Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 07:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And I can see an emotional reaction, especially among older and middle aged AAs given that they likely heard stories of the hardships of the post Reconstruction Jim Crow South AND North. They KNEW people who suffered.
??Im 51 and grew up in South. I didnt experience a lot bit my parents and their siblings did. The repercussion still manifest in indirect ways. Like my mothers cousin who was lynched and his kids grew up without him.
People visiting those sites are emotional because its ties in to all the centuries of racism that shows up even today in police brutality ,workplace discrimination,profiling etc.
The more you are connected to your heritage and culture ,the more likely you will be affected by these pilgrimages.
I find its simply sad for anyone that cannot understand this . Especially of you are apart of the African diaspora
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The difference wasn't slavery. In fact the population of enslaved peoples in the USA, when emancipation came, was many multiples of the totals brought in from Africa or via the Caribbean. The USA was the only slave society where locally born enslaved peoples reproduced sufficiently to allow population increase. This also being why, despite its large population of enslaved peoples, relatively were brought in directly from Africa. Do you know that more were imported into Barbados?

What makes the USA unique was its aftermath. The USA was the only majority white post slave society where substantial numbers of blacks became part of leadership almost immediately after slavery ended. Mississippi had 2 senators (meaning that both senators were black). Blacks were also a substantial part of the congressional representation from Alabama, Louisiana and South Carolina as well. This panicked the white population, leading to a violent introduction of Jim Crow. This was the Reconstruction era.

Outside of the USA the only society which used such race based violence was in Cuba, where blacks/mulattos formed a political party to protest their exclusion from leadership. The result was a pogrom where thousands of blacks were lynched. the panic there was because most of the soldiers in their wars for independence were black and brown, and yet they were excluded in a newly independent Cuba. They still remain excluded.

In the rest of the Americas a soft segregation from power, based on social class, but correlated with skin color, was the rule. So the racism was more indirect and "tolerable". This being true even for the British and French colonies. It was after WWII that blacks in these majority nonwhite colonies moved into leadership. The result being full incorporation of the French colonies into France and independence for all but the smallest British colonies.

The reason why, of all the descendants of transatlantic slavery, it will be the black Americans whose emotional reaction will be raw is the violence of destruction of the Reconstruction era and its replacement by the brutalities of Jim Crow. The USA was unique in that respect.
I think blacks in other Western countries after a couple of generations have not fought like blacks in America for inclusion in every bit of American society. Colonial powers did a number on being able to make blacks think they are all subjects like their European counterparts. Therefore they have never felt the need to "fight".
Every right blacks in America have is because they have had to fight for rights and even fight to keep the ones they have.It forced blacks to forge an idenity. Accepting our blackness as something real and worthy of fighting to exist as we are
Where else in any Western country does black culture or any minority culture often takes the forefront to become mainstream. Where else is black culture is exported around the world to even the motherland(Africa) from a Western/Euro-centric dominated society?
For the reason the idea of black identity and pride among African-Americans is much stronger that having to experience such visits to a place where so much suffering started is all about our struggle that is tied to Jim Crow and slavery

Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 PM

220 posts, read 125,275 times
Okay you really asked for it....

Quote:
1. Gullah culture is often portrayed as the most "African" aspect of black American culture. Seen in fact as an outlier.
Yea to people such as yourself who never explored the deep rural south and only experience to ADOS is the northeast. "Outlier" my ass. Like me and residinghere2007 shown, Gullah culture is just old Afram culture that has been isolated. Nothing more nothing less. But I'll elaborate further debunk more of your nonsense like I did in that other thread where you claimed the majoirty of ADOS slaves were imported from the Caribbean.

Quote:
So cannot be used as evidence of how "African" black Americans are.
lol. Who says we only need the Gullah/Geechee people? Heck, my first few posts were me slapping a few Dominicans around with the many different elements of African influence in ADOS culture. But look no further than Hoodoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-z-36MO-SI

Which is found throughout the deep south and has no connections with the Gullah. And this(Hoodoo) is not even the only reference I even have. I'm just getting warmed up.

Quote:

In fact Gullah culture is more accurately seen as being a CARIBBEAN culture as South Carolina was initially colonized out of Barbados (not the UK) and Bajan influences remain very apparent. Hearing old Gullah people speak reminds me of a bunch of old Bajan women.
Oh boy this is rich. Like a typical Caribbean you now want to hijack Gullah/Geechee heritage/culture from ADOS to "Caribbeanize" it. I notice saying that the Gullahs and Creoles of Louisiana culture being more "Caribbean" is a common culture vulture talking point from your type.

Like me and residinghere2007 said that culture you call "Caribbean" is found throughout South Carolina and the Southeast in general. The Gullahs just retained that old ADOS culture and resisted urbanization.

First I double DARE you to show me a mass importation of Caribbean slaves to the Carolina coast for you to prove this claim to be real. But more importantly the influence is the OTHER WAY AROUND.

Quote:
The slaves in the Bahamas and the Caribbean were freed in 1834 by Queen Victoria. By that time, all Bahamians of African descent, whether they arrived with the Loyalists or whether they preceded the loyalists, or whether they arrived by other means, were influenced by the culture and folkways of the Gullah people.
Quote:
The new arrivals however brought their food, culture, folkways and most importantly, their language. Although a British colony from 1670 to independence in 1973, culturally and linguistically, the character and personality of the Bahamian people owe much to the Gullah people who live in the coastal Islands offshore South Carolina, and Georgia.

Today, the English spoken by the average working class Bahamian is close to the Gullah dialect, so much so, that Bahamian migrant workers who found their way to the American South as farm workers on “The Contractâ€, during and after the Second World War, could melt into the local population at the drop of a phrase, because, “they could talk geeche goodâ€. Idioms like ‘day clean†for dawn, and “terectly “for “soon†or “whenever†are still commonly used in both Charleston and Nassau.
https://gullahgeecheeconnection.word...ee-connection/

There goes that myth busted. Instead of a mythical Caribbean population settling in the Carolinas we have more evidence of Gullahs settling English speaking islands especially after the revolutionary war.

Quote:

2. The notion that deep rural South is more African than deep rural Jamaica is a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMj4F7Ju7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPjUGBLmv5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlENwytnjU
Yes, its a joke to you because your only reference to ADOS people(like many on here) is northeast ADOS or completely urbanized ADOS. But more importantly your videos are moot because the African cultural influence of Aframs is different from English speaking Caribbean people. Ours which comes from a different part of West Africa i.e the Sahel and not coastal pagan West Africans like Yorubas. I know this maybe a sucker to some and some clowns trying to claim I'm trying to "Islamize" ADOS heritage but facts are facts.

Case in point the Diddly Bow which comes straight from the Sahel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Like I said I'm just warming up.

Quote:

In fact there is a strong interface between the popular musics of Jamaica and Trinidad with West/West Central African music and dance. We can easily dance to each others music and much of Afropop can fit right into a Caribbean vibe, to the point where the listener mightn't even know that it is Nigerian. Pidgin English and all.
Okay? And? Who cares? I can easily point out MANY Sahelian musicians citing the extreme similarities between ADOS Blues and their music. But like I said the African cultural influence between ADOS/Caribbeans come from two different African sources.

Quote:
Afro-Cuban and African American music is very similar yet very different. Why? Because “essential elements of these two musics came from different parts of Africa, entering the New World by different routes, at different times, into differently structured societies†(Sublette, 159). These essential elements in African American music do not appear in Cuban music: swing and the blues scale. Cuban music contains elements of the clave (a rhythmic key) and “those undulating, repeating, melodic-rhythmic loops of fixed pitches called guajeo, montuno, or tumbao†(159). The reason for these differences was that they reflected two different musical styles that of Sudanic Africa and forest Africa.
I See Cuba: A Musical Tradition Revisited: African American vs Afro-Cuban.

Case in point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRhVTjNvicU

PS: Jamaican "popular music" is of Afram origins itself. That I can easily prove.

Quote:

Then there are the dialects spoken in the English speaking Caribbean, which closely relate to the pidgin Englishes of West Africa. Once my ear gets attuned to it I can understand that which is spoken in Nigeria, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Gullah is in fact one of the LEAST "African" of the Afro Caribbean creole Englishes. Its relation to those of the Bahamas and Barbados (seen as having the lowest African retentions) is clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Pidgin
Screw "dialects" lets talk about LANGUAGES. African-American/ADOS ethnic group has THREE surviving creole languages. While the Caribbean only has one(Haitian creole). Maybe you can do better than those Dominican posters who failed at showing me three creole Afro-Latin languages?

Quote:

African retentions in black America are less for two reasons.

1. The period of importation of enslaved peoples ended earlier, with most arriving prior to 1775. Heavy importation of slaves into the British West Indian colonies continued right until it ended.

2. When slavery ended about 1/3 of the newly freed were born in Africa. By 1865 (almost 60 years after the end of the Transatlantic slave trade) virtually none were African born, and few had any direct knowledge of their African born ancestors.
No offense but please stop trying to school me on stuff I already know about. Point is that the African cultural influence of ADOS vs Caribbeans is different as I've soon. Yes, importation of slaves ended much earlier in the USA and yes coastal West African traditions(such as drumming) were stomped out but this gave advantage for another African culture to develop and take foothold i.e the Sahelian zone. The diddly bow, banjo, Fulani flute, etc were deemed less threatening than drumming. Don't believe me?

Quote:
An old unique blues style in the Northern Mississippi hill country called Northern Mississippi Fife and Drum blues, is an offshoot of Fulani Flute and drum music. In fact, the physical construction of the blues fife played in Northern MS is based on an old African model brought over by the transatlantic slave trade. The construction process mimics that of the of Fula flute. A musician typically cuts a piece of cane about a foot inlength, then a heated iron rod is used to bore out the cane, and finally the same rod isused to make the manipulation and embouchure holes of the fife. No formal measure of spacing either between the embouchure hole and the manipulation holes or between each of the manipulation holes is used. Instead, the musicians use their hands as guides forconstruction, resulting in instruments that have slightly individualized scales, none of which are based on a classical Western model.
https://www.academia.edu/922424/_Stu..._Fife_and_Drum

And I only addressed music really. I haven't even gone deeper into other practices.

Quote:

Then I can add that a similar climate allowed more African retentions to remain. But you can ask Africans themselves. While they do not consider Caribbean people to be "African" they see them as being considerably more "African" than are black Americans. Caribbean people can negotiate contemporary African culture more easily than can most black Americans.
This has got to be the most laughable bias post ever. First of all what is "African culture" as Africa is the most diverse continent ethnically. A Nigerian Yoruba is no more African than a Muslim North Sudanese or Somali or South African Khoisan. So who is the "authority" on what is "African" when you say "ask them." I highly doubt a Jamaican or Bajan would even be able to adapt rural Ethiopian or Congolese culture. Not even the most rural of them. And if I remember correctly Aframs who have traveled to Sierra Leone have noted the similarities but thats not the point. Those Africans who call Caribbeans "more African" than ADOS are most likely Ghanaians and Nigerians who English speaking Caribbeans have close cultural ties to whereas ADOS do NOT. So of course you guys will appear more "African." Now lets ask Malian musicians whether ADOS are "less African."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBcj4CJmOw

He notes the clear similarities. So who is the authority on what is "African"? Like I keep saying your exposure to Afram/ADOS people is very limited to the Northeast or urbanized ADOS ppl.

Quote:

Black Americans have a unique history and heritage and are very influential in the global black world. But of the major African Diasporic groups black Americans are the LEAST African. It is what it is because of their heritage.
You say Black Americans are the most influential but then used Caribbean popular music(especially Jamaican) to compare to African popular music. Both which have ADOS influence especially the former(Jamaican popular music). What the heck? And again what is "African" because yea we are the LEAST coastal West-Central African influenced.

Quote:

Also "African" culture is more than just drumming and praying to traditional gods (which will be why you think that Afro Cubans are so African. I have interacted significantly with several Afro Cubans. Not only did they think that I was one of them (speaking to me in Spanish) but I saw them as a cultural cross between Dominican and Anglo Caribbean culture.
The very irony of you saying the bolded lol.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 PM

220 posts, read 125,275 times
Quote:
How. Gullah people speak BAJAN. Walk around Bridgetown Barbados and you will hear Geechee/Gullah. The dialect is one based on English vocabulary, adjusted to West African speech patterns and grammatical structures. CLOSER to English than is Jamaican patwa.
Dude WHAT THE %#$* are you talking about with this Bajan nonsense? What the hell is "speaking Bajan"???? There is no Bajan language. Do you mean accent? Because "Gullah" is not a accent or even "patwa" but a full fledged language.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullah_language

Whereas Jamaican patwa is not. And yes, African-Americans have 3 surviving creole languages:
Louisiana Creole
Gullah/Geechie
Afro-Seminole

And I just know you and others are going to try and dismiss Louisiana Creole but I have a Texas Creole friend watching and ready to reaffirm this position. And yes, Gullah is obviously English based but since when is it MORE English than freaking Jamaican patwa? The latter which is not even a language. Gullah has many Sierra Leonean/Mande/Liberian loan words btw.

Quote:
Linguists consider it to be a CARIBBEAN creole, not a form of AAVE.
lol. Here you go again trying to hijack. Yea a creole language that influenced other creole languages in the English speaking Caribbean as I have shown.

Quote:
And in fact SC was settled out of Barbados with enslaved peoples also dragged out of Barbados, so most its likely that its origins lie there. If you don't know English you will not know Gullah.
Again... WHAT THE #$%&...... Not only have I debunked this nonsense but this is possibly the silliest claim in this entire thread. And further shows that your type has an agenda to hijack ADOS subgroups who do not fit the stereotypical "concept" of being ADOS.

I double dare you to FETCH me a source proving this. Wikipedia will tell you that the Carolinas was settled by Virginians not settlers from Barbados.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albemarle_Settlements

And like I shown in that other thread 80%+ slaves were directly imported from Africa especially in South Carolinas who relied on certain skills like rice cultivation.

Quote:
Judith Carney, a geographer, draws spatial connections between the Americas, especially low country South Carolina and the Upper Guinea Coast—that part of the West African coast stretching from present-day Senegal to Liberia, encompassing three slave trading regions, Senegambia, the Windward Coast, and Sierra Leone where rice cultivation flourished. Carney makes the case that Africans introduced sophisticated soil and water management techniques to low country South Carolina.
https://www.nps.gov/ethnography/aah/...owCountryA.htm

Yea.... South Carolina slavers decided to go to freaking Barbados for slaves who can cultivate rice in swamps and NOT Upper Guinea. Are you serious? And lastly Gullah influenced AAVE.

Let me just cool down..... Because I really need to after that.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
??Im 51 and grew up in South. I didnt experience a lot bit my parents and their siblings did. The repercussion still manifest in indirect ways. Like my mothers cousin who was lynched and his kids grew up without him.
People visiting those sites are emotional because its ties in to all the centuries of racism that shows up even today in police brutality ,workplace discrimination,profiling etc.
The more you are connected to your heritage and culture ,the more likely you will be affected by these pilgrimages.
I find its simply sad for anyone that cannot understand this . Especially of you are apart of the African diaspora

At 51 you are middle aged. While you didn't have direct exposure to the worst of Jim Crow your parents and older relatives (even older siblings/cousins) would have. So your reaction.

Now imagine someone from the English speaking Caribbean. The descendants of these enslaved peoples dominate the politics and are the bulk of the management/professional classes. Maybe there might still be skin colorism issues (not perpetrated by the local whites, who at 1% of the population, maintain a low profile). But a direct connection to naked racism is remote. Classism yes, colorism, maybe but racism, no. Hence the different reaction.

As I said before, and someone concurred, the narrative of the English speaking Caribbean is different. We learn about Cuffy, Cudjoe, and the various slave rebellions. We also learn about the Maroons of Jamaica and Suriname. Definitely about the Haitian Revolution. We also learn and visibly see the results of the struggles of earlier ancestors to overcome oppression. People like Norman Manley, Robert Bradshaw, VC Bird, Nathanial Critchlow, Uriah Butler, Eric Williams. We aren't outsiders in our societies so we dwell less on the oppressive aspects of our history.

The differences between the reactions of Black Americans and blacks from the non Hispanic Caribbean is real. Black Americans need to understand that their experience of "blackness" isn't universal. For instance some Haitians and Africans, fleeing black dictators, will have a very different view. Many times its the whites who assist them as they challenge the impacts of destructive black governance.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I think blacks in other Western countries after a couple of generations have not fought like blacks in America for inclusion in every bit of American society. Colonial powers did a number on being able to make blacks think they are all subjects like their European counterparts. Therefore they have never felt the need to "fight".
Every right blacks in America have is because they have had to fight for rights and even fight to keep the ones they have.It forced blacks to forge an idenity. Accepting our blackness as something real and worthy of fighting to exist as we are
Where else in any Western country does black culture or any minority culture often takes the forefront to become mainstream. Where else is black culture is exported around the world to even the motherland(Africa) from a Western/Euro-centric dominated society?
For the reason the idea of black identity and pride among African-Americans is much stronger that having to experience such visits to a place where so much suffering started is all about our struggle that is tied to Jim Crow and slavery
I think that you reveal your US centric views. Black Americans, if they wish to build relationships with other blacks really need to learn to stop projecting the image of the Ugly American. Leave that to white Americans. Listen and learn from others and stop pushing your experiences.

Black Caribbean people not only fought for improvements within their own societies, but also even within the USA. Why do you think that the name "Marcus Garvey" can be found all over the USA? Malcolm X's mother was a Grenadian and his father a member of the Garveyite movement. Many West Indians and their offspring were involvement in the Civil Rights movement or other efforts to improve the black condition in the USA. Shirley Chisholm is a name that you out to know about. Constance Baker Motley was very involved within the NAACP Legal Defense fund winning many cases.

In fact many of the people who you might think are black American often have black immigrant roots.

Black Brazilians and black Cubans are way more dominant in their national cultures than black Americans are in the USA. Even white Cubans and Brazilians admit to it, and are proud to participate in it. Brazil and Cuba both have an African face that the USA doesn't have.

Black American culture is global only because AMERICAN culture is global. As US culture spreads it brings with it black American.

But let me ask you a question. Can black immigrants utilize the economic and social inroads that black Americans have built to facilitate their upward mobility in the USA. No. We are BOTH in the same situation, fighting for inclusion, trying to avoid being stuck at the bottom of the barrel.
In fact to what degree that black Americans collectively benefit from the spread of black American art forms? Individual black Americans do, but does the black American population as a whole benefit? No. Its white dominated corporate media which capitalizes ands benefits from black American creativity.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Okay you really asked for it....

Yea to people such as yourself who never explored the deep rural south and only experience to ADOS is the northeast. "Outlier" my ass. Like me and residinghere2007 shown, Gullah culture is just old Afram culture that has been isolated. Nothing more nothing less. But I'll elaborate further debunk more of your nonsense like I did in that other thread where you claimed the majoirty of ADOS slaves were imported from the Caribbean.

lol. Who says we only need the Gullah/Geechee people? Heck, my first few posts were me slapping a few Dominicans around with the many different elements of African influence in ADOS culture. But look no further than Hoodoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-z-36MO-SI

Which is found throughout the deep south and has no connections with the Gullah. And this(Hoodoo) is not even the only reference I even have. I'm just getting warmed up.

Oh boy this is rich. Like a typical Caribbean you now want to hijack Gullah/Geechee heritage/culture from ADOS to "Caribbeanize" it. I notice saying that the Gullahs and Creoles of Louisiana culture being more "Caribbean" is a common culture vulture talking point from your type.

Like me and residinghere2007 said that culture you call "Caribbean" is found throughout South Carolina and the Southeast in general. The Gullahs just retained that old ADOS culture and resisted urbanization.

First I double DARE you to show me a mass importation of Caribbean slaves to the Carolina coast for you to prove this claim to be real. But more importantly the influence is the OTHER WAY AROUND.

https://gullahgeecheeconnection.word...ee-connection/

There goes that myth busted. Instead of a mythical Caribbean population settling in the Carolinas we have more evidence of Gullahs settling English speaking islands especially after the revolutionary war.

Yes, its a joke to you because your only reference to ADOS people(like many on here) is northeast ADOS or completely urbanized ADOS. But more importantly your videos are moot because the African cultural influence of Aframs is different from English speaking Caribbean people. Ours which comes from a different part of West Africa i.e the Sahel and not coastal pagan West Africans like Yorubas. I know this maybe a sucker to some and some clowns trying to claim I'm trying to "Islamize" ADOS heritage but facts are facts.

Case in point the Diddly Bow which comes straight from the Sahel.

You say Black Americans are the most influential but then used Caribbean popular music(especially Jamaican) to compare to African popular music. Both which have ADOS influence especially the former(Jamaican popular music). What the heck? And again what is "African" because yea we are the LEAST coastal West-Central African influenced.

The very irony of you saying the bolded lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDMQA-PxsE

Listen from 2:50,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCd5W4gwJsI

Listen from around 13:00. And also ask people whether this woman doesn't sound as if she is from the Caribbean. If you don't think that she sounds like a Caribbean woman you really shouldn't be opining on this.

Black American culture is dominant in global black culture because WHITE American culture is also dominant. The two work together and spread via the same chassis. Black American culture impacts global blacks because we can relate to it.

Now run along and teach Africans how to be "African".

Nigeria dominates African cultures now with its Nollywood and Afropop.

And of course Malian music is very heavily influenced by that of North Africa. There are strong two way cultural interactions between Morocco and Mali. Nigeria is Nigeria. Fewer pre colonial external influences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D31E5xrDpTc

Congo music. We don't have to dig up dying musical forms to find intersectionality with Africa. This fits right into Eastern Caribbean music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1eM11-3A2I

What is ADOS about this. You will admit that this dialect is far more distant from standard English than is Geechee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_XkTKoDI18

Nigerian music and Pidgin English. I understand most of what he is saying when he speaks Pidgin. Why? Because I understand the various Caribbean creoles.

If one does a continuum from the most to least African of the major Afro descent groups in the Americas Haiti is nearest to the African continuum, black America is the furthest (which is why your intersectionality is with North African influenced Malian music). The major Caribbean and Latin American black groups fall in between.

And of course being African is more than just music.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:19 PM

As to enslaved peoples from SC settling the Bahamas. Well settlement into SC from Barbados predated that.

https://www.barbadoscarolinas.org/the-connection-1

If Gullah/Geechee represents an early AA culture then why isn't it found in the Mississippi Delta region, one of the most highly segregated, with a dense black population, so likely to preserve large aspects of earlier AA cultures. Gullah/Geechee is specific to coastal SC. Not even in inland SC. Exactly where the first settlements out of Barbados and so where some of the earliest enslaved peoples settled.

Even your data shows 20% of the enslaved peoples arriving in the USA came via the Caribbean.

There are two regions of Black America with a Caribbean interface. The SC coastal regions out of Barbados, and New Orleans out of Haiti. Your "Hoodoo" I bet was derived out of their Voodoo. It is known as "obeah" in the English speaking Caribbean, and not a complete religion as is Voodoo.

To show the difference. Your Brer Rabbit stories are related to the Anansi stories out of West Africa. But while Brer rabbit is adapted and Americanized, Anansi in the Caribbean remains the same spider that he was in West Africa.

Caribbean speech. "Is whe he deh. He deh heu, He jus come and nyam de food and gaan". "Deh" and "nyam" are of Igbo origin. You will find more African derived words in regular Caribbean speech than in that of the AA. A Caribbean person can watch a Nollywood movie in Pidgin and understand most of what is being said, after a few minutes of deciphering the accent difference and certain grammatical difference (they will say "dey go" and we will say "go deh" for the standard English "going over there".

But continue to dig deep into ancient history and into the most remote regions to fool yourself that ADOS culture is more "African" than are the cultures of the English speaking Caribbean.

ADOS culture has more fully developed a style which is unique to itself and separate from Africa. Not sure why you are ashamed of it. Its actually quite popular.

Last edited by caribny; 03-11-2020 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Dude WHAT THE %#$* are you talking about with this Bajan nonsense?

Yea.... South Carolina slavers decided to go to freaking Barbados for slaves who can cultivate rice in swamps and NOT Upper Guinea. Are you serious? And lastly Gullah influenced AAVE.

Let me just cool down..... Because I really need to after that.
You got it backwards. The BAJAN planters settled the coastal regions of SC, which were too hot and humid for other American planters. THEY brought in slaves from the Liberia/Sierra Leone.

Now please go find me evidence that Mende, Mandingo or other languages from that region are spoken by the Geechee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9QrfUXDrJo

Listen and enjoy.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
At 51 you are middle aged. While you didn't have direct exposure to the worst of Jim Crow your parents and older relatives (even older siblings/cousins) would have. So your reaction.

Now imagine someone from the English speaking Caribbean. The descendants of these enslaved peoples dominate the politics and are the bulk of the management/professional classes. Maybe there might still be skin colorism issues (not perpetrated by the local whites, who at 1% of the population, maintain a low profile). But a direct connection to naked racism is remote. Classism yes, colorism, maybe but racism, no. Hence the different reaction.

As I said before, and someone concurred, the narrative of the English speaking Caribbean is different. We learn about Cuffy, Cudjoe, and the various slave rebellions. We also learn about the Maroons of Jamaica and Suriname. Definitely about the Haitian Revolution. We also learn and visibly see the results of the struggles of earlier ancestors to overcome oppression. People like Norman Manley, Robert Bradshaw, VC Bird, Nathanial Critchlow, Uriah Butler, Eric Williams. We aren't outsiders in our societies so we dwell less on the oppressive aspects of our history.

The differences between the reactions of Black Americans and blacks from the non Hispanic Caribbean is real. Black Americans need to understand that their experience of "blackness" isn't universal. For instance some Haitians and Africans, fleeing black dictators, will have a very different view. Many times its the whites who assist them as they challenge the impacts of destructive black governance.
WOW.Let me tell you something.I dont need to understand anything. What you dont understand is that you and your delusions are devoid of any real knowledge of Afro Americans and their passage to the Americas. Im not the one to continue arguing with someone who has an agenda using false narratives to promote division among people of African descent,What is it that you are truing to prove?Why is it so important for you to discredit anh real ties and connections Afro Americans have to their ancestral home?
You alrady been proven you clearly have a lack of detail knowledge on this subject but seem to want to make your own heritage somehow more relevant than those of Afro Americans. Some that has Africans as a whole behind every race in the world. We continue to sow these type of divisions and it does nothing but keep us behind while others make money off of us.

Its very condescending how someone like you thinks they are the smartest person in the room.
I have many GOOD friends who are Haitian,Senegalese,Congolese,Jamaican,Bajan,etc and my best friend who is like my brother is London born Nigerian who lived in the US for 20 years.
You not telling me anything new because I have traveled and lived in 20 different countries around the world and have seen with my own eyes and talked with those people of African decent about there culture,history social adjustments etc.
The difference between you and me is that I listen and learn.I dont try to deny or diminish the struggle of people who share the same ancestral homelands.
I suggest you get out of your bubble behind the computer and travel the areas of the South from urban to rural as I have lived in New York City,New Jersey,Delaware,Philadephia,New Mexico,Arizona,Texas and have visited many more ares of the US. Every time engaging in conversation with not only people of African descent but those of other races for context.
If it were not for privacy reasons,I would post a screen shot of one side of my family tree that dates back to the early 1700's in America.

Many African did arrive in the Caribbean before being shipped to Americas but is that relevant considering that they werent native to the Caribbean just like they werent native to the America's?NO.
If I were African,Id be shaking my head at this silliness

Also the amount of time this happened from when they left to going to N.America would not have ant significant cultural changes than when they came from Africa to begin with.
Its such a stupid and negative argument to deny that when any group of people change environments the culture will always mutate and become different and yet retain similarities to the original homeland

For context:
My father was a dean and VP of more than one University and served in Vietnam,
His father was one of the few black commissioned officers in the Korean War andWW I and II
My Grandmothers Great Uncle was one of the founders of an HBCU in Georgia where many of family on both sides of my family went including both my parents where they met.
Two of my cousins have gone to Duke University.One is currently there on an academic scholarship where she was accepted at 16.
The other cousin now holds a very prominent high profile position at GlaxoSmithKline at the age of 38.

One of my close friends of more than 20 years is a Georgia State Representative.

I grew up in a town where 99% of the blacks were from the South.They are successful and doing very well as well as there kids. Maybe where you live it different but there are many areas that are both urban and rural where those with native roots in America are doing well and doing bad.
I will say this as a caveat,my relatives that grew up North arent doing as well as those who grew up in the South. Doesnt mean they are doing bad,but just not as well.

I just cant for the life me how ANYONE can tell another person what they experience is not what they experience.Its entirely disrespectful,condescending and shows a complete lack of empathy.

You seriously need some help

Last edited by CleverOne; 03-12-2020 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa