Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:21 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,121 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know legitimately, not they heard from a friend of a friend, why we only have the choice of comporium for cable and phone for a large part if not most of york county?

I've heard anything ranging from they are an actual monopoly and drive out business to just the simple fact that no other companies want to come in to it is completely legal that they have the rights to the area.

Is this common in smaller towns, to just have the one choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 AM

11 posts, read 29,948 times
Comporium does NOT have a monopoly and cannot prevent competition for any of the services it offers. Time Warner Cable has entered the market in the panhandle of Lancaster County in new subdivisions where Comporium traditionally has be the cable TV provider. It is likely too expensive for TWC to try to completely overlay its facilities where Comporium exists. Some people have opted for satellite companies but most have found the pricing and service to be no better and in some cases worse than Comporium provides.

Smaller towns and even larger often have one cable TV provider and a separate local telephone company and only recently have the two industries started crossing over into the other's business. It's still a matter of return on investment for a company to decide if it wants to take on the incumbent telco and/or cable TV operator.

Despite being a privately owned telephone company and cable TV provider, Comporium has continued to invest in new technology and has kept its rates competitive with Time Warner Cable and AT&T (which is the other major service provider that serves the western part of York County). Most people just don't take the time to compare apples to apples but look only at the latest promotional offer that usually ends after a few months.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 AM

182 posts, read 331,689 times
When I lived in Charlotte and when I lived in Raleigh, we only had one choise for cable and tradiational phone. This is pretty typical. What's not typical is that the cable and phone are the same company and there is no other internet option.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 29,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy7774 View Post
most have found the pricing and service to be no better and in some cases worse than Comporium provides.
B.S. Directv is hands down better than Comporium. As good service, more HD channels, better programming, and better price.

I had Comporium/Rock Hill Cable for about 20 years before I changed over to Directv, and there's no way I'm going back anytime soon. I figured the Barnes had enough of my money.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM

63 posts, read 298,971 times
They have a rural service exception which allows them to operate as a monopoly on phone and cable tv, which by default gives them the internet (for now). Time Warner wanted to move into York to offer internet and phone, but has been held up in the SC public service commission.

Personally, I'd have no problem with them if they were run like York Natural Gas or York Electric. But they are not run to give us great service, the latest tech, or a fair price. They are run to bleed us dry on behalf of the Barns family.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
As Rob posted, it's been like this for over a 100 years, our telephones and cable exception added later. The Barnes family owns it all. The rural service exception has been in place forever. If you have a problem or want to complain, you can contact the South Carolina Public Service Commission ... good luck!

SC Public Service Commission

Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM

37 posts, read 104,047 times
Default Directv...Not that great

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAces3 View Post
B.S. Directv is hands down better than Comporium. As good service, more HD channels, better programming, and better price.

I had Comporium/Rock Hill Cable for about 20 years before I changed over to Directv, and there's no way I'm going back anytime soon. I figured the Barnes had enough of my money.
I've had Comporium forever then moved to PA and got Directv. Directv was the worst thing I had ever gotten!! Everytime it RAINED, the TV went out!! I was glad to move back to Fort Mill to get Comporium. I really think it's the location of your house. I also paid a lot more $$ for Directv.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAces3 View Post

Who do you use for internet? I'm with TWC and am happy with them, but in October my promotional rate ends and I'm afraid that they are going to raise the rates through the roof. But the internet is more important to me than the TV, so haven't really looked into DirectTV because of the internet situation (which TW could charge through the nose for if I don't have the TV with them).

Old 08-25-2009, 07:10 PM

615 posts, read 1,693,121 times
This rural exception clause, so does it really prevent other companies from coming in? If so, how come TWC has been allowed to come in on the panhandle? Do most smaller towns have it? What is the purpose of it?

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to comporium. They are more expensive for internet and cable than in other areas I have lived. I had TWC up in PA and had no trouble with them at all.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:39 PM

116 posts, read 550,921 times
Anyone know why Clearwire will not cross the stateline? I see there booths at every mall and having mobile access with my laptop would be wonderful. However, I live just across the line and they said they were unable to 'break" into the "SC Market" due to competition restrictions. Could be BS but look at their map. Something has to explain why it just stops at State line (aka comporium territory)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties