Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

I'm just getting into this whole "who's black" conversation at large. I've never known for this topic to be an issue considering that I thought that Ethiopians, Somalis, and Eritreans were black. I don't even think if these people are black because as a black person, I know black when I see it. They don't look like whites, Muslims, or Arabs. They look like blacks just with different features. If they were mixed in with Egyptians and Arabs and I had to go find blacks to hang with, I would automatically pick Ethiopians, Somalis, and Eritreans. However, there have been people saying they these people aren't black. Really what are they considered? SN: I hope I haven't offened anyone.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
I have two somalian friends who are sisters. They aren't sure what they consider themselves. Most people think their black. I mean, if you look at them, they look black. But if your really upclose and see their features, they look middle-eastern. They just accept people calling them either one. They primarily identity themselves as middle-eastern but Somalia is in Africa so technically they are African but still middle eastern. Like I said, it's confusing to them what to identify with...I can see why they don't care to label themselves in any particular group.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 AM

337 posts, read 929,575 times
The definition of "blackness" is more of a social thing than a racial one. That is, it differs from country to country, and depends on a variety of factors. Who's black in the US may not be in Latin America, for instance.

Ethiopians (I've known a few of them) like to point to the heavy Semitic component in their ancestry as marking them off from the "blacker" Africans to the south. The major Ethiopian language, Amharic, is Semitic.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
They are what they want to be. If they want to be black, they are black. If they want to be Arab / Middle Eastern, they are Arab / Middle Eastern.

Self-identification is everything.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
If race has any meaning Africa has more "races" than any other place out there and probably more than the rest of the world combined.

Saying that I would say most African-Americans are probably not of the same "race" as people from the Horn of Africa and relatively few are of the same race as Obama. I believe most African-Americans descend from peoples of West and Central Africa. There's some East African, but so far as I know very little "Horn of Africa." Although people from the Horn of Africa themselves have some admixtures due to nomads from other parts of Africa. And African-Americans may have received some admixtures from Afro-Caribbeans as I think some African peoples were sent to the Caribbean that weren't set to the thirteen-colonies so much.

Anyway I think in a technical sense Ethiopians et alia are Afro-Asiatic. Specifically a mix of Semitic and "Black African" peoples. In the case of Ethiopia I think they have some pride in "being Black African", but traditionally they also had pride/recognition as being Semites. (By Semite I don't mean Jewish as Ethiopian Jews were a minority)

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM

I've never known for this to be such a huge topic at hand. When I see these group of people, I don't see anything but black people. They do look like they have been mixed with Central/Western Africans and Northern Africans hence locations, but I've never mistaken them for Arabs or Middle Easterners...NO WAY!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM

95 posts, read 315,599 times
Of course they are Black. Black people come in thousands of different shades and features. You cannot categorize Black. They definitely are seen as Black when they come to the US and are racially profiled.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 AM

somalia's wicked models - YouTube
Ethiopian girls vs somalian girls - YouTube
Love to Ethiopian women - YouTube

Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Ethiopia is a very interesting country, and I think it deserves more research from anthropologists and historians of the world's top Universities, and more exposure in documentary films, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, etc.

It's a very unique place. When Europe was in the Middle Ages, by the 14th century, many decades before the first Portuguese navigators reach the North of Africa, Ethiopia was already a complex society, with its own language (distinct from Arab), its own alphabet (distinct from Arab alphabet), its own Christian Ortodox Church, and some castles and villages.

Ethiopia should have many unexplored archaeological treasures...

Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm just getting into this whole "who's black" conversation at large. I've never known for this topic to be an issue considering that I thought that Ethiopians, Somalis, and Eritreans were black. I don't even think if these people are black because as a black person, I know black when I see it. They don't look like whites, Muslims, or Arabs. They look like blacks just with different features. If they were mixed in with Egyptians and Arabs and I had to go find blacks to hang with, I would automatically pick Ethiopians, Somalis, and Eritreans. However, there have been people saying they these people aren't black. Really what are they considered? SN: I hope I haven't offened anyone.
Are Italians, French, and Greeks white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa