Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:09 AM

3,183 posts, read 2,757,330 times

Advertisements

We have two new fun tools on city-data.com:
Advanced U.S. City Search
and
Compare Two Cities

We'd appreciate any feedback before we promote them everywhere. We are mostly looking for bug reports. New features or big changes will need to wait for the next versions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,979,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Pretty extensive ! I should have first looked at the whole page. Over 50 pages of data on the comparison of two cities. Looks nice so far. I did not see any obvious errors.

Have not finished looking through it completely, will come back.

The number crunchers will probably love it.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,096,570 times
One of the sample photos for San Antonio, Texas has a click on ad....

Quote:
Oasis Motel & Lodge
Pleasenton's best rooms at most affordable prices
Pleasanton is a small town just south of San Antonio. I know it's minor but it's Pleasanton not Pleasenton.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,096,570 times
There's an awesome accumulation of info in these new features. Shouldn't be many questions left unanswered by those looking to compare two cities. Excellent !

Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM

13,430 posts, read 28,837,505 times
The compare two cities is awesome

Old 05-29-2015, 04:00 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,958,698 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
Pretty extensive ! I should have first looked at the whole page. Over 50 pages of data on the comparison of two cities. Looks nice so far. I did not see any obvious errors.
Well 1 thing is it doesnt work w/o scripts (I had to enable them) I dont think thats an error though..

But YES Poncho Its quite extensive,alot of time must have went into this....

Looks good so far!!

Old 05-29-2015, 04:48 PM

10,080 posts, read 15,800,968 times
Looks good except for one of the categories on the City comparison. It said that the town next to me had
462 registered sex offenders. That's crazy. There was a link to the actual data and that said 10.

I am going to check more of them.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 PM

44,431 posts, read 20,195,338 times
Wow! The "Compare Two Cities" is pretty cool! I haven't tried the Advanced City Search yet. Haven't found any bugs yet.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,307,541 times
Off the top of my head, between my two targeted cities (my hometown and DC):

-Racial make-up for my hometown seems off.

-Highest observed summer temperature is way off for my hometown, by about 40˚ F.

-Temperature difference during a year is way off for my hometown.

-Highest daily high temps is also off by about 15˚F in my hometown.

-Air pollution index seems too low considering my hometown ranks as being more polluted than DC in every list out there yet here it places DC as being more polluted. The difference in air quality is also visually more present in my hometown (smog. Or as locals call it; overcast) than it is in DC.

-State government workers is way too low for my hometown considering that The State is the #1 employer for this city.

-Median homebuilt year for my hometown seems off; it says 1971 yet nearly all still-standing properties were built in the 1940s and 1950s.

-Number of convenience stores with gas is way too low for my hometown (or the DC number is way too high).

-Law enforcement numbers are low for my hometown. Or, they could be the correct number for my city itself but my city has two things that DC does not: County Sheriffs (quite a few of them) and Highway Patrol (also quite a few of them). Considering that both County Sherifs and Highway Patrol have full jurisdiction in my hometown, they should be counted, too. At least the Sheriffs since they predominantly operate in my hometown and not necessarily in "the County".

-The arena in my hometown changed its name years ago although every fan still uses the old name listed in the City vs. City profile. Also, the address is listed as being in my hometown but if you look on a map it is outside of the city limits by a good distance.

Also, at least half of my hometown falls outside of the "official" city limits yet everyone considers this area to be a part of the city (the arena is not in this half, btw). This other area is not the suburbs. Don't know how that would factor into things.

About all I can think of for now.

Last edited by K-Luv; 05-29-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,209,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
We have two new fun tools on city-data.com:
Advanced U.S. City Search
and
Compare Two Cities

We'd appreciate any feedback before we promote them everywhere. We are mostly looking for bug reports. New features or big changes will need to wait for the next versions.

Seeing all the interesting statistics when comparing two cities makes that tool very impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum