Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,563 times

Advertisements

I went on line to see my balance for my mortgage today.
It shows a figure then it says "this is not your payoff".

I ordered a copy of the payoff. I was wondering though, so I don't have a heart attack type surprise, is the payoff usually more or less than what the balance would show?

I have a co worker that has offered to buy my townhouse, and before I give him my price, I need to know why there would be any difference on the pay off as compared to what my mortgage company shows is balance owing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 05:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
I think it's slightly more, due to early termination fee if applicable, other fees, they tell you as of the date of projected payoff (interest from now to then).

Old 11-22-2008, 05:28 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,850 times
More often than not they don't seem to charge early term fees, what you will have is the interest makeup payment, so the most it should be is your balance +a months interest.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:37 PM

127 posts, read 432,034 times
depends on the bank, i know my last one had a lower payoff since the intrest wasnt acrued fully closing it early, interest accures by month no pay off early and payments are less. so i would expect u to be surprised to find a lower pay off.

jeff

Old 11-23-2008, 06:52 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,563 times
Thank you all sincerely. Any of the answers provided, helped me. At the most I can expect it only to be a little higher or even lower. It's been so long ago that I sold a home that I couldn't remember.
I do remember though my payoff on my mortgage ended up being less than what my balance showed, but have no idea why, it was almost 20 years ago, and things have changed. Well I keep my fingers crossed and hope I can afford to sell. I realize this is a great opportunity for me as selling a home is a little harder these days.

Mrs. P

Old 11-23-2008, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 30,070 times
More than likely, the number you saw was the unpaid principal balance. More often than not, Interest is paid on your mortgage one month in arrears. In short, when you pay your November monthly mortgage payment, the interest portion of that payment paid the interest that accrued on the loan in October.

Your payoff figure would likely be the sum of your principal balance and the interest currently due. If your next payment is due 12/1/08, then interest is likely due from 11/1/08 forward in addition to the unpaid principal balance of the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties