Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:10 AM

563 posts, read 668,434 times

Advertisements

Not a good week for Chapel Hill Mall.

In just the last two days, it's been dealt the blow of Macy's closing their store, and now official word that longtime tenants Express, Old Navy and Aeropostale are leaving.

I think this could be the beginning of the end. Sears is on life support as a company and JCPenney could be lured to greener pastures sooner than later. Customers are sticking to Howe Avenue and have defected to newer shopping options in Stow, Brimfield, Macedonia, and the rebirth of State Road Plaza as Portage Crossing.

The crime problems and the foreclosure proceedings are the icing on the cake and may be driving away the tenants and customers alike.

Is there any hope left?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 PM

96 posts, read 105,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtv411 View Post

In just the last two days, it's been dealt the blow of Macy's closing their store, and now official word that longtime tenants Express, Old Navy and Aeropostale are leaving.

I think this could be the beginning of the end. Sears is on life support as a company and JCPenney could be lured to greener pastures sooner than later. Customers are sticking to Howe Avenue and have defected to newer shopping options in Stow, Brimfield, Macedonia, and the rebirth of State Road Plaza as Portage Crossing.

The crime problems and the foreclosure proceedings are the icing on the cake and may be driving away the tenants and customers alike.

Is there any hope left?
Oh wow. After hearing all of that, I think it's safe to say that there is slim to no hope :-/.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:44 AM

37 posts, read 48,470 times
I lived in the falls for 4 years and I may have went to Chapel Hill Mall 5 times. While I enjoy much of the shopping on Howe Ave. the mall itself didn't do it for me. I never once felt unsafe, but the offerings and overall look and feel of the mall was a bit off. It was worth it to add an extra 15 minutes to the drive out to Summit Mall for me.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
It has just outlived its time, I guess. I lived there when CH first opened, and went there a lot. The older Malls, in general, are not doing well across the country, especially with the disastrous economy in NE Ohio. Unless an area is upscale, and a mall keeps attracting the right stores, the malls aren't viable any more. I live in Savannah now, and we have a mall that is also circling the drain. If it didn't have a Bass Pro, it would be gone by now.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:08 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,469,842 times
Quote:

Is there any hope left?
Probably not if Rolling Acres is any indication. I always said that Summit Mall would always be the last one standing.

And you know Chapel Hill was my daily driver once Rolling Acres and Randall Park closed shop, in the early to mid 90s.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It has just outlived its time, I guess. I lived there when CH first opened, and went there a lot. The older Malls, in general, are not doing well across the country, especially with the disastrous economy in NE Ohio. Unless an area is upscale, and a mall keeps attracting the right stores, the malls aren't viable any more. I live in Savannah now, and we have a mall that is also circling the drain. If it didn't have a Bass Pro, it would be gone by now.
The only malls in America that are not dead malls are those in wealthy, upper class suburbs, or those in a wealthy, upper class, Downtown. And a lot of the malls in Ohio, although they're in suburbia, they're in poor suburban areas. Those areas are a shadow of what they were when those malls were thriving.

When O'Neils closed, and the shopping moved out of the city, how ironic that the shopping now leaevs suburbia for the exurbs.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 AM

563 posts, read 668,434 times
...And now Sears is pulling the plug.

This is one of those Seritage locations so unless they have a store up their sleeve, the mall has yet another foot in the grave.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
...And now Sears is pulling the plug.

This is one of those Seritage locations so unless they have a store up their sleeve, the mall has yet another foot in the grave.
I thought Sears had already left.

I was up there a few months ago and the place reminded me of what Rolling Acres looked like when I left for college in the late eighties. I can only assume what the future of that mall will be.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:24 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
So, what's the latest on Chapel Hill and Summit Mall?

Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, what's the latest on Chapel Hill and Summit Mall?
Summit Mall is the only decent mall in the metro. Chapel Hill is pedestrian. It's really a reflection of the wealth in the area; things just aren't what they used to be.

Plus America has entirely too much retail. The eighties are over. Materialism is only for the wealthy; like it used to be. It's not just Akron, stores are closing everywhere.

When it's over and done only the upper middle class neighborhoods will have retail. Everyone else will shop at the five and dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton