Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times

Advertisements

There were a couple photos in the articles of people that had used the bleaching agents. It's good that they started an anti-bleaching campaign. They should do that in all countries with this problem. I think its really wrong to be using this stuff on ones children. Bad enough to put themselves at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It seems to be that the blame for this self esteem issue is always placed on colonialism. The truth is that most cultures of the world have valued lighter features for all recorded time. I have light brown/dark blonde hair and I even highlight it to make it look lighter (It looks very good btw. lol). Colonialism had no bearing on my mind, nor do I have any jealousy towards people who have lighter hair than I. I just want to make myself look good.

I don't think there is anything wrong about wanting to change someone's appearance. The concern I would have in this situation is that these chemicals that bleach skin are very dangerous. One of my Dominican friends has an aunt that is blind due to overuse of skin bleaching agents.

'Light is in' is probably here to stay, as it has always been. Perhaps rather than try in vain to change people's attitudes towards this we should try to make attaining lighter features a safer process.
Colonialism is the cause of this. That is the truth. Highlighting your hair is not the same as self-mutilation, which is what skin bleaching is. This goes beyond changing one's appearance. Skin bleaching is about attempting to destroy all the negatives that White Supremacy has attached to dark skin. Black skin. That is what this is about. It is White Supremacy that says 'Light is in'. There is nothing safe about attaining lighter features because one will have to destroy themselves in the process. So yes, it is mandatory to keep trying to change people's attitudes toward this.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
This is happening all over the world,Asia,Africa,and Latin America.
What do all those continents have in common? Colonization by Europeans.
I have read plenty of poetry pre colonial days from cultures that praised dark hair and eyes,and dark skin.

But these people are forgetting something. Their features still give it away that they are African.
African features and white skin don't mix. So they aren't fooling anyone.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Nigeria leads the world with the highest percentage (77%) of women using skin-lightening products according to the WHO.
That doesn't sound accurate at all, seems like a gross exaggeration; unless i'm reading it wrong.

- Do they mean that 77% of the bleachers in Africa are in Nigeria?

OR

- 77% of Nigerian women bleach?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 PM

The 3rd article stated 77 percent of Nigerian women used products to lighten their skin.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Someone left me a comment that they are trying to be white,just look lighter,as in a light skinned black person

Ok,but its the same thing. They are still trying to look lighter. I didn't say white either.
Even though,that's plausible. I also read that many African women perm their hair and wear wigs.
Their isn't anything wrong with wearing one,but why is it a different texture than their own hair?
Because straight hair is seen as more beautiful,that's why. The influence of white culture.
Europeans usually have straight hair. Even whites that have a coarses hair texture are encouraged to have it straightened.

Then,you look at the media. Beautiful dark skinned women still aren't shown as much as lighter ones.

So the problem is...why aren't dark skinned women shown in the media more?
(Hollywood,Bollywood,Univision,and Nollywood)

Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM

My ex liked the hair extension braids. She didn't have a desire to have her own natural hair straightened or permed though. I don't see anything wrong with changing hairstyles, that's just how people are. And people often want what they don't have. If its too straight ya wish it was more curly, and vice versa.

I think as the nation continues to blend you will see more darker skinned women in better roles. I don't pay any attention to the media and Hollywood. But certainly many people follow everything they do.

This article asks much the same question regarding why there are not more dark skinned women in positive roles in Hollywood.
Is It Just Me, Or Do Women Of Darker Complexions Always Get Cast In The Stereotypical, Negative Roles? | Madame Noire | Black Women's Lifestyle Guide | Black Hair | Black Love

Precious: How unknown actress Gabourey Sidibe is now being tipped for Oscar stardom | Mail Online

Unveiling 10 Hot New Nollywood Actresses...How They Are Taking Over - nigeriafilms.com

Several models with darker skin tone.
Nigeria's Fashion Week in Lagos (PHOTOS) | GlobalPost

Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Someone left me a comment that they are trying to be white,just look lighter,as in a light skinned black person

Ok,but its the same thing. They are still trying to look lighter. I didn't say white either.
Even though,that's plausible. I also read that many African women perm their hair and wear wigs.
Their isn't anything wrong with wearing one,but why is it a different texture than their own hair?
Because straight hair is seen as more beautiful,that's why. The influence of white culture.
Europeans usually have straight hair. Even whites that have a coarses hair texture are encouraged to have it straightened.

Then,you look at the media. Beautiful dark skinned women still aren't shown as much as lighter ones.

So the problem is...why aren't dark skinned women shown in the media more?
(Hollywood,Bollywood,Univision,and Nollywood)
Dark-skinned women are often shown in Nollywood, as they should. Also, as limited as their exposure is in Hollywood, Dark-skinned are shown more there than in Univision and Nollywood. Hollywood can do better for sure, but Univision and Nollywood should be ashamed for the way they render dark-skinned women invisible.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I can't count the times I've heard a white/Caucasian/European woman exclaim "OMG I'm so white!" or when wearing shorts for the first time in the summer saying "My legs are so pale!". And then they race for the nearest tanning salon or lay out in the sun despite the danger trying to get that golden brown look. I've been guilty of tanning before a trip to Hawaii just so I wouldn't look like a pasty-skinned tourist and could better blend in with the locals.

People can't leave themselves alone. Simple as that. Its nothing new, every culture does it in a myriad of different ways. People are never satisfied with how they look. Plastic surgery, tattoos, piercings, gauged ears (Africa gave the world that mutilation), tanning/lightening skin, dying hair, makeup, etc, etc, etc... Maybe there is some cultural imperative in Africa towards skin lightening that reflects an admiration/envy of European racial characteristics, but the tinkering with the appearance of the human body is old as humanity itself.
This is the truest comment on this thread rather than always trying to villify someone for a trait, fad, whatever. I thought black was beautiful in America right now, more so than it ever has been. There are black commentators on the news shows, black sitcoms, black cable Tv, FGS, our president is black and regardless of what most want to think, displeasure with the current president is not because he is black for most white people.

I would hope that black people would not go the bleaching route. It is so destructive and dangerous. I beg my 16 yr old gd not to go out and tan so dark every summer until she is almost mahogany because it isn't good for her.

Bleaching and tanning is about what was said above, "people can't leave themselves alone."

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Colonialism is the cause of this. That is the truth. Highlighting your hair is not the same as self-mutilation, which is what skin bleaching is. This goes beyond changing one's appearance. Skin bleaching is about attempting to destroy all the negatives that White Supremacy has attached to dark skin. Black skin. That is what this is about. It is White Supremacy that says 'Light is in'. There is nothing safe about attaining lighter features because one will have to destroy themselves in the process. So yes, it is mandatory to keep trying to change people's attitudes toward this.
oh, please. I am white and I know I have not had your experiences in being black but, totally believe we are moving past this kind of thing and we will, if people will let go of the old prejudices, black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa