Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM

316 posts, read 304,090 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

We will be moving in June 2018 as my husband has already started a job in Charlotte (Southpark area). We are looking at the SC schools for their strong marching band programs. And yes, I know hubby will have a longer commute, but there are other factors at play here and he is willing to compromise in that regard.

While researching online, I came across a school news segment from Fort Mill which makes me believe incoming freshmen are segregated from the rest of the HS students, including lunch times. Can anyone verify this? Does Nation Ford do this as well?

I was really hoping my kids would at least be able to have lunch together.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Yes, FMHS purchased the old Riverview Elementary School and turned that into a freshman-only area so that incoming freshman had a year all to themselves to get used to the more rigorous expectations of high school without worrying about dealing with upper classmen. As such, the freshman have their own cafeteria and eat separate from the older students.

10th - 12th grade is all on the main high school campus and intermingles regularly.

My child that is currently in 9th grade at FMHS loves the fact that 9th grade is separate.

Nation Ford HS does not have this practice in place. It is special to FMHS since they purchased the adjacent elementary school.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Wow, that is exactly the information I was hoping to receive! Thank you so much, Girl!

On another note, I see there is a new high school being built in Fort Mill with an anticipated opening in Fall of 2019. Do you know if boundary/attendance lines have been decided yet? The last thing I want to happen is have my kids move across the country, start at a new high school and then a year later have to start at yet another new school.

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM

New school zones have NOT been determined yet for the new school. Will likely be announced next summer.

And trust me when I say that changing school zones is just a "thing" here that will need to be accepted because of the huge amount of growth taking place. My kids have been rezoned so many times we've lost count, but the good news is that they've still maintained friendships despite the constant rezoning, and have adjusted just fine to "starting over" every couple of years.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 PM

Ok, I had no idea that rezoning is happening that often.

I'll have to just accept it for what it is.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:19 PM

I had another question come up.

My youngest has taken 2 years of Spanish in middle school, which is equivalent to one year of high school Spanish in our current school district. This means he could start off freshman year here taking Spanish 2. Is that even remotely possible at Fort Mill High, given the segregation of freshmen? What about at Nation Ford High?

Thanks for any insights.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 AM

I had a nice detailed post and it got eaten. Ugh.

You can read about how our high schools function using this link:
http://fmhs.fortmillschools.org/User...ined%20(4).pdf

Our high schools are not typical high schools. They are run more like "pre-college" schools than typical high schools. You can certainly ask if your student can take higher level Spanish instead of "Spanish 101" - all they can do is say no!

Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 AM

That's perfect.

Thanks, Girl!

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 AM

22 posts, read 29,231 times
We're in the same situation but relocating from CT in the next few months. That's a bummer that there is so much movement. Definitely tough on new students!

Question on school zoning now. I've noticed some Indian Land homes that are currently for sale are showing attendance at Fort Mil schools. Is that even possible?

Old 11-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTTOSCNC View Post
We're in the same situation but relocating from CT in the next few months. That's a bummer that there is so much movement. Definitely tough on new students!

Question on school zoning now. I've noticed some Indian Land homes that are currently for sale are showing attendance at Fort Mil schools. Is that even possible?
Indian Land is technically considered part of Fort Mill Township, but schools are not part of York District 4 schools, because they are in Lancaster County. As such, they are part of Lancaster County school district.

https://www.lancastercsd.com/

And I wouldn't worry about being a new student - the area is growing so quickly that every year (and even every semester) there are brand new students starting in the schools. They will assimilate quickly, rest assured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties