Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apteryx View Post
I have traveled in South Africa many times to all of the major cities. The cities I have ever felt unsafe in have been Joburg and Pretoria. Using common sense works best at all times. Don't walk around at night, generally. (Although that is a rule of thumb all over the world) I stayed in East London for a few months with a friend and I felt safe around the downtown area even after hanging out at bars for the night and so on and we'd usually be fine. As I said, Johannesburg is definitely the city with the most informal settlements, townships, slums, and other "inner-city" areas, such as Hillbrow. In short, as a tourist, you'll be fine. Just use common sense. If you're seriously thinking about moving to the African continent, anyone, though, I would recommend Namibia over South Africa any day.
Ok never mind saw the other thread its look quite nice a hidden gem for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 PM

34 posts, read 130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Just curious what do you like about Namibia over SA?

I feel bad for SA it seems to be going the way of Zimbabwe running all white farmers off and then they will have to import food.

I was really trying to understand the problems with SA. I know they are complicated for sure. I couldn't help but wonder if the lure of diamonds was driving hardened criminals there. After watching some documentaries uploaded on YT it really reminded me of parts of Mexico I have been to where you have ultra rich not far from people with no running water.
Well, for one, Namibia is certainly much safer! And is also much more stable in terms of its government. There isn't as much racial animosity there either, although white people still control much of the small amounts of farmland, but for the most part the government has stayed out of it. The white Namibians I met did not have a general attitude of the government working against them as many white South Africans I have met have felt.

Going back to the safety issue - I stayed in Windhoek for a year, and it was an incredible experience. People were extremely friendly and welcoming, even more so than in South Africa. Plus, Namibia has a total population of something like 2 million, so even the largest cities aren't massive, but still have a good "big city feel" to them. Windhoek is a great town, and offers much of what many towns in South Africa can without the crime problems, corruption, etc. There also aren't nearly as many informal settlements or townships. There are a few outside Windhoek, but I didn't notice any others around any other cities, like Walvis Bay or Swakopmund. It's very safe too, I felt safer walking around some areas of Windhoek at night than I felt in Joburg during the day at times. Most white Namibians I met didn't have any typical "I was held up at gunpoint" or "my car was hijacked" stories you get in South Africa from a lot of people.

So yeah, Namibia is often overlooked, but in my opinion it's probably my most favorite country I have ever traveled to in my life. Much safer than South Africa, and it offers many of the same things, and is even more modern in many ways.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apteryx View Post
Well, for one, Namibia is certainly much safer! And is also much more stable in terms of its government. There isn't as much racial animosity there either, although white people still control much of the small amounts of farmland, but for the most part the government has stayed out of it. The white Namibians I met did not have a general attitude of the government working against them as many white South Africans I have met have felt.

Going back to the safety issue - I stayed in Windhoek for a year, and it was an incredible experience. People were extremely friendly and welcoming, even more so than in South Africa. Plus, Namibia has a total population of something like 2 million, so even the largest cities aren't massive, but still have a good "big city feel" to them. Windhoek is a great town, and offers much of what many towns in South Africa can without the crime problems, corruption, etc. There also aren't nearly as many informal settlements or townships. There are a few outside Windhoek, but I didn't notice any others around any other cities, like Walvis Bay or Swakopmund. It's very safe too, I felt safer walking around some areas of Windhoek at night than I felt in Joburg during the day at times. Most white Namibians I met didn't have any typical "I was held up at gunpoint" or "my car was hijacked" stories you get in South Africa from a lot of people.

So yeah, Namibia is often overlooked, but in my opinion it's probably my most favorite country I have ever traveled to in my life. Much safer than South Africa, and it offers many of the same things, and is even more modern in many ways.
Great thanks for the tip! I am not opposed to adventure I went to Egypt just after the Arab spring began.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM

9 posts, read 24,571 times
Default South Africa is Safer than you think

I am a South African and proud of it! I hear many fears and concerns about our Country, however I can actually tell you that South Africa is the second safest Country in Africa. I am not going to deny that our Crime rate is high, however if you take in consideration the crime rates in the rest of the world South Africa almost seems normal. Reasons here for the high crime rate is being handled more effectively and I am proud to say that the rate has gone down. We have a beautiful country, with even more beautiful people! Come and enjoy our beautiful Country as we do!!! However, please take note, if you come into Africa, not just South Africa, do not carry expensive cameras around your neck or even flash thousand of dollars in your purse. I tell this to everyone so I hope no one takes offense. However, in South Africa there is a minority of people who will take advantage of you and will try and take this from you!
So if ever you feel you want to visit South Africa, feel free! We are truly not as bad as people make us out to be!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Hello,

Just curious, as I was planning a trip from the U.S. to South Africa, how dangerous is it really? You read and hear about so much corruption and violent crimes, but I wonder what the truth really is. I would like to hear it from the people of South Africa. Your insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to you
I'm reading Alan Paton's novel, 'Cry, The Beloved Country'. Try reading that book and you will get an idea. I'm writing this because I too am wondering if Johannesberg is still as dangerous as how Paton describes it. My daughter goes on business trips to southern countries in Africa (but not South Africa yet) and they also say South Africa is very dangerous and chaotic.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annelizeslip View Post
...We have a beautiful country, with even more beautiful people! Come and enjoy our beautiful Country as we do!!!...

So if ever you feel you want to visit South Africa, feel free! We are truly not as bad as people make us out to be!
I remember working at a lodge in a national park in California while in college and checked in an older couple from South Africa (Cape Town). They came back and forth asking about information about Yosemite from me during their stay and we found we had something in common - they had the same very rare last name as my mother. I told them I'd like to visit South Africa someday and they straight up told me that if I came to Cape Town I was welcome to stay at their house! They told me how warm and welcoming the people were there and that I would have a great time. Really regret never taking them up on their kind offer.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
The only person I ever knew well who became a murder victim was killed in...

You guessed it, South Africa.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:44 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Reality is this. You will think South Africa is safe, till you get in trouble. If your wife/child gets raped or your husband killed, then there is no going back. You can have nothing happening with you for 5 years, but then something happens and devastates your life.

South Africa is a very risky country. Its not a country where someone is waiting to rob you the minute you step out of the airport. But it is a country where it is likely to happen eventually. I do not recommenced to live in South Africa or any country where the crime rate is high. Stay in safe countries.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:51 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annelizeslip View Post
however I can actually tell you that South Africa is the second safest Country in Africa.
Haha, no it isn't. Algeria, Morocco, Mauritius are the safest countries in terms of homicide rates. Their rate is about a 1/20 of South Africa. There are plenty of countries in between, and there is plenty of countries who don't have the same rape problem.

I think visiting as a tourist is okay, but you should travel in groups.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:52 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
According to a Gallop poll done last year, Rwanda is the safest place in Africa. Interesting article about it. They mention South Africa's place in the poll as well. To those living in SA, do you think its worse now than say 10 years ago?

allAfrica.com: Africa: Rwanda Safest Place to Live in Africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa