Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 01:37 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

As an African 'm confused on what African Slavery is?
It's slavery occurring on the African continent being controlled by Africans. This doesn't mean that every African ethnic group across the continent is involved in slavery. Trokosi and abusive servitude of boys in Senegal exist but not every African ethnic group is involved. People will see this once they look into "African slavery" more.

Abusive servitude of boys in Senegal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOCM6pndOhY

Old 03-13-2016, 04:20 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
As an African 'm confused on what African Slavery is? Slavery was different in the Spanish colonies in the English colonies and in the Portuguese colonies but now someone goes around saying African slavery when often not every ethnicity dealt with slaves and those that did the slaves were treated pretty decently depending on the ethnic group. People keep acting like African people share some huge cultural boundary like most Western Europeans do. For Igbo slavery you can read any of Chinua Achebe's books. Now I'm not sure about other ethnicity but you can't even say African slavery then refer to the Ashanti. At that point I can talk about how all of Europe is cruel do to German anti-semitism from the Holocaust or Roman anti-semitism. This is simply not true. As far as I know the Ijaw don't have a history of slavery although my second ethnic group the Yoruba do. Their is no African slavery! You can't generalize well over 2000 ethnic groups.
Exactly but some people simply aren't very bright.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
"Your people kindapped women for rape.
your people kidnapped men to castrate
Your people captured both for human sacrifice, even sometimes burning them alive
Your people cannibalized slaves.
These are actions that are performed on chattel slaves, not future household members.

You understand that the longer this goes on, the better my point is made, right?"- cabbages (sorry to lazy to go back a couple pages and spell your name write)

1.True
2.I have never heard of an Ijaw or Yoruba person doing this.
3. Lies
4. Lies
5. Chattel Slavery is uniquely English, Portuguese, Spanish, Belgian,Ashanti and a few other ethnicity you can't generalize chattel slavery over an entire continent when only one barbaric group of people did it at that time. Also no Europeans didn't write Ijaw or Yoruba history, see a few Nigerian authors for our actual Youba history.

So far what I have noticed is a guy named cabbages or whatever, ruining a good argument he makes by generalizing then blatantly attacking another user he doesn't know by trying to call him the descendant of Ashanti or Dahomey people just because he may be black.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It's slavery occurring on the African continent being controlled by Africans. This doesn't mean that every African ethnic group across the continent is involved in slavery. Trokosi and abusive servitude of boys in Senegal exist but not every African ethnic group is involved. People will see this once they look into "African slavery" more.

Abusive servitude of boys in Senegal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOCM6pndOhY
Actually Africa isn't an exception I have met thousands of Africans and not a single one own slaves. Although it is higher than Americas and Europe slavery is still incredibly rare. Go to Senegal and I can bet you if you ask 2000 people in the airport what Trokosi is most won't even know. Now of course you can go to some backwater village and find it, but you can go to the most modern countries and go to a rural area and you can see things lie KKK meetings and neo-nazi skinheads. That doesn't mean the entire country is backwater. I agree Trokosi should be outlawed but don't say African slavery say Ghanaian slavery or Senegalese Slavery or Nigerian slavery specify before you generalize. This is how the hate or fear of people spreads.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
Quote:

I agree Trokosi should be outlawed but don't say African slavery say Ghanaian slavery or Senegalese Slavery or Nigerian slavery specify before you generalize. This is how the hate or fear of people spreads.
Ok but the term "African slavery" isn't meant to be interpreted as saying that the whole continent engages in slavery. People will get the specifics once they look into the issue.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:54 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
He was enslaved in Sudan for ten years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfD2SHlkPOE

Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,347 times
End conclusion:

Not suprisingly, Enslavement of Africans by other African very closely resembled the enslavement of Africans by Europeans and the enslavement of Asians by Asians and Indians by Indians (both those from Mumbai and those from Arizona). All these slave owners were human.

The conditions that these humans held slaves in could vary from the horrific by any standards to conditions that were fair and just by the cultural standards of the day. Likewise slavery took many forms including absolute chattel, and that of say, permanently bonded share croppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa