Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times

Advertisements

In my experience, I've found that immigrants to the US are not very nice or friendly people. Those are not the kind of people who emigrate. They have a superior attitude about themselves, they have contempt for their countrymen who did not go abroad looking for the rich lifestyle, and they have no pride for their home country. They never want to talk to Americans about their country, and seem to be ashamed of their country, and ashamed to be associated with it. Not just Africans, but immigrants to the US from all over the world seem to have that attitude.

Maybe that explains why the African women you have met don't seem to be the kinds of people you enjoy the company of. On your next vacation, fly to Africa, ride buses into the bush, see what Africans are really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Women sometimes hate on other pretty woman. It really could be that simple. I have had women come up to me and say how much they hated that I was small and petite. Their problem, not mine. As far as the men, some African men are from wealthy families in their home countries. The stereotype of the poor immigrant escaping a war torn country is often just a stereotype. Many African men and women come to the U.S. to go to college, and work.
Maybe it was a backwards compliment. By saying 'I hate how pretty you are!' they're just acknowledging you are pretty? With a tinge of jealousy, no doubt lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,190,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I live here in charlotte nc, and am originally from NJ. Why is it time and time again when i run into a woman that came here from a country in Africa, she always has a dirty attitude towards me? And why is it that every african male that ive ever met has always told me that he was rich and building a mansion back in " his country"? if thats the case, why are they here in the usa instead of back in their country?
Maybe it's because of the dirty attitude that many Africans receive from African-Americans.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM

277 posts, read 507,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstiffany View Post
I live here in charlotte nc, and am originally from NJ. Why is it time and time again when i run into a woman that came here from a country in Africa, she always has a dirty attitude towards me? And why is it that every african male that ive ever met has always told me that he was rich and building a mansion back in " his country"? if thats the case, why are they here in the usa instead of back in their country?
Why are you starting trouble. I met African women throughout the U.S. and they have been kind. I met plenty of African men and never heard a story about them being rich and building a mansion. Why this keep happening to you.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
From what I see,it works both ways.
As a matter of fact,since you are in the south,I have had more dirty looks from black women in the south,and I'm from Jersey. This happened when I was down there. I find southern women to be very snobbish and judgemental.. it seems if you have natural hair,they hate it.. ughh.

I find Africans in Nj to be very friendly.
But it all depends their country of origin. In general,Ghanians are the nicest,followed by other West Africans. The least nice women in Africa imo are Kenyans.

Btw,I have seen more hateful interactions between Caribbean black women and African women more than African women and AA women.
Now if you would have said Jamaican women..whew,they are VERY full of it.

Ok,to answer your question,is it in work related siuations?
Why are you people doing this. How are you people encountering nasty people as such. I've been throughout the south and the people there were kind both men and women and my hair is natural too. It looks like you people are trying to start an internet war amongst black people African or not. Kenyan women are nice and so are the men. That's has been my encounter with them.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Interesting. What type of situations were these? Is there an issue which causes this conflict more than others?
That's what I'm wondering. I never had that experienced.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In my experience, I've found that immigrants to the US are not very nice or friendly people. Those are not the kind of people who emigrate. They have a superior attitude about themselves, they have contempt for their countrymen who did not go abroad looking for the rich lifestyle, and they have no pride for their home country. They never want to talk to Americans about their country, and seem to be ashamed of their country, and ashamed to be associated with it. Not just Africans, but immigrants to the US from all over the world seem to have that attitude.

Maybe that explains why the African women you have met don't seem to be the kinds of people you enjoy the company of. On your next vacation, fly to Africa, ride buses into the bush, see what Africans are really like.
I've never seen the lack of pride thing. They tend to be proud of where they are from. The gal I was married to seemed perplexed by much she saw and read about the AA people. Just because people have have common roots does not mean they are culturally the same or have anything in common. There are unfriendly nasty people everywhere, maybe it just happened the OP found a few immigrants like that.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,190,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

That's exactly why some aren't friendly. Should tourists that come to see the U.S. drive into the country and find the country hicks to see what Americans are really like? Immigrants aren't ashamed of their countries. They just don't want to be bothered with ignorant people and their ridiculous comments, such as the ones you posted.

The majority of immigrants are immensenly proud of ther countries and do their best to preserve their traditions here. Ask their first generation American children how their families often emphasize being a *insert ethnicity*-American. You must not really be around many immigrants or pay much attention, because wherever there are immigrant communities, you are bound to find different festivals, foods etc.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's exactly why some aren't friendly. Should tourists that come to see the U.S. drive into the country and find the country hicks to see what Americans are really like? Immigrants aren't ashamed of their countries. They just don't want to be bothered with ignorant people and their ridiculous comments, such as the ones you posted.

The majority of immigrants are immensenly proud of ther countries and do their best to preserve their traditions here. Ask their first generation American children how their families often emphasize being a *insert ethnicity*-American. You must not really be around many immigrants or pay much attention, because wherever there are immigrant communities, you are bound to find different festivals, foods etc.
I've been to quite a few countries, and when ever I meet someone from a country I've been to, I always open up and show an interest in talking about their country. They are never interested, and usually blow me off to the point or rudeness. The "ridiculous comments I posted" are based on that kind of experience. That is quite different from the rubes you referenced, who ask them questions like "Just where the hell is Africa, anyway?"

By the way, do you really believe that "country hicks" are less knowledgeable about the world than the erudite denizens of whatever glittering metropolitan hellhole you live in? The District of Columbia has a higher school dropout rate than any state that has "country hicks", so that is all the further a visitor needs to go to find the maximum concentration of ignorant and uneducated people.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/dc-t...uation-rate-us
Only 59% of DC students stay in school long enough to graduate, compared to 86-88% of the country hicks in Iowa, Nebraska and Tennessee. That's not just Washington -- every city has more ignorant dropouts than in the surrounding countryside:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/ed...pout.html?_r=0

Last edited by jtur88; 12-15-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 03:23 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,772,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Women sometimes hate on other pretty woman. It really could be that simple. I have had women come up to me and say how much they hated that I was small and petite.
In many parts of Africa black women and basically people in general are supposed to be a bit obese as that means you are not poor because obviously you can afford lots of food Petite women are not considered attractive in many parts of Africa, maybe they carry that attitude with them when they go to the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa