Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM

56 posts, read 238,964 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We just moved to the area. Any suggestions for fun outdoor activities or attractions for young children? I want to advantage of these warm but mild sunny days

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:28 PM

285 posts, read 1,020,895 times
Try Zuma Adventure center. Has indoor arcade, outdoor carnival type rides (good for very young kids), go-carts, bumper boats and miniature golf. They are in Pineville. My 3 year old loves it!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:38 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,218,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlemom View Post
Hi All,
We just moved to the area. Any suggestions for fun outdoor activities or attractions for young children? I want to advantage of these warm but mild sunny days

Thanks much!
Well, if you just moved to Baxter Village....you now have something that's pretty much in your own backyard (okay well not really...but it is close ). In my opinion it is one of the highlights of Fort Mill...it is the Anne Springs Close Greenway.

....Go for a hike
....Go horseback riding
....Check out the nature center
....Take the kids up the silo behind the dairy barn and look out over the top
....Or go Camping
....Or Cycling
....Take them on the swinging bridge
....Check out the animals (horses, goats, cattle, etc.)
....Search for tadpoles around the lakes
....Pack a picnic lunch and just enjoy!

Anne Springs Close Greenway

Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 AM

119 posts, read 361,381 times
I agree with lovethecarolinas about the greenway. Gorgeous way to spend an afternoon!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM

193 posts, read 634,156 times
Tega Cay has a lot of parks, a few public beaches, and a pool:

http://www.lakeshoreonlakewylie.com/amenities.php

I think this is the nature center to which lovesthecarolinas is referring:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Inside+The+Department/Divisions/Stewardship+Services/Nature+Preserves/McDowell.htm (broken link)

Lots to see and do there.

Also, even little kids like the Stowe Botanical Gardens, even if just because of the space to stretch their legs. They have special events such as the one last fall when they had a lot of displays and activities for younger kids such as pumpkin painting, a maze, and educational displays.

http://www.dsbg.org/

I took our 3-year old to a Knights game (AAA baseball) and she loved it! The mascot, a dragon, was a big hit, as was the merry-go-round they had there.

http://www.charlotteknights.com/

Carowinds is supposed to have a lot of things for even the smaller ones, but I have note been yet:

http://www.carowinds.com/

There is tons more to do, but those are the big ones that come immediately to mind.

Water ski shows in Tega Cay:

http://www.carolinashowski.com/

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,218,438 times
This is a very nice post MilesBFree but I would like to make a couple of corrections:

While Tega Cay does have quiet a few parks, pool and a couple of beaches...they are not all open to the public. My advice would be to make sure to look for signs as some areas are permit parking only (for example: Windjammer Park) or you run the risk of receiving a ticket.

Now not trying to squash the party here...so I would also like to add that any events that are held within Tega Cay are always open to the public. For example: Waterski shows (these are a blast, and free...although get there early because parking fills up fast), Summer Concerts, Fourth of July events, Fall Festival, etc.

In regard to the nature center (while McDowell is nice) the one I was speaking about is located within the Anne Springs Greenway located in Fort Mill (while not as big as the McDowell center...it is there )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post
Tega Cay has a lot of parks, a few public beaches, and a pool:

Find a new home in the Lake Shore on Lake Wylie community.

I think this is the nature center to which lovesthecarolinas is referring:

McDowell (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Inside+The+Department/Divisions/Stewardship+Services/Nature+Preserves/McDowell.htm - broken link)

Lots to see and do there.

Also, even little kids like the Stowe Botanical Gardens, even if just because of the space to stretch their legs. They have special events such as the one last fall when they had a lot of displays and activities for younger kids such as pumpkin painting, a maze, and educational displays.

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden

I took our 3-year old to a Knights game (AAA baseball) and she loved it! The mascot, a dragon, was a big hit, as was the merry-go-round they had there.

Welcome to charlotteknights.com

Carowinds is supposed to have a lot of things for even the smaller ones, but I have note been yet:

Carowinds | North and South Carolina's Themed Amusement Park

There is tons more to do, but those are the big ones that come immediately to mind.

Water ski shows in Tega Cay:

Carolina Show Ski Team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties