Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM

305 posts, read 1,809,711 times

Advertisements

I need to have input on the best High Speed Internet Access with Digital Cable that is available in either York or Lancaster counties.

We're moving to SC sometime between April and May 2009. Our first priority (other than home prices) is whether or not we can get as good a high speed internet access connect with our digital cable ... like we already have (Comcast).

I'm very concerned about this as we are both disabled and having access to both is the way we stay in touch with the world.

Any input would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 02:39 PM

850 posts, read 2,652,295 times
Well if you live in FM your only choice will be comporium... Welcome!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 PM

marndt: Well, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:31 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,502 times
I have Comporium...unfortunately. If you like over priced, unreliable and under powered internet, this is the company for you! and get this! where I live (Rock Hill...renting, thank god)...its the ONLY company that services the area.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM

FlightAttendant:

Yeah. I've not heard good things about Comporium. I thought I read somewhere that they are city-owned? I don't know if that's true or not.

I guess I'll be crossing Rock Hill off my list of places to move! Thanks for the info.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:37 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,875,306 times
We had Comcast up in PA and now we have Time Warner. I have been very happy with them so far, but we have only had them for less than a month. We live in Sun City Carolina Lakes. I do know there are some areas that TW doesn't service, so you would have to check in the area that you are planning to buy in.

I use a wireless connection through an older router and it works just as fast as the Comcast one did. I actually have the basic speed offered (7m bps download and 384 kbps upload) and I have no problems. They do have a higher speed of 10 download and 512 upload for an extra $10/month, but I definately don't need it.

Also have digital cable with HD (was part of a special), but our HD set isn't down here. Neighbor has huge TV with HD and is very satisfied with TW.

I heard a lot of bad commments about Comporium and really didn't want them, so it was a no-brainer for me. My neighbor said that everyone at his work warned him against Comporium. Yet my other neighbor has them and is satisfied, but I don't think they use the computer a lot.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM

Well, I'm definitely never going to live where there is only Comporium services. I've been searching the forum and that seems to be the consensus of opinion.

Being disabled, the internet is our lifeline. I do everything on the net ... except buy groceries. I never buy anything that's not on sale or without free shipping. Have never, ever been burned on the net.

As for tv ... we do have a 42" HDTV so having good service there is also important.

Thanks for all the info.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:05 PM

349 posts, read 863,369 times
not time warner

Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM

45 posts, read 194,739 times
If you're looking in york county, you're probably going to be stuck with comporium. In lancaster, I'm pretty sure you have the option of time warner. Both companies are going to get pretty bad recommendations because they have little competition. Comporium has no reason to lower its prices or better its services because it's competing only with dish for internet and cable. Their internet plans are quite anemic for the price compared to comcast or Verizon FIOS (not available). On the cable side of things, they are making pretty good strides to put forth a good product. Once a neighborhood has gone through their digital transition, people seem very pleased with the quality of SD and HD channels. I'm in a new community, and comporium has run fiber all the way to the house. I've been told they're not having nearly as many bandwidth issues as time warner. That said, I'd still say they're mediocre at best as a service provider.

Time warner seems about on par with comporium's internet pricing, which I'm not impressed with. They're also not so great when it comes to their cable tv infrastructure. They're using a switched system, which works like an on-demand service. They do this because they are bandwidth limited, and it's a bandaid. Reviews and personal experience says their HD quality is sub-par.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM

425 posts, read 1,571,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
Well, I'm definitely never going to live where there is only Comporium services. I've been searching the forum and that seems to be the consensus of opinion.

Being disabled, the internet is our lifeline. I do everything on the net ... except buy groceries. I never buy anything that's not on sale or without free shipping. Have never, ever been burned on the net.

As for tv ... we do have a 42" HDTV so having good service there is also important.

Thanks for all the info.
I moved from PA and had comcast now I have comporium and I find both services to be identical. Both have some problems I do however find comporium more helpful and easy to reach a live person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties