Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You can kinda tell when they're buying it by the gallon..............those are some huge "spots."
Does it say people are buying it by the gallon?

Anyway, I do know an African lady who bleached. It turned her neck super black, as in it burnt her skin. The skin on her neck literally looks burnt and it sometimes peels. But the majority of Africans I know don't do this. I wonder what kind of sampling the WHO did to determine 77% of women there bleach because Nigeria has over 160 million people and I imagine many of them would be hard to reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM

61 posts, read 74,651 times
Bleaching is not as harmful as uninformed posters make it out to be. I've used hydroquionone creams mixed with steroids and it turned my skin to a beautiful glowing caramel complexion. The only downfall is that my skin becomes immune after awhile and I go back to my original dark color which is a very dull,boring dark brown

Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnsour View Post
Most men don't like dark women, if asked who their ideal woman is, they will definitely say a lightskin woman. It seems like its politically correct to say dark is beautiful all while picking partners who are significantly light
Most women in the world have darker skin. Remember the majority of the global population is of color. A darker color. Therefore, most men like, love, marry, and have children with dark skinned women, who are by the way their ideal women. Despite the title of this ridiculous thread, Black really is considered beautiful throughout the continent of Africa. Dark skinned women are very much desired by African men. I once dated a men from Central Africa, and spent a lot of time around African people from various countries. Dark skinned women are very much wanted. The same thing goes for Caribbean women. The place where dark-skinned women are generally hated is the U.S. Most American men simply have a problem with dark skinned women. A serious problem. A problem that Americans are going to have to get over. The browning of America should be called the darkening of America, because that is more accurate. Those men who don't like dark women will find themselves surrounded by them. Karma will not be their friend.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM

10,111 posts, read 14,980,095 times
The media does blows things out of proportion at times. Sometimes we lose sight of this.

Reminds me of this:

LOL

Old 08-06-2013, 12:55 PM

222 posts, read 579,177 times
Black will always be beautiful , it's just the people with the black skin who dont like it. Living in a society that defines beauty of black as looking sort of like a somalia (to all Somalians yes yu are black), we have to just think about it. If you dont have these feautres it's a part of a dehunization process to make yourself more appealing to the dominant culture and their perception of beauty.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
When will people stop being so shallow, only God can define your true value inwardly and outwardly. I will never let another human define my worth by the tone of my skin.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 AM

482 posts, read 945,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It seems to be that the blame for this self esteem issue is always placed on colonialism. The truth is that most cultures of the world have valued lighter features for all recorded time. I have light brown/dark blonde hair and I even highlight it to make it look lighter (It looks very good btw. lol). Colonialism had no bearing on my mind, nor do I have any jealousy towards people who have lighter hair than I. I just want to make myself look good.

I don't think there is anything wrong about wanting to change someone's appearance. The concern I would have in this situation is that these chemicals that bleach skin are very dangerous. One of my Dominican friends has an aunt that is blind due to overuse of skin bleaching agents.

'Light is in' is probably here to stay, as it has always been. Perhaps rather than try in vain to change people's attitudes towards this we should try to make attaining lighter features a safer process.
Why should people want to become lighter? You are brainwashed my dear. You mentioned something about a Dominican woman going blind trying to get lighter, no surprises here. Dark skin in much more attractive in my opinion, but each his own. Be happy with what you were born with.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 AM

482 posts, read 945,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Most women in the world have darker skin. Remember the majority of the global population is of color. A darker color. Therefore, most men like, love, marry, and have children with dark skinned women, who are by the way their ideal women. Despite the title of this ridiculous thread, Black really is considered beautiful throughout the continent of Africa. Dark skinned women are very much desired by African men. I once dated a men from Central Africa, and spent a lot of time around African people from various countries. Dark skinned women are very much wanted. The same thing goes for Caribbean women. The place where dark-skinned women are generally hated is the U.S. Most American men simply have a problem with dark skinned women. A serious problem. A problem that Americans are going to have to get over. The browning of America should be called the darkening of America, because that is more accurate. Those men who don't like dark women will find themselves surrounded by them. Karma will not be their friend.
And it's not even a not liking them, it's an intimidation factor...dark women are beautiful...

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM

519 posts, read 1,024,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
And it's not even a not liking them, it's an intimidation factor...dark women are beautiful...
Well, tons of people, male and female, just prefer lighter skins. Others, though its seems like a far smaller amount from my limited experience, prefer darker skin. Different people will always find different aspects of the human form attractive- it doesn't mean they're intimidated by what they don't find attractive.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM

222 posts, read 579,177 times
@1908wagy Black sure is beatiful and just ignore lerner he dont know any better. Yeah some might do but not all if that was so than why is Denzel consider one of the best looking men in holly wood. Not only that black men features by a poll report is considered the best looking on the planet. wer black men dark dkined do look good even though I am not dark nor light Iam brown I still can relate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa