Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 8,089 times

Advertisements

its safe and you will be fine as long as if you don't get over anxious then nothing bad will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
As a tourist from anywhere in the economically developed world, I would still make South Africa the #1 country in Africa to visit for a first time visitor to the continent, regardless of its crime.

Coming from the US the idea of a segregated nation, where inner city areas of concentrations of impoverished, disadvantaged, desperate angry male minorities being places of a high crime, that one should avoid, is something that while maybe even worse is at least familiar.

The rest of the continent with poorer physical infrastructure, poorer health facilities/more risk of disease, government instability, etc. are challenges that one must have a much better knowledge of and be more travel savvy.

I'm truly not trying to sound racist. Merely stating that as an American, these are issues that one can more easily understand and be prepared for. That's not to say to just ignore the other countries or write them off, but rather problems of much of the rest of continent are simply more foreign to Americans.

There would be much more incidental health and safety related expenses that one I imagine would have to consider traveling to a less developed nation.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAzizam View Post
its safe and you will be fine as long as if you don't get over anxious then nothing bad will happen.
Well, the same thing can be said for other unsafe countries like Mexico, Venezuela, Honduras, Brazil, etc., right? Which means, I think your response just isn't specific enough.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:55 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Well, I certainly hope to visit South Africa in 2016.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:40 PM

Are campus shootings and shootings in movie theaters, or any other random shootings just as common(as in US) in South Africa?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:24 AM

277 posts, read 380,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Are campus shootings and shootings in movie theaters, or any other random shootings just as common(as in US) in South Africa?
Definitely not as common as the incidents in the US. I can't even think of a time where there has been a shooting in any movie theatres in Jo'burg.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Definitely not as common as the incidents in the US. I can't even think of a time where there has been a shooting in any movie theatres in Jo'burg.
Then what makes crime rate(including homicides/murder) in South Africa extremely high? Is gun ownership illegal there??

Last edited by OZpharmer; 09-23-2015 at 02:20 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Then what makes crime rate(including homicides/murder) in South Africa extremely high? Is gun ownership illegal there??
A lot of the crime is more localised to Gauteng. Basically high poverty + high unemployment = more crime. Since a lot of the money sits in Gauteng, more crime tends to happen here. The difference though is that a lot of the crime can be very violent as the criminals get away with more and more. So it's not uncommon to hear people getting killed when all the robber wanted was the guy's cellphone. I think it's an average of around 45-47 murders per day or something? Basically it happens so often most of them don't even make the news anymore.

Gun ownership is legal but the law is more in favour of the criminal than the citizen. I'm not 100% clued up on it all but it was something like you have to inform the burglar that you have a gun, then fire warning shots and then only once the guy actually attacks you then you are allowed to fire back in self defense.

On top of that our police force can be useless most of the time (not all of them) but there are so many corruption cases and cases where the police just bully the public. Stories of they'll just drop you off outside a township and drive away. They'll pull you over and make up a story how you've had too much to drink and they then suggest a bribe (I've been a victim of this a few times). So public confidence in the police is at a low.

tl;dr
Many factors pushes the crime rate up. I don't see it changing much until the government corruption is sorted out and they start addressing the core issues such as poverty which leads people to that lifestyle. However our current government has already stated that they're going to "rule" until Jesus returns

Old 10-12-2015, 06:22 AM

155 posts, read 148,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
Basically high poverty + high unemployment = more crime.
This equation appears logical but is certainly not universal.

I've lived in South Africa most of my life and now live in the Philippines where there is more poverty, very high unemployment but far less crime. People here are far less entitled and prepared to work very hard for very little ... not entitled like many South Africans!

Old 10-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
This equation appears logical but is certainly not universal.

I've lived in South Africa most of my life and now live in the Philippines where there is more poverty, very high unemployment but far less crime. People here are far less entitled and prepared to work very hard for very little ... not entitled like many South Africans!
True. Perhaps it's a tad oversimplified It's unfortunately quite a complex situation we're in. I mean even if we miraculously voted the ANC out in favour of the DA. It's still going to be a good number of years before we might start seeing any real change (assuming the DA didn't just turn into another ANC)

It's 1 of those things where I really wish I could see SA get better and reach it's real potential, but I have my doubts that I might get to see it in my lifetime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa