Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:11 PM

250 posts, read 530,037 times

Advertisements

"Becoming safer" is not to say "safe". Tremont is a jungle. The West Bank of the Flats is kind of okay, but the East Bank has that W6th urban hip-hop crowd coming down the hill and it's bad. I saw my nephew on July 4th. He is a 2nd district cop, which includes Ohio City and Tremont. He suggested that any time after the sun goes down, stay away unless you are with a large group or carrying. But remember, the thug is carrying too. Oho City was a good idea when the hipsters started buying those homes for $5000 and doing renovation on them. There are some great homes with the turret rooms in that area. Some good restaurants. In the 80s it was fine. But with economic growth comes the thugs who will rob patrons leaving the bars and restaurants. I was at Parker's often when Parkey Bosley owed it. I actually lived in the Flats in Crittenden Courts for a year in 98-99. Beautiful apartment. Expensive, but it's only money. I left when my lease expired to move to Akron as I was getting married. I grew up at 55th and Superior. Born in 1951, so I have been around for every up and down cycle of Cleveland history. Google "Hough Riots". That was 1200 yards south from where I lived.

Until the mayor of Cleveland gets his priorities straight and cleans up the drug and gang crime, it will remain a sewer. It was fine when those thugs stayed in the ghetto and robbed each other, but now they are expanding their target zone.

Here's some light reading about Tremont.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...ed_at_gun.html
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...at_dog_du.html
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...t_in_trem.html
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...ath_woman.html
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...double_sl.html
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...or_longti.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:05 PM

150 posts, read 619,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchygirl View Post
I know that I already replied to your private message. But well, street trash and idiots that fight at bars at closing time is just....life in any urban area?

I totally agree that Veterans are not treated right in this country. And I am shocked that our government refuses to put more money into getting veterans off the streets and to also treat many of the underlying causes of homelessness which can also be mental issues often stemming from their original enlistment. The underfunding of VA hospitals is sickening.

That being said, I feel like defending our rights as Americans is also about defending the rights for people to become Americans. The Nepali population are refugees from a climate where their right to even exist is in jeopardy. This is a tough situation as they did not WANT to become Americans. Perhaps, they even wanted to go to another country but these immigrants get divided up amongst many countries. My husband works with some Nepali kids now. They mainly feel isolated as they try to catch up in English as a Second Language courses. Kids often go from model students in Nepal to failing a subject they know and love because they are thrown in the mix while still learning the language. They DO learn fast. But they also struggle because their passions are often very different until they feel confident enough to speak to American classmates and share ideas. Most of these families are too poor for an XBox so while every American kid is currently sitting in front of a screen playing Fortnite, the latest craze, they all just really want to play soccer.

While I am sorry that your state of mind might cause you to feel wary of people with East Asian features, I must say, in the most respectful way, that this is your problem. Not theirs. That is simply the skin they were born in. Also, Nepalese food is quite delicious the few times I had it and I can't wait to explore the eateries. I wouldn't mind living in that neighborhood if it was just slightly more walkable to amenities. We would love to work there.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. There are MANY Nepali folks assimilating and trying to help others in the community assimilate as well, all while retaining important parts of their culture. A former refugee trained and became an Akron police officer earlier this year. His goal is to help the Nepali community better relate to law enforcement and feel comfortable asking for help and providing information.

Akron is actually a gathering place for refugees from Bhutan through secondary migration. Those placed elsewhere in the US often migrate here because they have families and/or a well-established community in Akron. North High has an *amazing* soccer team that has received a lot of press with many Nepali kids participating. In terms of safety, the refugee community is actually MUCH more likely to be victims than perpetrators of crime.

Also, there is a lot of misinformation about what is provided to refugees when they come here. They have to re-pay every penny of government funds spent on their behalf, including the plane tickets to get here. If you see a refugee family that looks comfortable, it is because in the past family members sacrificed living with multiple families and multiple breadwinners (factory work is typical) in one household, saved enough to invest in a business (neighborhood stores and restaurants, to name a few) and are living the American Dream in a way that could not be any more exemplary.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol McCullough View Post
Also, there is a lot of misinformation about what is provided to refugees when they come here. They have to re-pay every penny of government funds spent on their behalf, including the plane tickets to get here. If you see a refugee family that looks comfortable, it is because in the past family members sacrificed living with multiple families and multiple breadwinners (factory work is typical) in one household, saved enough to invest in a business (neighborhood stores and restaurants, to name a few) and are living the American Dream in a way that could not be any more exemplary.
If there is misinformation, please do share the correct information with us. I will tell you what has been shared with me. First hand.

They get FHA loans to buy HUD renovated foreclosed houses that are at 0% interest for the first 6 years. That information came from one of the Nepali people who took advantage of that, and there is a web site where I can prove it. Most of them drive expensive Range Rovers. Some are 3 car families. And a motorcycle. I am a Vietnam Veteran. I pay 5.5% for my FHA loan. I drive a 10 year old car. No inequities there, right? See, I pay interest on my mortgage so I have no money for toys like Jeeps and motorcycles.

Some may actually work and contribute to the community. I can only speak to the 5 Nepali homes on my street. All they do all day long is walk back and forth from house to house. I see no evidence of any of them working. Yet they have their house at 0% and Range Rover. That money came from somewhere.

The first thing that happened when one of these houses sold was that THREE families moved in. Screaming kids everywhere. This was a nice quiet neighborhood before they moved in. Now these kids scream all day long until the sun goes down. Right outside my window. Can't kids play without screaming like that? 12 years here without having to put up with that. Now it's a nightmare living here. I would truly rather have a dog rescue next door and listen to dogs barking.

I refuse to apologize for not being a liberal. Moving these people in ruined my neighborhood. The people who were here first (You know. Those of us without the 0% mortgages and Range Rovers.) should have been consulted. Obviously I'd rather have them here than a meth lab, but take a drive past tent city down at Arlington and Market and see if you think some of those American citizens might appreciate the opportunity to buy a house with a 0% interest mortgage.

I am aware that one of them became a cop. I am also well aware that they were brought here to avoid political persecution. More sympathetic to that kind of inhumanity I could not be. Do they have to camp out under my bedroom window?

This country needs to take care of OUR citizens first. Then if there are crusts and crumbs left over, fine, give them away. I am sick of seeing Veterans living in tents and these foreigners given houses. And to add to the insult, when police find a Veteran in a tent, they arrest him for loitering. This city has money for silly **** like bike trails and painting murals on buildings. They inconvenienced half the city by closing the innerbelt to create "more green space" and walking trails. All that does is create more places for the thugs to hang out and wait for prey to come by. How about building an apartment building for homeless Veterans? No, the liberals would SCREAM... "THAT'S DISCRIMINATORY!!! You have to make it open to EEEEEEEVERYBODYYYYYY." The liberals built those 2 apartments on Brownstone. The police are there 8-10 times PER SHIFT. The vermin that live there are constantly walking down the street to the Family Dollar to steal food and panhandle.

Yippie!! High school soccer!! I traded my quiet neighborhood for high school soccer? Yeah. Move to Akron.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09-05-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 02:25 PM

150 posts, read 619,933 times
I guess it is good that you have your exit strategy planned since you are so unhappy here. I don't think any response is going to change your mind, so I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol McCullough View Post
I guess it is good that you have your exit strategy planned since you are so unhappy here. I don't think any response is going to change your mind, so I wish you the best of luck.
Nor should you try to change my mind. It is the misguided way of the Gen X liberal to try and make people thank them for taking the money they earn working and giving it to the lazy and unmotivated who stay home and breed the next generation of welfare frauds.

Conform if you choose to. Conform is a fancy word for "knuckle under". "Become one of the pack." "Give in to the people who choose to live in the victim mentality, and have perfected that mentality over many generations."

I was happy here until the infestation. Now I don't even risk letting my dogs out when those people are in their backyard lest they hop the fence and kill my dogs for food.

Please do not respond to me again.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:48 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
Give in to the people who choose to live in the victim mentality
Pot meet kettle.

Nice job derailing a thread with your unhinged rant against the victims of ethnic cleansing.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
When I was growing up in Akron you had White people and you had Black people. It was rare to see anyone else. So I actually think that the refugees are a good thing. I've lived in other cities that actually have large populations of other groups and I have no intention of going back to the way things were in Akron and Dayton. Racial, cultural and religious diversity is actually a good thing. As far as the refugee aspect of it, that is immaterial to me. Yes I'm in a military region now which is it's own thing but it isn't as homogeneous as some of the cities in Ohio.

Besides, Akron's population is in free fall and the place is not what it used to be back in the eighties and nineties. And back then it wasn't what it was in the fifties. Someone has to live there. Akron always felt like a small city of neighborhoods anyway. Akron is like "what side of town do you live in". "What high school did you attend". Its just a different mindset you don't always find in larger cities.

I can understand if the OP is homesick. Large cities are not everything. In Cincinnati, you have a metro area that is reflective of more than one city and more than one state. An experience you don't normally get in Ohio. I'm still fascinated by how many people commute across state lines for work; well I was until I found myself doing it, and swore I'd never do it again. Anyway, things are simpler in Akron. But they're obviously changing. The Akron I knew no longer exists. That could be a good thing, depending on how you look at it.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:48 PM

Another pizza delivery driver, female, robbed at gunpoint at 3 in the afternoon. Crestview Ave off Copley.

In other news, the mayor, who laid off a bunch of cops, today announced that there will be a water feature downtown as part of a 31 million dollar lipstick and mascara project. No money for more to police so they have a better presence, but let's build that fountain!!! That fountain is going to attract people to come and live here!!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,160 times
The only bad thing about Akron is that we are somewhat in the snow belt and it's hard in the winter time to deal with the constant snow.... a couple inches seemingly every day The road get torn up and it's generally a mess to commute every day with so many people who feel like they have to race to work. It's not an Akron thing, but still it's something to deal with.

Overall, Akron is a cheap place to live with people who aren't all that bad overall. Good food, good places to shop, good diversity with the weather and really, no big natural disasters to deal with. Yeah, I'd say do it! Go ahead and do it. If you're not sure, move to California for a month and then you'll know that Akron is a diamond in the rough!

Old 11-11-2018, 05:15 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Come on, people. There is nothing wrong with Akron. Bloom where you are planted. Everything about being content anywhere is about your job and your family. Not everyone can live in a $2m house in San Francisco, but you can live a great life in Akron, and the schools are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton