Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:52 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,105,456 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention that it could be. I want to get a better understanding of this. I love talking about houses and how cheap or expensive they are. I also talk alot about global warming, hurricanes and insurance. I participate in many threads with my advice and opinion. Have I ever said anything offensive? I want to be sure now before the complaints escalate. I feel I am doing something that could be annoying some members but I dont exactly know what. Do I talk about the same topic too much? Is one of the topics I talk about offensive such as house prices dropping? Is talking negative about Florida not allowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 02:03 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
It has come to my attention that it could be. I want to get a better understanding of this. I love talking about houses and how cheap or expensive they are. I also talk alot about global warming, hurricanes and insurance. I participate in many threads with my advice and opinion. Have I ever said anything offensive? I want to be sure now before the complaints escalate. I feel I am doing something that could be annoying some members but I dont exactly know what. Do I talk about the same topic too much? Is one of the topics I talk about offensive such as house prices dropping? Is talking negative about Florida not allowed?
Have people been complaining to you? I havent seen anything offensive.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,158,886 times
I haven't read that many of your posts, but I don't recall any being out of left field, or is that right field?

With so many members, with so many different interests, ideas and opinions, we are bound to be disapproved of somewhere--I have!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:19 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,299,936 times
You seem to get alot of responses to your threads,so people must find them interesting enough to read. I say keep asking all the questions you want and forget the nay sayers they are everywhere.You never get the answers unless you ask.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 PM

32,626 posts, read 77,789,489 times
I find you to be a great asset to this forum, NAH. Your posts are often idealistic and have a "glass half-full" approach; only you could see Oil City, PA as being a "dreamland" of sorts, and I think we need more people like you to give a nod every now and then to struggling small towns in our nation that could use some fresh blood.

As for me, I've been worrying about the same thing. I'm pretty much the "Scranton Cheerleader" on this forum, and I think it might be grating on some people's nerves because I've still had just about zero inquiries about my city from potential transplants. If people have a widespread negative opinion about a city, as they've had about Scranton for so many decades, then it may be irritating to hear someone bringing its name up over and over again. Well, to heck with the "worrying."

SCRANTON, SCRANTON, SCRANTON, SCRANTON, SCRANTON, SCRANTON, SCRANTON, SCRANTON, SCRANTON!

Phew! Well, now I think I'm also sick of hearing my city's name, which is why I'm pleased to announce my plans to bring you a one-on-one "tour" of Wilkes-Barre tomorrow through photos and dialogue that will blow my former photo tours out of the water!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:08 PM

122 posts, read 393,831 times
Ah, NAH, you're posts aren't offensive, just frustrating.

The way you write it seemed like you've already made up your mind and there's nothing anyone could do to change it. At some point I got confused as to just what it was you wanted help with, and was somewhat frustrated. But then, as I read on, I realized you're trying to figure out, "Will this work?" or discussing your options rather than saying, "Solve my problem". Then I stopped being frustrated.

People on forums are more used to the "solve my problem" kind of messages, I think. Probably because that's why most people go to forums- it's usually why I do- because I need specific advice for a specific problem and can't figure it out on my own. Your posts are more conversational than average, I think .

Anyway, I like your posts. The NAH saga is why I keep coming here, afterall! And you totally changed my attitude about house buying. I used to daydream about how expensive a house I could one day afford, how much mortgage I could pay and still be doing alright financially. You made me realize it's better to pay less and have a small or no mortgage rather than being in debt for thirty years. When I move I'm going to a town where buying a house is possible, rather than just a daydream.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:32 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,580,607 times
NAH, your posts are interesting, but I can't help but wonder why you're still posting so often instead of going to Oil City and doing a recon! I want to hear your opinion of it once you've been there in person and looked around a bit. I guess I'm getting impatient with your posts because I'm ready for you to take the next step. And yes, I am living vicariously through you since it will be a few years before I can make my move!

Your posts on global warming are interesting; I just hope you don't mind being squashed by the reminders that global warming can't be blamed for a specific weather event, such as the recent above average temperatures in the northeast.

Like I said before on another thread, I do compliment you for your unique problem-solving skills (who else would have thought of owning two houses, one for storage and one to live in to cut down on heating/cooling costs?!). While your solutions may not always seem realistic, at least you're trying to figure this out ahead of time as much as possible! I truly wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,105,456 times
Thanks for the replies. Ive had some of my posts deleted for being off topic, I was just trying to help, like when one guy was looking for cheap houses in Florida, I told him there arent any and that Texas has some houses as cheap as $50k. I was told such posts like those are off topic. If someone made the exact same post to me, I would find it very helpful! Just because im looking at a particular city state(such as Oil city, PA) doesnt mean im open to other ideas! Ive seen posts deleted in my own threads and I feel I could be missing on good advice.

Wouldnt the whole point of advice be to get a little off topic now and then in order to think outside the box? Many people are frustrated about their state and suggesting other states is helpful. I had one post deleted when I talked about Florida houses possibly dropping by 50%. It may have been a little off topic but the post above was discussing this and I replied to his post with what I thought could happen.

It seems like the new rules are getting very strict on what you can say. I am not going to argue or complain against the rules as I dont own this forum nor do I pay to post. I just feel its a shame I cant contribute without worrying my post will just end deleted. I have never flamed or insulted anyone.

Ive also been told too many of my posts talk about the same topic, should I just stick to one or two threads to countinue the same topic instead of discussing it in several threads? Would the OP who started the thread still see my advice in my own thread that I started?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,281,161 times
I haven't noticed any rules violations in this case. From what I've seen, some other users have complained about certain repetitive posts of yours. I see it as an attempt to find a peaceful solution to avoid flames. OTOH, you can always tell those offended to just ignore you. Can't we all just get along?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,137,680 times
What Sandy said:

Quote:
I can't help but wonder why you're still posting so often instead of going to Oil City and doing a recon! I want to hear your opinion of it once you've been there in person and looked around a bit. I guess I'm getting impatient with your posts because I'm ready for you to take the next step.
Throw your stuff in the car/truck already and GO!!!!

Have you pitched your idea to HGTV? Because I think this would make a great reality TV show.

Head North Young Man, Head North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum