Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 AM

23 posts, read 30,126 times

Advertisements

The darker that skin the less likely it will look 50 years old when it's only 30 years old around the eyes. And still have a beautiful pair of lips that don't need injections of some body fatties to look younger.IJS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 AM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
I will say that even in my predominantly White middle school, they did talk about the empires of Mali, Ghana and Songhai. They talked about Mansa Musa and trade routes through the Sahara between North and sub Saharan Africa.

Even growing up in a community with a strong Irish American population, there was mention of "Black" Irish and influence by the Moors in Ireland.

There is also some connection in DNA between some in present day Nigeria and Jews in the Middle East. This doesn't even get into Beta Israel in Ethiopia/Eastern Africa.

It is also no coincidence that Ethiopia is a Greek word that means "sunburnt faces" and even the word Africa is a Latin word in reference to North Africans. Those south of the Sahara call themselves Bantu or "mankind".

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I will say that even in my predominantly White middle school, they did talk about the empires of Mali, Ghana and Songhai. They talked about Mansa Musa and trade routes through the Sahara between North and sub Saharan Africa.

Even growing up in a community with a strong Irish American population, there was mention of "Black" Irish and influence by the Moors in Ireland.

There is also some connection in DNA between some in present day Nigeria and Jews in the Middle East. This doesn't even get into Beta Israel in Ethiopia/Eastern Africa.

It is also no coincidence that Ethiopia is a Greek word that means "sunburnt faces" and even the word Africa is a Latin word in reference to North Africans. Those south of the Sahara call themselves Bantu or "mankind".
Not a lot of people know what you have posted at all. All is correct with the exception of bantu. Bantu relates to a certain group of people. They started in the east of Africa and worked their way in a arch north then north west, west, south west and then a great number of them settled in Central and South Africa. It is believed that the second wave of people i.e. Niger-Congo speaking peoples, which would be your Songhai, Mande speakers etc. replaced them in West Africa.

As for the Irish, there was a Welsh Priest who wrote a book about the history of the British Isle. In it he makes the claim that a African king ruled over Ireland and eventually took England as well. The name of the books is "The Chronicle of the Kings of Britain" by St. Tysilio who was a Welsh Monk in the late 600s early 700s A.D. You can get the book for free on google books. History is very interesting and knowing it gives one a great appreciation for one's self and for others.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Not a lot of people know what you have posted at all. All is correct with the exception of bantu. Bantu relates to a certain group of people. They started in the east of Africa and worked their way in a arch north then north west, west, south west and then a great number of them settled in Central and South Africa. It is believed that the second wave of people i.e. Niger-Congo speaking peoples, which would be your Songhai, Mande speakers etc. replaced them in West Africa.

As for the Irish, there was a Welsh Priest who wrote a book about the history of the British Isle. In it he makes the claim that a African king ruled over Ireland and eventually took England as well. The name of the books is "The Chronicle of the Kings of Britain" by St. Tysilio who was a Welsh Monk in the late 600s early 700s A.D. You can get the book for free on google books. History is very interesting and knowing it gives one a great appreciation for one's self and for others.
Good point about the term Bantu, as it is really specific and all in encompassing at the same time.

I've met people of Irish origin with thick,wavy natural hair, for example. So, I'm not surprised at all.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
The Irish are utterly white people. Black Irish is just a really odd term...

Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Irish are utterly white people. Black Irish is just a really odd term...
Again, with the speaking about things you have no knowledge of. Seems to be a habit with you.

link

Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Again, with the speaking about things you have no knowledge of. Seems to be a habit with you.

link
What exactly does your link say regarding the Irish and black Africa?

There is some connection between some Irish and northern Spain, but then again, Iberian people have little to do with black Africa, either, although there was some influence due to colonial connections, especially in Portugal, later on.
There have also been influences from the Middle East as some of those peoples came to the peninsula via the Mediterranean sea. But again, the Phoenicians etc. had nothing to do with black Africa. There has been a kind of mixed Mediterranean culture for a long time, but it is completely different from black African cultures.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What exactly does your link say regarding the Irish and black Africa?

There is some connection between some Irish and northern Spain, but then again, Iberian people have little to do with black Africa, either, although there was some influence due to colonial connections, especially in Portugal, later on.
There have also been influences from the Middle East as some of those peoples came to the peninsula via the Mediterranean sea. But again, the Phoenicians etc. had nothing to do with black Africa. There has been a kind of mixed Mediterranean culture for a long time, but it is completely different from black African cultures.
You obviously didn't read the article or don't have enough knowledge to understand what its saying. *shrugs*

Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Hmmm. I thought "black Irish" just meant black hair and blue eyes. Like Kyle Mclaughlin. Tee hee. Just an excuse to post a pic.

I still love the Irish, though. They put up with England's poo and their accent sometimes sounds like a Caribbean accent to me.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
You obviously didn't read the article or don't have enough knowledge to understand what its saying. *shrugs*
Yes, sorry, I am a bit stupid Please enlighten me and tell me what it says about black Africa and the Irish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa