Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,922,744 times

Advertisements

Is there a Way to tell how many of the amount of members are still active? I know Ive seen some members who joined maybe to ask just one question and they havnt returned. Does this number include those types?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM

61,986 posts, read 87,653,804 times
I think that this number represent every member that ever created account with City-Data.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:22 AM

26,269 posts, read 49,188,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that this number represent every member that ever created account with City-Data.
And that includes many tens of thousands of spammers, and banned trolls with many banned accounts.

Would love to see data on the number of unique members on the site in a given week or month.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,351,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Would love to see data on the number of unique members on the site in a given week or month.
That would be really interesting data, but from a marketing/advertising revenue standpoint, it would be suicidal. How many advertising clients would buy space on CD if they figured out that the actual number of active unique members is a small fraction of that total? Probably not many - which would likely either lead to members being charged to use the site, or else the site being shut down.

On an academic level, I'd be intrigued by the answer (and I'm sure it could be answered), but I don't blame Administrator a bit for keeping the data under wraps.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,279,216 times
First of all, anyone even vaguely familiar with this kind of business is perfectly aware that on any website, the number of regular members is only a percentage of the sum total of registrations. Secondly, from what little I personally know about it, it's the traffic and content that count in terms of market value, not static membership numbers. Third, it's not really any secret: most forums have this "Who's Online" feature that shows the number of logged in people at any given time. We have it turned off because it working constantly in the background slows down the site performance. I suppose we have the Life Preview instead.

I can't tell you exactly how many of the registrations are active (and how you calculate that: came back in the past, are still posting, post once in a few months, etc) because I don't have access to this kind of data. I can tell you that currently we have over 900 new threads, over 16 000 new posts and over 700 new registrations a day. Oh, and I found something else. Our record for the number of online members is from last year and is 238 364 members online.

Does it help?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:16 AM

61,986 posts, read 87,653,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
And that includes many tens of thousands of spammers, and banned trolls with many banned accounts.

Well, I might be wrong, but yesterday was a good day to check on that, and I noticed that a new member registered on July 1st, got number 1 186 971 https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0-1186971.html
and banned members still have their assigned numbers ( of course, because assigning those numbers to new members would mess up the sequence).
So, pretty much the total number ( now ~1 188 000 ) includes all banned accounts.

If there is any statistic how many accounts are banned lets say, monthly, then quarterly - one could estimate the number or "active" accounts.
That number would include members that posted only once, few times, or stopped posting while ago...

Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,647,980 times
In some forums, in the admin or moderator control panel u can search users by last login, that number would give u a more precise idea of how many active members there are.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,279,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
In some forums, in the admin or moderator control panel u can search users by last login, that number would give u a more precise idea of how many active members there are.
I don't have access to that kind of feature. Besides, this would only show the login, not taking into account people who come back regularly but only once a week or so. On the other hand, it would include all the spammers and multiple account trolls that just happened to register recently.

To me, the fallacy here is determining the criteria for an "active" member. And how about those, who visit every day but never post? Are they active?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,922,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
I don't have access to that kind of feature. Besides, this would only show the login, not taking into account people who come back regularly but only once a week or so. On the other hand, it would include all the spammers and multiple account trolls that just happened to register recently.

To me, the fallacy here is determining the criteria for an "active" member. And how about those, who visit every day but never post? Are they active?
I woulod probly define it as someone who posts at a miniumum of atleast 5-10 posts within a 7 day period or so. No, I wouldnt consider someone who visits everyday but never posts to be active because they are just observing, they wouldnt be interacting with this particular online community.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 PM

26,269 posts, read 49,188,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
....Does it help?
Yes. Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum