Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 PM

5,332 posts, read 6,029,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
But if the mother hadn't kicked the teen out, but had instead required her to return from the hospital to Mom's home, without the baby (I'm assuming the mother would have the legal authority to force her minor daughter to do this), wouldn't CPS have stepped in and taken the child, and wouldn't the teen mother's parental rights have been terminated? Of course this wouldn't work if the teen were 18+, but why wouldn't it work for a girl below that age?

I am assuming that this is what is people mean when they say they wouldn't let a pregnant daughter keep the child, if the daughter doesn't voluntarily make an adoption plan.
Nope. Same result. If Mom does not want her teen to return home with the infant, Mom needs to come up with an alternate plan that provides for the safety and well being of the teen. Sometimes this means the teen and infant go and live with another family member or friend.

If the teen mother moves in with a friend/boyfriend, contributes toward household expenses or otherwise rents a room without relying on her parents' support, she would be eligible to ask the Court to declare her emancipated.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
[quote=forum_browser;29715017]But if the mother hadn't kicked the teen out, but had instead required her to return from the hospital to Mom's home, without the baby (I'm assuming the mother would have the legal authority to force her minor daughter to do this), wouldn't CPS have stepped in and taken the child, and wouldn't the teen mother's parental rights have been terminated? Of course this wouldn't work if the teen were 18+, but why wouldn't it work for a girl below that age?

I am assuming that this is what is people mean when they say they wouldn't let a pregnant daughter keep the child, if the daughter doesn't voluntarily make an adoption plan.[/quote

Yes. That would be what people mean.

It is impractical and impossible for a 15 year old to raise a child on her own. She will not be able to enter into a contract such as a lease and thus, would be unable to find housing. How can a 15 year old find a job? She can't.

The choices are clear. Grandparents raise the child or the teenagers and baby become welfare dependent.

I want neither for myself or my children.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,670,239 times
A pregnant teenage girl should see an attorney or some sort of legal services before she tells anyone about the pregnancy. She has options and there may be as many as 5 other people financially responsible.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A pregnant teenage girl should see an attorney or some sort of legal services before she tells anyone about the pregnancy. She has options and there may be as many as 5 other people financially responsible.

Who would pay for this attorney? The parents of the girl? The government?

Why not prevent this whole mess with birth control? Sounds easy enough to me.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If you have invested in problem solving skills from day one, you don't have to "intensify" anything. Hopefully in the handful of years before they leave the house, they are actually getting MORE adept at handling themselves, not less.

I don't know what you are talking about.

My children do not want to raise children while they are students. They handle themselves appropriately and one already goes away to college and is doing very well thank you.

My children look down on teen parents and have no desire to raise children at this time in their lives.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:33 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,402,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
But if the mother hadn't kicked the teen out, but had instead required her to return from the hospital to Mom's home, without the baby (I'm assuming the mother would have the legal authority to force her minor daughter to do this), wouldn't CPS have stepped in and taken the child, and wouldn't the teen mother's parental rights have been terminated? Of course this wouldn't work if the teen were 18+, but why wouldn't it work for a girl below that age?

I am assuming that this is what is people mean when they say they wouldn't let a pregnant daughter keep the child, if the daughter doesn't voluntarily make an adoption plan.
I think you are assuming correctly here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is impractical and impossible for a 15 year old to raise a child on her own. She will not be able to enter into a contract such as a lease and thus, would be unable to find housing. How can a 15 year old find a job? She can't.
I hadn't even thought of this but legally, as a minor, a teenager does has very limited control over how she/he can proceed as a parent. They cannot sign a contract until age 18, car insurance, rent a home or apartment, obtain a job that earns enough to care for them and a child, cannot even enter into the Armed Services.

The idea that what they did or didn't do to cause the pregnancy combined with their desire to parent doesn't really substitute the maturity required to even become an adequate parent, let alone a good one. Admittedly, Some adults fall into this category too !

Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,490,123 times
I neither support nor oppose teenage pregnancy; if it's not my partner's pregnancy it's none of my business. Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 05-25-2013 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Rude comments

Old 05-25-2013, 12:36 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,402,144 times
Default No Personal Attacks

Let's keep this civil. Keep personal attacks or rude comments out of your posts or they will be deleted and the thread closed.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,194,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why not prevent this whole mess with birth control? Sounds easy enough to me.
I think everyone here has said they believe in preventative measures like birth control.

Moderator Cut

Not all teenage pregnancies are the result of parental neglect.

So it all depends on the families. For my family adoption would be an unnecessary risk.

Choosing to keep a family member when adoption is not in their best interests does not = promoting teenage parenthood. My unhappiness with the situation would take a back-seat to what is best for my family & most of all for the child.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-25-2013 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Flaming in nature

Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Um.
If my kid got pregnant, I would do everything I could to take care of that kid.
It's family.
Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-25-2013 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Flaming in nature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption