Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 AM

174 posts, read 732,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinthefamily View Post
Well the topic say's most of it. I think I remember I am supposed to apply for something that may also be refered to as a homestead rebate. Does anyone know what it is, where I go and how I do it ?

ANy other money saving tips I should know of ? We need to buy a new mini van next weekend.
Homestead exemption means you pay 4% property tax instead of 6% tax on your primary residence. You apply for this through the York County tax assessors office on Heckle Boulevard. This only applies to a primary residences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:20 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
Homestead exception is completely different from the owner occupancy tax rate. If you go to the DMV and ask for the homestead exception, you'll get the wrong thing to fill out!

As someone has already suggested, get your driver's license and car registrations changed promptly. I received a form in the mail to fill out and just had to send copies with the form. make sure you do this quickly because it is a pretty big difference in the tax rate.

You will save sales tax on the initial purchase of a vehicle if you wait until the no sales tax days, IF autos are included with that. You won't save any money on the property tax though.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:16 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Not sure how it works in SC, but in NC when you purchase a vehicle, you do not pay sales tax. You pay a 3% highway use tax. Some politicinas in NC are trying to change that so you will pay sales tax and give the politicians more $.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:32 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
The real estate taxes in York County are based on two rates (4% owner occupied, 6% non owner occupied). To qualify for the owner occupied rate, you will have to provide proof of residency and fill out a short form at the tax assessor's office (your closing attorney should have given you a copy of the form at closing).

The proof of residency consists of South Carolina vehicle registration and a SC driver's license.

Go to the main York County DMV and you will be able to accomplish the proof of residency there. Be prepared to pay a personal property tax on vehicles coming from out of state (this is based on the value of your vehicles and can be substantial).

Hope this helps.
I have a question about this. When I moved to NC, I had to pay a "highway tax fee" My first set of license plates ran me around 200.00. Then 2 months later I got a bill from my county for "personal property tax" on my car and again had to pay additional money. NC obviously loves to tax your vehicle in many different ways.

Does SC, also have this "highway Tax fee" the first time you register your car, in addition to their personal property tax fee?

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
I don't ever recall anything like that. They will all get your money somehow though whether it is through property tax, sales tax, income tax, etc. Some states of course a little more than others.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 AM

80 posts, read 345,329 times
What do I need to bring with me to get my SC DL? Are there fees to re-title the vehicles and register them in South Carolina in addition to the PPT?

Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 AM

Yes, you will have to pay for your licens, license plate, and registration, but that is all relatively inexpensive.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM

251 posts, read 1,127,691 times
Run, don't walk, to your county tax office and file the papers for owner-occupied residency tax exemption. Contrary to what someone said above--you will save more like 67% (not 2%) on your real estate tax. Reason- the state refunds to the county much of the money levied for school operations, BUT ONLY IF THE HOMEOWNER FILES FOR THE EXEMPTION---otherwise the county collects the full anount from the homeowner!!! Its amazing how many people don't file the exemption...truly stupid. For documentation, take your vehicle registration card, a utility bill, or your closing papers on your house (or similar document). I would take all three if possible. In unincorperated areas, you will find your taxes reduced by about 2/3.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
HI- I went today and filed. WE are in the city limits and incorporated so they said I would pay 4% versus 6% saving money is always good in my book.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:09 PM

Hey, six I went today too. My vehicle tax was only $78 and my registration and tag was $39. The DMV was crowded but moved quickly. Hopefully they will lease the space at the old Winn Dixie across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties