Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 05:37 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times

Advertisements

I realize this is off topic, but the most important thing for people in Africa is quality of life rather than building a city that is like Dubai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 06:11 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
https://youtu.be/VSTRrozl-cM

Among other places.
Random rhetorical questions used as titles for VisualPliitik's features does not, in my view, constitute evidence that the answer to those title questions is always "Yes" -- but in this case, I'm not going to spend the next 18 minutes to find out.

UAE (Dubai) exists in its present form because there was wealth there to pay foreign workers attractive wages, and they now constitute 88% of the population. I cannot see any avenue in Djibouti to follow that model.

Last edited by cebuan; 05-20-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 08:13 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Random rhetorical questions used as titles for VisualPliitik's features does not, in my view, constitute evidence that the answer to those title questions is always "Yes" -- but in this case, I'm not going to spend the next 18 minutes to find out.

UAE (Dubai) exists in its present form because there was wealth there to pay foreign workers attractive wages, and they now constitute 88% of the population. I cannot see any avenue in Djibouti to follow that model.
Horn of Africa's Djibouti dreams of becoming 'new Dubai' | Horn Diplomat

I'm not saying whether or not it's a realistic goal. Just saying there are people who want it to become that. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this cyclone.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Lagos ?

Old 05-27-2018, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The closest African Megacities to being anything Asia like are

Nicer and newer parts of Cairo.
Parts of Johannesburg and Sandton (J-burg-Pretoria is over 10 million).
Lagos- Eko Atlantic is very Asian like project but hasn't been completed.
Kinshasa- probably the poorest of the 4 megacities and isn't likely to have any Asian like structures in it. only one of the 4 cities that doesn't have a 100 billion dollar economy.
Cairo is not African...

Old 05-27-2018, 05:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwestafrikan View Post
Cairo is not African...
That is correct. In every sense except plate tectonics, north Africa is a different continent, separated by the Sahara Ocean.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:34 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
That is correct. In every sense except plate tectonics, north Africa is a different continent, separated by the Sahara Ocean.
Cairo is a city on the African continent, hence its an African City. If you look up a list of biggest cities in Africa it is there. If you look up which continent is Cairo on it says Africa, continents have never been split by their plates or else we would have like 20 continents. Also the Sahara isn’t an ocean their is well over 2.5 million people living there, their are likely not even 20 people who live permanently in the ocean. Sure it’s sparsely populated but just because a place is sparsely populated doesn’t mean it’s the start of a new continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa