Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkir View Post
Lebanon??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????:shoc ked:
Lebanese are the "whitest" Arabs. Most really look like Greeks, especially the christians. I think they have the highest percentage of blue eyes in the Arab world. Many Syrians also have blue eyes, look at president Assad for example, who looks like an average Northern European, and compare to the president of Tunisia...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The fact that you were able to completely stun the OP, gives you my vote for most informative poster.
Thanks.

Basically, and I've travelled to quite a few Arab countries, the "whitest", most European countries are the ones with least black African admixture during their history, such as Lebanon and Syria, to a lesser extent Tunisia. Countries with most such as Mauretania or Sudan are almost black. Egyptians are also quite dark since since ancient times there has been admixture with blacks (Nubians).

It's all due to history. In my native russia since ancient times there has been admixture with Asian people, and it shows, eventough most Russians are "white" and "European" many have some Asiatic features. It's even not uncommon to see russians with blue eyes and blond hair who still have Asian features.
Obviously it also left traces on the culture.

Last edited by takeo3; 12-26-2013 at 10:37 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 PM

19 posts, read 143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
I think Romans had blond people too(since people from all parts of the roman empire moved to Italy, and Northern Italians have a celtic ancestry), but it was a small minority. You also find blond people in countries like turkey and even Syria. I think it's not possible to put your finger on one cause for this. Tunisia is geographically very close to Europe, that's the logical and real reason. Not only visigots and Vandals moved to Tunisia (by the way were they really still so Scandinavian after spending so many years in Spain and mixing with spanish people?), many other Europeans did too. And you can see the berbers in northern Morocco have a high percentage of people with blue eyes and brown or even blond hair, most Tunisians have a berber ancestry. So maybe the blondes and blue eyed are mostly not due to European influence, but indigenous, since the berbers were clearly a white-skinned race?
Personally I think it's a mix of several reasons. On the other hand the large influx of and mixture with black slaves is the reason that Tunisians are still darker generally than, for example, Spanish, Italian or Turkish people.
yes , visigots and Vandals moved to Tunisia . But i think to be honest i'm not really sure there's also the Normans

Normans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by shkir; 12-26-2013 at 11:04 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkir View Post
yes , visigots and Vandals moved to Tunisia . But i think to be honest i'm not really sure there's also the Normans

Normans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I repeat honestly I'm not sure but maybe .So maybe yes maybe no .

Old 12-26-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Did the Roman soldiers mixed with native women in North Africa, in the times of the Roman Empire?
The Vandal Kingdom was a kingdom established by the Germanic Vandals under Gaiseric in North Africa and the Mediterranean from 435 to 534. It was originally created by the settlement of the Vandals in the province of Numidia and Mauretania by the Roman government and then extended by conquest further into North Africa and the Mediterranean. The Kingdom was conquered by Byzantine Emperor Justinian in the Vandalic War.

Demographics of Tunisia

While the vast majority of modern Tunisians identify themselves as Arabs, they are predominantly descended from Berber groups, with some Arab input. Tunisians are also descended, from other African, Middle Eastern and European peoples, specifically the Phoenicians/Punics, Romans, Vandals, French and Haratin. In sum, 20 percent of their genetic material (Y-chromosome analysis) comes from present day Arabian Peninsula, Europe or Sub-Saharan Africa

Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I've been to Tunisia last year. In the south many are dark, even black, the grandchildren of liberated black slaves.
Romans have been in tunisia, lots of Greek and Turks, and quite a few slaves of Russian origine settled in Tunisia.
Can you explain and talk more about this (a few salves of Russian origine settled in Tunisia) I'm really intersted

Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,579 times
Wisoghots invaded Numidia (mostly Algeria)
Numidia was next to Carthage (Tunisia) .

Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Lebanese are the "whitest" Arabs.
If they mix with Europeans or North Africans they will be

Quote:
Most really look like Greeks, especially the christians.
The Greeks them selves look Arabs

Quote:
I think they have the highest percentage of blue eyes in the Arab world. Many Syrians also have blue eyes
you Must say I think they wish if they mix with north Africans Or Europeans
Quote:
Lebanese are the "whitest" Arabs. Most really look like Greeks, especially the christians. I think they have the highest percentage of blue eyes in the Arab world. Many Syrians also have blue eyes, look at president Assad for example, who looks like an average Northern European, and compare to the president of Tunisia...
all of this is a nonsense .
Quote:
the "whitest", most European countries are the ones with least black African admixture during their history, such as Lebanon and Syria, to a lesser extent Tunisia
Respected

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Berbers aren't particularly dark skinned people anyway. Tunisia was once colonized by the Vandals for many years, and they were racialy similar to Vikings.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:16 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Berbers aren't particularly dark skinned people anyway. Tunisia was once colonized by the Vandals for many years, and they were racialy similar to Vikings.
It's a main contributor to why there are blond hair and blue eyed Tunisians. I don't understand why some people have a hard time accepting this basic fact. Blond hair and blue eyes are not typical phenotypes of indigenous African people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa