Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm not a moderator - and I'm certainly not trying to sound judgmental - but I really think everyone should be a bit more careful about what they are posting in the forums. I recently read something in a thread which was directly taken off a different website - it was copyrighted by someone - and it was posted without credit being given to the original author.

From a personal POV, it would upset me if someone took something I wrote and posted it somewhere else without giving me credit. But not only that, being that it was copyrighted material, it could potentially cause problems not only for the person who used it without permission, but also for this website.

So please, be careful what you post. If it's not your original material, either get permission to use it, or else direct people to the source. Don't post it without some sort of credit, because otherwise it makes people think it's your own work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM

7,997 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Default Uh oh...I think it was me..

June: Guilty as charged...

Honestly, I forgot. In fact, it wasn't until Blue asked me for the source of what I had quoted that I went and tried to attach the link. (And even then, it didn't dawn on me...)

So: I take ownership for the oversight. I hope you all know that I would never, EVER, plagarize or pretend to post someone else's words as my own. (And I would be pretty upset if anyone did that to me, as well...)

I hope that both the Rabbi who wrote those words, along with anyone here who read them will forgive the fact that I simply forgot. --But thank you for posting this thread, Rob, as otherwise, it never would have dawned on me.

Here is the website/link:

On That Day...

Humbly,
--June: Guilty Of Lapse In Memory

Old 09-03-2007, 01:21 PM

June, I sent you a PM. (Sorry, I will NEVER get used to calling them DMs )

You weren't the reason I started this thread.

Besides, if you look at the website you're referring to, permission has already been granted for the article to be reprinted, so long as it was done in its entirety.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post

You weren't the reason I started this thread.
Huh?

Wow! For an atheist clinician, I sure do have too much of a sense of moral guilt!

--Now I don't know whether I "messed up" inadvertantly or not!

(Either way, I think that Rabbi would somehow forgive me...It's CD that June is worried about!!!)

"gulp"

P.S. Only I would "turn myself in" for something I didn't even do!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:29 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Hmmmm, I am thinking I did this as well. I remember posting an "answer" to a question and by the time I realized I didn't put the link on there, I couldn't edit it. Guess I'll be looking for a summons in the mail . Just kidding! Thanks for the reminder Rob.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
June, settle down You sound like me,always taking the blame whether you did it or not. Isn't that called the guilt complex? Btw I have no idea what I just said about guilt complex So if I have offended anyone, my apologies never get a rest

Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Kawg did it

Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 PM

LOL! You guys are so funny!

I truly wasn't trying to scare anyone. I just want people to be careful so that no one gets in trouble.

I just happened to read a thread this morning, and thought to myself "Hmmm, that looks an awful lot like a cut-and-paste job". So I highlighted part of the post, and pasted it in Google, and sure enough it came back with the website where it was originally posted. I couldn't find anything on the site that granted permission for it to be reprinted, and there is nothing in the post that states where it came from.

So I just wanted to give people a head's up, that's all. Some websites DO grant you full permission ahead of time to reprint the article. That's fine. But if nothing specific is stated, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Well, all I can say is that I'm gunna go do some heavy duty, intensive SELF-THERAPY on myself!

(What is wrong with ME that I would automatically assume that I had to be the "guilty party?")

Hmmmmmm....

(They should never have let me out of my cage, loose on the world or myself...)

Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th
(What is wrong with ME that I would automatically assume that I had to be the "guilty party?")
June, it means you're honest! That's a good thing.

Not honest about being guilty. I mean honest about wanting to be straightforward with people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum