Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 01:13 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,073,233 times

Advertisements

Sadly....

The Democratic Republic of Congo is prepared to take part in testing of any future vaccine against the coronavirus, the head of the country's taskforce against the pandemic said on Friday.

"We've been chosen to conduct these tests," said the head of the national biological institute, Jean-Jacques Muyembe.

"The vaccine will be produced in the United States, or in Canada, or in China. We're candidates for doing the testing here," Muyembe told a news briefing in comments that sparked controversy in DR Congo amid charges the population was being used as guinea pigs. https://www.msn.com/en-za/health/cor...k9h?li=BBqfP3n

Many African countries are being asked to participate in this "vaccine" dissemination. African countries are asking for debt relief at this time. The west has been committing acts of genocide for hundreds of years and has raped the continent. Debt forgiven! Start a new!

Nigeria, Morocco, South Africa makes vaccines for example
Rwanda and Ethiopia and many other countries in Africa make medical supplies.

Why are we importing this stuff and crying about prices increases?

Lessons to be learned here:
1. Make your own vaccines
2. Make your own medical supplies (sell to the global market)
3. Make our own testing kits
4. Trade with our neighbors
5. There will be a global food shortage, sending out all of our food will not leave much less for our own people. Take care of our people
6. Kick out some of these NGO's and many of the Westerners!
7. Continue to improve the infrastructure, build more medical facilities.
8. Improve the living standard, running water for all getting rid of slums! These can be community build projects.
9. Increase the pool of quality medical professionals
10. Be a producer not a purchaser!
11. We are good enough, use our currency! We do not need the West! NOT EVERYONE IS OUR FRIENDS! WE MAKE GOOD PRODUCTS! YOU WANT THE WESTERN DREAM - US AFRICANS WANT THE AFRICAN DREAM!
12. Don't sell your people out, DON'T SELL YOUR PEOPLE OUT!

Those of us in the diaspora I know this is a trying time but please donate to African countries. Even if you give a dollar it goes FAR! Our people need our help. We also need to generate pools of money within the African American communities to also help us at this time. I see this as an opportunity to get ourselves together! I'll be reaching out directly to African government to see where we should be donating in addition I'll be posting information for those organizations that help assist African Americans. Please post information if you have it!

This thread was to start and or partake in the propaganda machine to falsely convey how coronavirus would be spread in Africa because the people are poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkkz4-Wguo

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 04-05-2020 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 03:36 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,449,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Sadly....

The Democratic Republic of Congo is prepared to take part in testing of any future vaccine against the coronavirus, the head of the country's taskforce against the pandemic said on Friday.

"We've been chosen to conduct these tests," said the head of the national biological institute, Jean-Jacques Muyembe.

"The vaccine will be produced in the United States, or in Canada, or in China. We're candidates for doing the testing here," Muyembe told a news briefing in comments that sparked controversy in DR Congo amid charges the population was being used as guinea pigs. https://www.msn.com/en-za/health/cor...k9h?li=BBqfP3n

Many African countries are being asked to participate in this "vaccine" dissemination. African countries are asking for debt relief at this time. The west has been committing acts of genocide for hundreds of years and has raped the continent. Debt forgiven! Start a new!

Nigeria, Morocco, South Africa makes vaccines for example
Rwanda and Ethiopia and many other countries in Africa make medical supplies.

Why are we importing this stuff and crying about prices increases?

Lessons to be learned here:
1. Make your own vaccines
2. Make your own medical supplies (sell to the global market)
3. Make our own testing kits
4. Trade with our neighbors
5. There will be a global food shortage, sending out all of our food will not leave much less for our own people. Take care of our people
6. Kick out some of these NGO's and many of the Westerners!
7. Continue to improve the infrastructure, build more medical facilities.
8. Improve the living standard, running water for all getting rid of slums! These can be community build projects.
9. Increase the pool of quality medical professionals
10. Be a producer not a purchaser!
11. We are good enough, use our currency! We do not need the West! NOT EVERYONE IS OUR FRIENDS! WE MAKE GOOD PRODUCTS! YOU WANT THE WESTERN DREAM - US AFRICANS WANT THE AFRICAN DREAM!
12. Don't sell your people out, DON'T SELL YOUR PEOPLE OUT!

Those of us in the diaspora I know this is a trying time but please donate to African countries. Even if you give a dollar it goes FAR! Our people need our help. We also need to generate pools of money within the African American communities to also help us at this time. I see this as an opportunity to get ourselves together! I'll be reaching out directly to African government to see where we should be donating in addition I'll be posting information for those organizations that help assist African Americans. Please post information if you have it!

This thread was to start and or partake in the propaganda machine to falsely convey how coronavirus would be spread in Africa because the people are poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEkkz4-Wguo
I'm from Nigeria, currently living in the US.
I wish to God that what you are advocating can come true, but I fear that you are wrong. The coronavirus is coming to Africa, and it wont be pretty. In Nigeria, they have already started the lockdown in Lagos which is being ignored by everyone...unlike in Europe and America, there is no stimulus to help people who were already struggling before the virus hit, so they are ignoring the quarantine, figuring it's better to die of the virus than to die of hunger.
You would essentially need the military out patrolling the streets to force Nigerians to stay indoors. And then you are asking for civil unrest. Nigeria at least has suffered from a horribly corrupt and incompetent government for too long. Expecting it to now competently guide the country through this crisis is a pipe dream (then again, I've been watching the "advanced" leadership here in the US stumble around so I guess I cant be too critical).
Pray for Africa. She is going to need it to get through this.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm from Nigeria, currently living in the US.
I wish to God that what you are advocating can come true, but I fear that you are wrong. The coronavirus is coming to Africa, and it wont be pretty. In Nigeria, they have already started the lockdown in Lagos which is being ignored by everyone...unlike in Europe and America, there is no stimulus to help people who were already struggling before the virus hit, so they are ignoring the quarantine, figuring it's better to die of the virus than to die of hunger.
You would essentially need the military out patrolling the streets to force Nigerians to stay indoors. And then you are asking for civil unrest. Nigeria at least has suffered from a horribly corrupt and incompetent government for too long. Expecting it to now competently guide the country through this crisis is a pipe dream (then again, I've been watching the "advanced" leadership here in the US stumble around so I guess I cant be too critical).
Pray for Africa. She is going to need it to get through this.
Thanks for responding! Covid19 and actions and intentions of certain people should be a wake up call to African countries. Everyone has the virus but not Covid19. Quarantining everyone in Nigeria or any African country is too difficult to be achieved and is a Western solution IMO. I'm not one to down our leaders in Africa but they've dealt and are dealing with many engineered diseases such as HIV, Ebola, and now COVID19. They have handled the Covid19 much better than they are given credit for. The only reason they are getting this virus now is because it is being imported. Just like ebola the government should continue to quarantine the individuals that have it and those entering the country quarantine them as they've been doing. Not shut down everything! They've got to use effective methods used in the past now that they know what they are dealing with rather than do what the Westerners are doing which is proving to be hazardous.

The things African Nations have done to prevent the spread:
- Shut down flights (I wish Ethiopia would do this all across the board but if they can isolate cases I guess its not an issue)
- Newcomers to the country are screened, temperatures are taken, in many instances they are quarantined for 14 days
- They are checking their status
- Some countries like Ghana are giving people in the country money, in some countries businesses don't have to pay their loans for some time, food is being delivered in Rwanda In Nigeria they have been doing extraordinary things to combat COVID19 like rapid diagnostic testing within 48 hours, they've borrowed $6.5B to support their efforts (hopefully they won't have to use all of this) they are building additional facilities
- Created isolation stations for those with COVID19 - this is so with regular issues see their doctors without bringing home COVID19

Right now Nigeria is dealing with Lassa fever which is a bigger issue than Covid19 https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...irus-epidemic/

Africa still has the lowest cases of COVID19 BTW let's hope it stays this way.

Every government on this planet has some levels of corruption! If you think the stimulus is going to help people in the USA don't make me laugh (when people become unemployed and that check runs out which won't cover a month's worth of expenses and unemployment runs out then what)! The reality is that the average American were already living paycheck to paycheck, have no savings, and are in debt and in other Western countries the debt and economy was already shaky too. The economy has been shaky for some time now and this pandemic has sent it over the cliff.

There will always be advocation of change and progress in Africa and actually at this time I'm seeing it happen.

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 04-06-2020 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 12:00 AM

biafra4life,

Also, our mindset in the diaspora has to change. It is not okay to condemn Africa or its leadership while not understanding what is currently being done and what your role can be in Africa's development. The continent has fought many viruses/diseases and will battle this one too. Give them credit and understand what shines is not always gold.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:22 PM

24,668 posts, read 9,487,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Any country that lacks sanitation will have contaminated water and parasites. There is no pure water in many countries for this reason. The Dominican Republic has the same issue.

It is usually ignorance and political reasons that make it so. Why these countries have not been able to conquer them is beyond me, but it is not our problem. We have our own problems.
A lot of it comes down to corruption. If African leaders don’t invest in their country with the money/opportunities/trade/goods they are given or the natural resources they have, nothing can be fixed.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
biafra4life,

Also, our mindset in the diaspora has to change. It is not okay to condemn Africa or its leadership while not understanding what is currently being done and what your role can be in Africa's development. The continent has fought many viruses/diseases and will battle this one too. Give them credit and understand what shines is not always gold.
I'm not sure where you are from...i'm guessing Ethiopia? Forgive me if I got that wrong. I have lots of Habasha friends so I'm somewhat familiar with Ethiopia. From everything I've read and heard, Ethiopia is actually one of the few African countries blessed with good leadership. Ghana is another in that category, so much that Nigerians are now moving to Ghana as it's more stable and reliable than Nigeria.

So for you, I think you have every right to have faith in your government's leadership and to be optimistic about the future.
Nigeria, my country of origin, is a different matter altogether. We do NOT have good leaders. All they do is steal money and put in their pockets. Just recently there was video taken of a government official stealing supplies meant for the people to survive on during the lockdown! And I dont say this as some guy living in the US. I lived in Nigeria for several years before leaving. I still have family in Nigeria who I go back to visit. So I'm not speaking from the comfort of the US with no idea of what's really going on. Nigeria was a craphole when I was there, and not much has changed sorry to say.

Again, dont make the mistake of thinking the great leaders you have in your country are all over Africa, because that is not the case. Too many countries in Africa have leaders who steal government money to jet off to Europe to their mansions and luxury shopping while back home their people do not have access to basic necessities like clean water.

I could go on and on about just how rotten most of African leadership is, but I dont want to derail the thread any longer. Again, pray that God looks down and helps Africa, because the leaders definitely wont.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm not sure where you are from...i'm guessing Ethiopia? Forgive me if I got that wrong. I have lots of Habasha friends so I'm somewhat familiar with Ethiopia. From everything I've read and heard, Ethiopia is actually one of the few African countries blessed with good leadership. Ghana is another in that category, so much that Nigerians are now moving to Ghana as it's more stable and reliable than Nigeria.

So for you, I think you have every right to have faith in your government's leadership and to be optimistic about the future.
Nigeria, my country of origin, is a different matter altogether. We do NOT have good leaders. All they do is steal money and put in their pockets. Just recently there was video taken of a government official stealing supplies meant for the people to survive on during the lockdown! And I dont say this as some guy living in the US. I lived in Nigeria for several years before leaving. I still have family in Nigeria who I go back to visit. So I'm not speaking from the comfort of the US with no idea of what's really going on. Nigeria was a craphole when I was there, and not much has changed sorry to say.

Again, dont make the mistake of thinking the great leaders you have in your country are all over Africa, because that is not the case. Too many countries in Africa have leaders who steal government money to jet off to Europe to their mansions and luxury shopping while back home their people do not have access to basic necessities like clean water.

I could go on and on about just how rotten most of African leadership is, but I dont want to derail the thread any longer. Again, pray that God looks down and helps Africa, because the leaders definitely wont.
I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from (I really do). Many Africans aren't happy with their government, some reasons are very valid and others are just laughable as some people don't understand the purpose and role of the government. Ethiopia and Ghana have also gone through regime changes and struggle with the same issues Nigeria has but on different scales. It does take the people to make differences in any African country. All of the governors, senators, congressmen, Presidents in the USA have become wealthier as a result of their position in the government. I don't idolize the western governments as they have corporatized and corrupted an imperfect system and when you talk about stealing I have plenty things to say on this topic as there is no greater thief than the west.

Everyone in Africa should have clean drinking water, electricity, access to hospitals, and shouldn't be living in slums. But this is both a people problem and government issue. If Chinese people didn't believe in China or returning home it would never be as powerful and or developed as it is today (they have always had a huge population, many poor people, slums, government issue, ethnic issues, etc but they've turned this around).

How can you say that Nigeria is a craphole? All of Nigeria, come on be fair. You have places like Abuja (Asokoro), and Lagos (Banana island). Craphole countries don't produce highly educated people, 29k+ millionaires, and several billionaires just in Nigeria, tech giants, 2nd largest film industry in the world, #1 GDP in Africa which is the 10th largest economy in the world. The people in the diaspora are also doing well. When foreigners see more value in Africa than we do that is a major problem!

Old 04-08-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from (I really do). Many Africans aren't happy with their government, some reasons are very valid and others are just laughable as some people don't understand the purpose and role of the government. Ethiopia and Ghana have also gone through regime changes and struggle with the same issues Nigeria has but on different scales. It does take the people to make differences in any African country. All of the governors, senators, congressmen, Presidents in the USA have become wealthier as a result of their position in the government. I don't idolize the western governments as they have corporatized and corrupted an imperfect system and when you talk about stealing I have plenty things to say on this topic as there is no greater thief than the west.

Everyone in Africa should have clean drinking water, electricity, access to hospitals, and shouldn't be living in slums. But this is both a people problem and government issue. If Chinese people didn't believe in China or returning home it would never be as powerful and or developed as it is today (they have always had a huge population, many poor people, slums, government issue, ethnic issues, etc but they've turned this around).

How can you say that Nigeria is a craphole? All of Nigeria, come on be fair. You have places like Abuja (Asokoro), and Lagos (Banana island). Craphole countries don't produce highly educated people, 29k+ millionaires, and several billionaires just in Nigeria, tech giants, 2nd largest film industry in the world, #1 GDP in Africa which is the 10th largest economy in the world. The people in the diaspora are also doing well. When foreigners see more value in Africa than we do that is a major problem!
Well let me clarify, I dont think the Nigerian people are crap, just the leadership. Nigerian people are some of the most enterprising, hard working people anywhere. All they need is just a stable functioning government structure and they will thrive.

I know this ever since coming here to the States. Never have I been more proud to be Nigerian since coming here. In the Dallas area where I live, Nigerians are achieving great things, loads of doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. It's not even that big a deal to see a Nigerian kid get into medical school anymore. Happens quite a bit. Same with other African immigrants here too.

And that is the annoying thing. Like I said, being given some sort of reliable government structure, Nigerians here have risen to the top, yet back home the opposite is true. There is very little chance of a rags to riches story in Nigeria. All those billionaires you read about are either related to the high and mighty in government or the military.

My own personal story. 20 years ago, I came here to the US with little more than a college scholarship in my back pocket. Completely broke. Same for my 4 siblings. Fast forward to today, all 5 of us are living the American dream. 1 lawyer, 2 CPAs, 1 tech startup owner and another in healthcare software. None of this would have happened for us back home where we have no connections to the rich and mighty. How do I know this? because I have relatives and friends back home. Many of them young. Have college degrees. Many of them were excellent students. No chance of any type of job. So they sit at home and scratch around. Their best hope is begging enough money to maybe get into school in the US, Canada or Europe and start their lives. Till then, they are in limbo, living off family who are also struggling themselves. This is the Nigeria I know. Not the happy dancing guys in Patoranking music videos. But men and women struggling to survive.

This is why the average Nigerian would laugh if you mention all those stats about being the 10th largest economy and all that. None of it has trickled down to the man on the street. Supposedly Nigeria earned over 300 billion dollars in oil revenue over the last 30 years, and yet there is absolutely nothing to show for it. Roads are a mess, for electric power you are required to own your own generator. There are whole patches of land in the south where the oil companies cant be bothered to patch up their oil pipes so the farmland is ruined for miles, covered in leaking oil. But on the other hand, several ex Nigerian presidents have become billionaires. Imagine that.

You mention Banana Island and Abuja. Places where 99.9 per cent of Nigerians wouldnt even be allowed near the gates. Nigeria has over 120 million people. Nollywood is not going to feed them. Neither are the musicians. Until the average Nigerian has a reasonable chance of having even a working class (by US standards) life, all of these pretty statistics are just that, pretty stats that ultimately mean nothing.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:46 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,564,407 times
I'll post this video and see what will happen with the Continent.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:01 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,564,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'll post this video and see what will happen with the Continent.
Meanwhile, in China African people are being discriminated against by the Chinese legally (in some areas).

This video along with this is showing that Africans are being kicked out of their places, denied service, and forced to live on the streets (or arrested). Chinese people are treated well on the African continent but there's no reciprocal behavior towards Africans in China on a whole. This isn't a sympathy post but I hope Africans retaliate (not violently) and balance the scales some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa