about something along a Netflix type service; then my question would be how is the TV connected to the internet? Is it though a Ethernet cable that is plugged in directly to the cable modem or stand alone router that is plugged in directly to the cable modem or are we talking it is connected via Wi-Fi?

If it is Wi-Fi then then that would open up a whole lot of other things that can cause problems.

Psy

Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM

625 posts, read 489,196 times
I agree with Psy. If you're streaming via wi-fi that may be part of the problem, there are so many variables. We hard wired our TV and my computer to the router and we no longer have any problems.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:59 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
The problem is and I hate to say it; that there more than likely is nothing they can do to fix it.

a) the cable going from the street to the house
b) the splitter at the house that sends the cable to all the various jacks in the house
c) the cables going from the splitter to the wall jacks
d) the wall jack
e) the cable going from the wall the to cable modem
f) the cable modem is failing and/or overheating and resetting

most cable modems will end up dropping the connection for more a lot longer than 5 seconds.

My question would be when you are talking about streaming are you talking something along the lines of Netflix? or is this Comporium's on demand service?
One resident had their splitter replaced as well as all cables from the outside of the house to the TV and still the problems persist.
The loss of data is a total loss lasting a few seconds, so the modem dropping the connection is not it if a modem dropped connection would last longer.
The data feed is from Merrill Lynch. Their end says it is Comporium's problem after 30 minutes of trouble shooting with their tech support. They have no reason to give slow data, as they make their living giving fast data.
And once again this data feed worked perfectly for close to 3 months before the problem started a couple weeks ago and it is now off and on every hour all day.

It's 4 households and all 4 have the exact same TV issues, and 1 has the streaming data issues.

We think it is a problem before the cables reach the splitter mounted outside all 4 houses.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 PM

186 posts, read 335,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
One resident had their splitter replaced as well as all cables from the outside of the house to the TV and still the problems persist.
The loss of data is a total loss lasting a few seconds, so the modem dropping the connection is not it if a modem dropped connection would last longer.
The data feed is from Merrill Lynch. Their end says it is Comporium's problem after 30 minutes of trouble shooting with their tech support. They have no reason to give slow data, as they make their living giving fast data.
And once again this data feed worked perfectly for close to 3 months before the problem started a couple weeks ago and it is now off and on every hour all day.

It's 4 households and all 4 have the exact same TV issues, and 1 has the streaming data issues.

We think it is a problem before the cables reach the splitter mounted outside all 4 houses.
It could still be something outside of Comporium's network.

When you say it is a total loss of data how do you know that going to another website doesn't work? You also still haven't answered if everyone has a hardwire connection or if they are connected via Wi-Fi. It could very well be that there is something in your neighborhood that is interfering with the Wi-Fi signal and causing it to cut in and out.

Plus just because Merrill Lynch give's out fast data; doesn't mean that you will get it fast data. All it takes is one of the hops between your neighbor and Merrill Lynch to have issues and then it won't matter if they had gigabyte fiber speed; it would still be slow due to issues beyond Comporium's network.

What I would do is start running a tracert and see what it shows anytime this happens. If it shows any high times, you need to see what hop is causing the issue. If the times are high once you get outside of Comporium's network then it is not their problem. If one of the hops has real high times and it is showing as Comporium then you can give them that info and it would help them trouble shoot the problem.

Still too early to blame Comporium.

Psy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties