Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

We have 3 internationally adopted children and I know the first hand pain of lack of transparency can cause all parties involved. This is another sad story.

Adoption Battle Over 5-Year Old Boy Pits Missouri Couple Vs. Illegal Immigrant - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
I appreciate that you see this as a problem for everyone. Many people who have either adopted or been on the other sides wouldn't be objective about it. Unfortunately for these 15k kids I do not see any "correct" answer.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Its not really an international adoption story so much as a domestic one. This boy was in the US right?

I'm the mother of two internationally adopted children. While I am completely and totally in support of the Hague Convention, I do think that many NGO's and foreign governments are working on the behalf of lobbies in their own countries, not on the behalf of the more than 100 MILLION orphans worldwide.

I think that everyone needs to remember that a loving family is always preferable to institutionalization.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Its not really an international adoption story so much as a domestic one. This boy was in the US right?

I'm the mother of two internationally adopted children. While I am completely and totally in support of the Hague Convention, I do think that many NGO's and foreign governments are working on the behalf of lobbies in their own countries, not on the behalf of the more than 100 MILLION orphans worldwide.

I think that everyone needs to remember that a loving family is always preferable to institutionalization.
Yes, it seems kind of selfish on the part of the bio-mother who would rather drag her young child through all kinds of difficulties rather than allowing him to have a stable life.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, it seems kind of selfish on the part of the bio-mother who would rather drag her young child through all kinds of difficulties rather than allowing him to have a stable life.
Easy to say when it's not your child though isn't it?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Why does she want the kid back? So he can join the Mexican drug gang?? He looks happier with the foster parents. And they seem well educated and capable of providing a good education.

Besides, I hate newsreaders who try to act cool, yet commit the most severe of fashion Faux Pas.

Black suit. Wider lapels. And a skinny tie??? And a black one at that?? Shame

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Why does she want the kid back? So he can join the Mexican drug gang?? He looks happier with the foster parents. And they seem well educated and capable of providing a good education.

Besides, I hate newsreaders who try to act cool, yet commit the most severe of fashion Faux Pas.

Black suit. Wider lapels. And a skinny tie??? And a black one at that?? Shame
Yes i guess that means all poor parents should just put their children up for adoption then :roll eyes:.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
This really isn't international or really even about adoption per se, it's really more of a domestic immigration issue. My personal take would be that if the only criminality that can be determined is the act of immigrating illegally and the parent desires the child back, then they should be reunited. People were outraged when that Japanese mother took her kids to Japan and the father who had custody in the US was fighting desperately to get them back and the Japanese government was saying no. While there are differences in this case, there are similarities as well.

The US has a commitment to honoring all human rights and constitutionally guaranteed freedoms for all people in the US regardless of citizneship. Yet, in this case, there would have been a clear difference between how a US citizen would have been treated and how these parents were treated.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
This really isn't international or really even about adoption per se, it's really more of a domestic immigration issue. My personal take would be that if the only criminality that can be determined is the act of immigrating illegally and the parent desires the child back, then they should be reunited. People were outraged when that Japanese mother took her kids to Japan and the father who had custody in the US was fighting desperately to get them back and the Japanese government was saying no. While there are differences in this case, there are similarities as well.

The US has a commitment to honoring all human rights and constitutionally guaranteed freedoms for all people in the US regardless of citizneship. Yet, in this case, there would have been a clear difference between how a US citizen would have been treated and how these parents were treated.
Sadly people like this suffer due to the fact she is an illegal immigrant. That being said i don't think she will get her child back due to the time frame he has been away from her. And her need to return to a much lower standard of living that this child is used too.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Agreed. I hate it when stories like this are used as an example of "international adoption gone wrong" where this has nothing to do with international adoption and doesn't resemble the international adoption process a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption