Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 AM

24 posts, read 80,121 times

Advertisements

We are potentially relocating to the N. Canton/Akron area. Our daughter is currently a Junior in High School and only needs to get through the spring semester and her senior year. We had thought about putting her in a private school for that time, just to make it easier on locating a house.

As with every area, everyone has lots of suggestions. I've read another thread that suggested Hudson, Fairlawn Heights, and Lyndhurst....but this is what I need from you guys...please:

Private High School suggestions. I do not want super elite, but college preparatory would be excellent. I would prefer one that doesn't have a known reputation for being snobby with how much money each of the students has.

I would consider a Magnet school for writing/journalism, but need advice on that as well. Our daughter is studying science, but has won many awards for her writing and to help develop that would be worth a magnet school.

Help?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,012,926 times
Don't know about the writing aspect, but St Vincent St Mary has a great reputation and a mixed socioeconomic group of students. They are also nationally known for sports, i.e. Lebron James. That would be my first stop.

Our Lady of the Elms is also very good. As an added bonus there are no teenage boys there.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
If you are going the private school route, you can pick the area you love and not worry abut the school district. The best HS in the area are all Catholic - but don't worry, none of them have predominantly Catholic students. The Elms is the highest ranked school academically, small, nurturing and family oriented. The size would make it easy for your daughter's transfer. Elms girls can get into any top college (if they have the grades and test scores) It is known for producing achievers. Walsh Jesuit is an outstanding school, but it might not be an easy transition academically, it is rigorous, and very sports oriented, known for athletics and academics. They produce warriors St Vincent St Mary is another good school, small and well rounded. Hoban is another great school. Fine old Akron reputation, many of Akron's top leaders went here. (as well as ST V)
Good students graduating from all these schools get into top colleges. You would not be disappointed with any of them, You need to choose the school your daughter feels good about. All of them have "shadow programs" Call the schools and talk to them, visit them and see how you feel.

All of the schools are diverse economically. Dress Codes keep the competition for clothing out of the school . Good Luck! Welcome to Akron!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,268,014 times
If you're in Akron, I'd definitely suggest St.Vincent-St.Mary's High School. I mean, LeBron James went there after all haha. But honestly, it's a great school with a good mixture of students.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM

780 posts, read 1,583,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbury150 View Post
We are potentially relocating to the N. Canton/Akron area. Our daughter is currently a Junior in High School and only needs to get through the spring semester and her senior year. We had thought about putting her in a private school for that time, just to make it easier on locating a house.

As with every area, everyone has lots of suggestions. I've read another thread that suggested Hudson, Fairlawn Heights, and Lyndhurst....but this is what I need from you guys...please:

Private High School suggestions. I do not want super elite, but college preparatory would be excellent. I would prefer one that doesn't have a known reputation for being snobby with how much money each of the students has.

I would consider a Magnet school for writing/journalism, but need advice on that as well. Our daughter is studying science, but has won many awards for her writing and to help develop that would be worth a magnet school.

Help?

Thanks!!!!
In regards to public schools, Jackson Local (just west of NOrth Canton) and North Canton City Schools are both excellent district that consistently receive the very best academic ratings.

I know Jackson has writing/journalism classes, but don't much about it, unfortunately.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM

13 posts, read 39,095 times
I'd also consider the Lake school district, which includes the areas of Uniontown and Hartville. Very good reputation. Living there, you could take advantage of what both Akron and Canton have to offer.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM

780 posts, read 1,583,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwahoo View Post
I'd also consider the Lake school district, which includes the areas of Uniontown and Hartville. Very good reputation. Living there, you could take advantage of what both Akron and Canton have to offer.
True, Lake is a very good district, and seems to be getting better and better. Lots of great qualities.

Although, I will point out that Lake is a pretty good distance from I-77, so it's not quite as convenient as many of the areas of Jackson/North Canton to get to the highway to be able to get to Akron & Canton.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,123,097 times
Check out Walsh Jesuit in Cuyahoga Falls just to the north of Akron. Academically speaking, far superior to SVSM. Not in Akron proper, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton