Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM

80 posts, read 375,699 times

Advertisements

I am looking into homes in Baxter Village. We are a 31 year old couple with a 1 year old daughter, currently living in Southern California. We are looking to move (eventually, if we can ever sell our house) and Baxter Village looks nice.

Is it family oriented?
Our price range is up to $500k, what can we get for that?
I hear the schools are excellent, is that true? What about the freeze? (remember our daughter is only 1 so that's not a concern just yet)
Are there playgrounds, parks, etc. nearby?
Is it a tight-knit community?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:45 PM

280 posts, read 948,738 times
I just replied to a similar thread in the Charlotte forum.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:02 PM

156 posts, read 511,614 times
Ok, I am not a resident of the area until a few more weeks, but we did look at Baxter Village when we came house hunting back in January. Our real estate agent was very big on Baxter because it is so family oriented. There are parks all around the neighborhood, and people walking on the sidewalks in the evening. Every house has a front porch, and people park their cars in garages behind their homes. The elementary school there is supposed to be very good, though children in Baxter who are new to the area will attend Rriverview Elementary for another year, until the new elementary schools are built. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). $500,000 can buy you one of the nicest houses there, though it depends on what you are looking for. Like I said, we looked there, but bought elsewhere. We have 5 children and needed some room to stretch out. You can find good sized homes there, it's just that the small lots dictate that the houses be narrower than we would have liked. One of the builders (SE Miller I believe) told us about one section that was about to open up with 1/2 acre lots, though I have no idea what is being put up on those lots. I think the neighborhood is beautiful, and will be spending alot of time myself there in the YMCA and the Fort Mill library. It seems like a great place for young families, but then again it would be nice to hear from someone who actually lives there!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,434,959 times
The new phase has some big lots.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Where can I see a phase map? I can't find anything on their website.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM

850 posts, read 2,652,295 times
They do not have the lots on the website. I would call the information center and ask for the BYOB section. It will be located off of new grey rock road... Large lots starting at $140K... For $500K you can get a large house for Baxter 4-5 beds around 3000-3500 sqft. We have been in Bax for 2 years, love it...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 PM

The neighborhood we live in now (in Carlsbad) is a new construction neighborhood but it's tiny compared to Baxter. The houses are very close together, and it didn't bother me at first, but it would be nice to have a little more space. We don't need a lot of land, just a little bit of space so that our upstairs windows don't look right into our neighbors! One of the things I really don't like about our neighborhood is how the houses all have garages right in front, taking up the whole first floor. So there are no windows on the front of the house, on the first floor. So to see the street I have to go upstairs. I really don't like that. I think that the Californians like their privacy so many people like it, but I would much rather be able to see down my street.

I wish I could see some pictures of Baxter other than the marketed ones on the website. We are looking for a 4 bedroom with a basement. Do any of them have basements? First floor master would be ok. What are the good builders? If anyone has any pictures please PM me!! Thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:08 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,905,350 times
I think your best bet in seeing pics is to go to the individual builder's sites that build there. I know John Wieland is one of them...maybe they have a section to display just the homes they build on Baxter. I don't live in there so I can't help you with the names of the other builders, esp. the ones in the new phase, but some of the current residents may. If it is important to you at all, Baxter has commercial properties in the community and the Fort Mill library is there as well. As such, there is traffic from people who don't live there. If you are the type that only care to have people in your community around you, this is something to consider.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,216,567 times
Hey there Jessica - if you go to Google (Image) you will find several pictures there of Baxter Village.

...also I've sent you a DM ()

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica12 View Post
The neighborhood we live in now (in Carlsbad) is a new construction neighborhood but it's tiny compared to Baxter. The houses are very close together, and it didn't bother me at first, but it would be nice to have a little more space. We don't need a lot of land, just a little bit of space so that our upstairs windows don't look right into our neighbors! One of the things I really don't like about our neighborhood is how the houses all have garages right in front, taking up the whole first floor. So there are no windows on the front of the house, on the first floor. So to see the street I have to go upstairs. I really don't like that. I think that the Californians like their privacy so many people like it, but I would much rather be able to see down my street.

I wish I could see some pictures of Baxter other than the marketed ones on the website. We are looking for a 4 bedroom with a basement. Do any of them have basements? First floor master would be ok. What are the good builders? If anyone has any pictures please PM me!! Thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,216,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I think your best bet in seeing pics is to go to the individual builder's sites that build there. I know John Wieland is one of them...maybe they have a section to display just the homes they build on Baxter. I don't live in there so I can't help you with the names of the other builders, esp. the ones in the new phase, but some of the current residents may. If it is important to you at all, Baxter has commercial properties in the community and the Fort Mill library is there as well. As such, there is traffic from people who don't live there. If you are the type that only care to have people in your community around you, this is something to consider.
hey there bibit - I could be wrong but I don't believe John Wieland is one of the builders in Baxter Village (Wieland usually has their own developments/sudivsions).

To Jessica - I think you'll have problems finding a bad builder in Baxter Village. I like, and have also heard good things about S.E. Miller who is a local custom builder in the area.

Baxter Village (http://www.villageofbaxter.com/builders/default.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties