Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 5,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I believe we are. When we look at the numerous black communities (communities with descendants of African people) around the world, it's very clear that African Americans still have the highest standard of living, most opportunities for upward mobility, most political power, highest percentage of blacks in any 1st world developed country, greatest influence on global black culture (music, movies, sports, etc), and all the other benefits that comes with being a black person in America as opposed to another country.

According to wiki, the regions below have the highest percentage of African descendants from the African diaspora.

I'm sure a case could be made for blacks in Canada, U.K, or France but again, the black population in those countries pales in comparison to the black population in America.

At the end of the day, despite the notion that being an African American is "hard," we really have no room to complain once we look at the blacks in other countries and the lack of opportunities they have compared to us. African Americans can truly make a case of being the "white people" of the African diaspora.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_diaspora
African American can't claim to be the "white people" of the African Diaspora because you don't have a nation that you govern.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:48 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz08 View Post
African American can't claim to be the "white people" of the African Diaspora because you don't have a nation that you govern.
Except for Metro Atlanta lol. But yes you’re totally right.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:04 AM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz08 View Post
Don't need a nation to govern when you're still the richest and most influencial African Diaspora demograhic on earth. Barack Obama, Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Tiger Woods, Kanye West, Will Smith, Jimi Hindrix, MLK, Harriet Tubman, Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali etc. These are world renowed African Americans that have a had a massive influence in the world.

And considering black Americans have been in America since the 15th century, there's clearly no more "Africa" in the term "African American."

Whether black Americans choose to acknowledge this fact is another thing, but it's very clear that socially, culturallly, and psychologically African Americans have far more in common with White Americans and Western society than almost anyone else from the African Diaspora.

Your criteria is "nation governing" my criteria is "wealth, influence, and exposure."

Last edited by Rocko20; 02-10-2019 at 01:20 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Don't need a nation to govern when you're still the richest and most influencial African Diaspora demograhic on earth. Barack Obama, Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, Tiger Woods, Kanye West, Will Smith, Jimi Hindrix, MLK, Harriet Tubman, Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali etc. These are world renowed African Americans that have a had a massive influence in the world.

And considering black Americans have been in America since the 15th century, there's clearly no more "Africa" in the term "African American."

Whether black Americans choose to acknowledge this fact is another thing, but it's very clear that socially, culturallly, and psychologically African Americans have far more in common with White Americans and Western society than almost anyone else from the African Diaspora.

Your criteria is "nation governing" my criteria is "wealth, influence, and exposure."
When an African American has a DNA test, they will find themselves/ourselves full of DNA from various countries. So there's a lot of African in AAs, down to the DNA.

Do we still speak African languages? No.

But Creole languages exist among a minority of AAs. The Gullah people of South Carolina. And the Creole language of Louisiana.

There are African influences on AA cuisine. Things like okra and watermelon came from Africa. Peanuts did too. There's other dietary influences.

These days anyone who wants to can dig up their genealogical records and have genetic testing to find out their countries of origin. Most AAs have a variety of African nations, some European, and some Asian and/or Native America. A lot of people check out or connect with their countries of origin.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 5,290 times
Quote:

None of that stuff matters when you consider the full context, those people are successful mainly from industries created by white people. And are heavily reliant on whites to gain major success. If African Americans prove they can be successful as a nation, as far as leading the world in science and technology, have a world leading economy with a low poverty rate and so on, then you can make that claim. You will never be able to make that claim because African Americans will never have a nation of their own.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 AM

302 posts, read 308,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Total nonsense and babbling derived from racists who wanted to justify slavery.

Most Africans acquired slaves from other groups through wars. 12 million people were shipped across the Atlantic. These kingdoms would not have been able to survive if the chiefs were selling their own people.

Please learn some facts before you babble.
Clearly your statement made no sense.Most African kingdoms pretty much acquired their slaves right from the lands they ruled,in fact if you go there today many African chiefs will tell you if one of their subjects were to be sold off to the white man so they can have their coconuts and guns, they would gladly do it.

There is no proof that most SLAVES of the Atlantic Slave Trade were sourced from PRISONERS OF WAR. The excuses goes they were from other tribes no they were sold off from their own clans(an Igbo from a different clan is still an Igbo btw) and family. In any case, these warring chiefs no things were peaceful before the Europeans arrivals

Some of these chiefs sold their own family at times and guess what it still goes on today.Since you hardly went to school I can educate you a little bit.

Quote:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/pe...n-slave-trader

My parents’ home, in Umujieze, Nigeria, stands on a hilly plot that has been in our family for more than a hundred years. Traditionally, the Igbo people bury their dead among the living, and the ideal resting place for a man and his wives is on the premises of their home. My grandfather Erasmus, the first black manager of a Bata shoe factory in Aba, is buried under what is now the visitors’ living room. My grandmother Helen, who helped establish a local church, is buried near the study. My umbilical cord is buried on the grounds, as are those of my four siblings. My eldest brother, Nnamdi, was born while my parents were studying in England, in the early nineteen-seventies; my father, Chukwuma, preserved the dried umbilical cord and, eighteen months later, brought it home to bury it by the front gate. Down the hill, near the river, in an area now overrun by bush, is the grave of my most celebrated ancestor: my great-grandfather Nwaubani Ogogo Oriaku. Nwaubani Ogogo was a slave trader who gained power and wealth by selling other Africans across the Atlantic. “He was a renowned trader,” my father told me proudly. “He dealt in palm produce and human beings.”
Long before Europeans arrived, Igbos enslaved other Igbos as punishment for crimes, for the payment of debts, and as prisoners of war. The practice differed from slavery in the Americas: slaves were permitted to move freely in their communities and to own property, but they were also sometimes sacrificed in religious ceremonies or buried alive with their masters to serve them in the next life. When the transatlantic trade began, in the fifteenth century, the demand for slaves spiked. Igbo traders began kidnapping people from distant villages. Sometimes a family would sell off a disgraced relative, a practice that Ijoma Okoro, a professor of Igbo history at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, likens to the shipping of British convicts to the penal colonies in Australia: “People would say, ‘Let them go. I don’t want to see them again.’ ” Between the fifteenth and nineteenth centuries, nearly one and a half million Igbo slaves were sent across the Middle Passage.

Now keep in mind many African tribes even still practice a form of slavery until this day. Read and weep, but also hush before you type.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think you're taking things out of context. And as for Barack Obama, he was raised by his white mother, and got to attend the top universities in this country. Had his father married a poor Black woman he likely would not be the President. So it really doesn't matter what people are called, if the Black people who are successful are successful due to having white parents. In the 21st century Halle Berry was the first Black woman to win an oscar for best actress, and she has a white mother.

Lastly in the 1800s "mixed" race people were classified as "mulatto". Look at the civil rights activists. Many of them were educated. Many were educated due to money from their white fathers and grandfathers.

So stop attacking people from outside the country for things that happen in the US as well. To pretend all Black people have the same opportunities or that there is never any privilege in having a white parent or grandparent at times is ridiculous.

I didn't even realize you aren't in the US. That is good to know, because I can stop wasting my time. Just because you have benefitted from you Jewish ancestry doesn't mean all black people need a white ancestor to help them be successful. Are you familiar with the Reconstruction period? Black people fresh out of slavery were able to work hard and be successful. I doubt all of them had some white relative helping them make it. I know black entrepreneurs today with no white benefactors funding their operations and they are wildly successful. Black people don't need white people to be successful. As the natives of this land, we taught them how to farm. So miss me with that argument. All "mulattos" in the early census were not mixed race. There were plenty of full-blood Native Americans put into that category. But I am not about to get into all that here.

I'm glad your white ancestors paved the way for your success. I'm even more glad when many, MANY black people succeed in this country on their own merits without needing the assistance of white people. I'm sorry your view of blacks is so limited.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Clearly your statement made no sense.Most African kingdoms pretty much acquired their slaves right from the lands they ruled,in fact if you go there today many African chiefs will tell you if one of their subjects were to be sold off to the white man so they can have their coconuts and guns, they would gladly do it.

There is no proof that most SLAVES of the Atlantic Slave Trade were sourced from PRISONERS OF WAR. The excuses goes they were from other tribes no they were sold off from their own clans(an Igbo from a different clan is still an Igbo btw) and family. In any case, these warring chiefs no things were peaceful before the Europeans arrivals
Some of these chiefs sold their own family at times and guess what it still goes on today.Since you hardly went to school I can educate you a little bit.
Now keep in mind many African tribes even still practice a form of slavery until this day. Read and weep, but also hush before you type.
Warfare did play a significant role ( It's even mentioned in the link you shared) and some ethnic groups sold their own ( primary criminals/traitors/ or POW due to civil war).
Check out HomeTeam History on YouTube.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Pre WWII, most AAs still lived in rural areas and worked as farm labors.

You did not have many Black owned bs Ms in this era. Most Black People has inadequate healthcare. But I know you have a lot of pathological liars and delusional people among some of those who call themselves Afrocentrists.

These people need prescription medication.
There's was different occupations that Blacks work even prior to WWII, your not acknowledging the numerous Black districts in cities & urban areas back then. Even in my home state of Mississippi you had Farish Street District which was the black mecca of the state. Church street was the sugarhill of that area.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 PM

302 posts, read 308,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Warfare did play a significant role ( It's even mentioned in the link you shared) and some ethnic groups sold their own ( primary criminals/traitors/ or POW due to civil war).
Check out HomeTeam History on YouTube.
It sounds like you saw what you wanted to see, the article I linked SAID nothing about warfare.The link I placed clearly stated that tribes sold PEOPLE FROM THEIR OWN TRIBE,CLAN ,AND EVEN FAMILY. Maybe you are not comprehending an Igbo for all intents and purposes is an Igbo.
Or perhaps you read some other article. In any case the small amount of slave raids to sell other Africans is a poor excuse and shows the greed African chiefs had, it was African elites callousness and greed for other Africans to make a never seen before pale skin European manipulate them.

I would suggest you do more research, anybody that says warfare was the primary reason doesn't know what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa