Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 04:52 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Google up "South African Farm Murders" and see what you get.White people get murdered and black cops don't even care,
That's kind of where my question came from. Seems like a lot of what I read was exaggerated. I live in Chicago where people outside think it's super dangerous, but in reality it isn't for most people. It's the media that blows it out of proportion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
That's kind of where my question came from. Seems like a lot of what I read was exaggerated. I live in Chicago where people outside think it's super dangerous, but in reality it isn't for most people. It's the media that blows it out of proportion.
I think the distinction between crime in SA and the US is the feeling that "anything can happen anywhere" is more pronounced in SA. In America, you're more or less safe if you avoid high crime areas. In South Africa, it isn't that simple, there is always somewhat of a criminal element lurking everywhere. That's why homes in Sandton are set behind 10 ft walls and those in Lincoln Park are not. Unfortunately, it's probably a testament to SA's massive income inequality.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:15 AM

671 posts, read 854,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Google up "South African Farm Murders" and see what you get.White people get murdered and black cops don't even care,
It is payback. This happens in every society.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

I hope one day they'll be "payback" for cynical people like you.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:44 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Not really. Slaves from american didn't go back to Africa for the most part, so they aren't decedents of American slaves. And it shows that whites have nothing to feel guilty about because blacks will show violence against ANY RACE if given the opportunity. They just aren't advance enough to conquer any other races. It has nothing to do with payback. Black on black crime is responsible for more deaths than anything. Lesson over.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Not really. Slaves from american didn't go back to Africa for the most part, so they aren't decedents of American slaves. And it shows that whites have nothing to feel guilty about because blacks will show violence against ANY RACE if given the opportunity. They just aren't advance enough to conquer any other races. It has nothing to do with payback. Black on black crime is responsible for more deaths than anything. Lesson over.
although I disagree with his statements he as talking about the SA apartheid not Anerican Slavery.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I think the distinction between crime in SA and the US is the feeling that "anything can happen anywhere" is more pronounced in SA. In America, you're more or less safe if you avoid high crime areas. In South Africa, it isn't that simple, there is always somewhat of a criminal element lurking everywhere. That's why homes in Sandton are set behind 10 ft walls and those in Lincoln Park are not. Unfortunately, it's probably a testament to SA's massive income inequality.
Exactly this. Unless you live in some of the uber-wealthy enclaves where you have massive walls (everyone has walls, but I mean 12ft+) with guards and patrolling private security, odds are you or a neighbor will experience a break in.

Aside from that, the level of violence is way higher in SA than it is the US. More often break ins will occur at night and the homeowners will be tied up, and as often as not they'll be tortured and killed/raped. Car-jackings (aka high-jackings in SA) are common enough that you're not supposed to come to a complete stop at stop signs or red lights, and while muggings and purse snatching is also really common, it's said that the way you can tell if a mugger is Zulu is that they'll shoot you first then rob you. Even in the nicer, more upscale parts of Joburg armed robberies in malls or bombings of ATMs are monthly occurrences.

Really the only exception to the high crime and level of violence is in Cape Town proper, and that's because its run like a little European colony rather than a proper part of SA. That said, head to the outskirts of the city like Mitchels Plain and you'll find some of the highest crime rates in the country.

Unfortunately South Africans, and even transplants like myself, become desensitized to the crime and it just becomes part of every day life, and the low cost of living and stunning beauty of the place become focalpoints that help convince you that it's not so bad. It took having a child and the prospect of raising her in the country to convince my wife it was time to leave, and now that we've made the move her entire family plans on following us stateside. Until then and probably long after, we'll still make annual visits and spend holidays along the KZN coast and Karoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Ag, jou hol. Gaan kak op jou ma se poes.

Last edited by smiffs; 05-08-2016 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 04:19 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Nothwistanding those threats of violence, I'd still want to visit SA. After all, I survived countries such as Mexico, Egypt, Costa Rica , the Philippines...I doubt SA is much worse if one uses caution.
Good for you! I go to SA on safari every 3 years. Love it, I'd move to Cape Town if I wasn't so tied to the US. Never felt unsafe or scared. Spend a week in cape town before or after.
Egypt (and Turkey) didn't scare me at all.
Now Mexico, I wouldn't step a foot into.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Default foundapeanut

In fact I plan to cut the deal in half, 2 weeks in Capetown and region(arriving there)and then 2 weeks in the north (Kruger and all), departing from J'Burg . I would ride the train between Capetown and Joburg (I(l'll do enough plane hours to get to the country, no need to also fly over it (!) as many do , instead of watching the countryside during (preferably ) a day ride.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,773 times
I live in Cape Town and on a farm 2 hours outside of the city. I encounter tourist on a daily basis and can’t remember when last any of them reported negatively on their visit to this country. If you don't take any unnecessary risks, and are mindful of your surroundings, you're sure to be safe. I am under no illusions about the reality of life in SA; I am a member of various police/community partnerships and know that we have an unacceptably high crime rate. It is also a fact that after spending the last 48 years living here I, or any member of my family, have yet to fall victim to any violent crime. (My car window was broken a few years ago while parked in the road over night, but nothing was stolen.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa