Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 25,426 times

Advertisements

hi. will be working in downtown akron this fall. i'm looking for nicer apt. communities. what towns do you recommend living in? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmre View Post
hi. will be working in downtown akron this fall. i'm looking for nicer apt. communities. what towns do you recommend living in? thanks!

THere are not many apartment communities in Akron. The best ones however,
are probably close to Chapel Hill Mall. Townhouses, garages, pool, tennis etc.
Most apt. complexes in Akron don't offer those amentities. Easy drive to downtown, don't even have to deal with the freeway really. Faster to take Falls ave right down to Main street, go over the high-level bridge and there you are downtown Akron. Also Cuyahoga Falls has it's OWN utilities. Extremely cheap water, sewer and really really cheap electric. Extremely safe city. Around 40,000 people.

Do apt search with zip code 44223 and 44221.

Green is ok too, bit of a drive to downtown though. Green probably has more condo's for rent, than decent apt. complexes.

Hope this helps....and if I thought I could find a job back home in Akron, I'd get out of NC so fast your head would spin.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
I lived in Stow in 2004-2005, although I worked in Hudson, not Akron.
I knew someone living in downtown Akron that commuted from Fairlawn/Montrose.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:33 PM

41 posts, read 152,435 times
Many apartments to choose from in Fairlawn, Stow, Cuyahoga Falls. These communities are all very close to downtown Akron. Not sure if you're looking to be in a suburban environment or not. Another option is in West Akron or the Highland Square area of Akron. There are many apt options in Highland Square, which is more of a funky/urban environment with historic homes, some good restaurants and only a few minutes drive down W. Market St into downtown Akron. I work in downtown Akron myself, but live a short 15 - 20 minute drive away in the community of Wadsworth. Wadsworth is nice community too I know there are a few nice apt complexes here too. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,968 times
I currently live in the Highland Square area off North Portage Path. I love it! This area is about 5 minutes from downtown Akron....a lot of the buildings are older (i.e.mine was built in 1928, some others 1927). So, think crown moulding, large window sills, concrete walls (I Never hear my neighbors), original woodwork, hardwood floors. Studios tend to run between $395-$415...1 bedrooms prob about $525-$550? Typically the only utilities that you have to pay are electric and maybe gas for your stove. My electric runs me $14 in the winter and about $30 in the summer with my window A/C unit. Heat is free!! It's radiant, so you would find yourself cracking the windows in the winter because it gets sooo warm. So, as long as you like old-school style, then I would recommend the 'Seville' on West Market or the Avalon on North Partage Path. There are several other buildings that are fine, but those are my top 2 if I had to pick.
As far as the area itself, I would not recommend anything past Merriman going towards downtown - and definitely not Rhodes.
They are trying to revive the area as of recently, with new buildings (they just added a Chipotle and are working on a brand new library - a grocery store is coming soon supposedly). Other quaint places include Mary Coyles (ice cream), Angel Falls Coffee, Two Amigos (mexican), Aladdins (mid-eastern), & Dodies (neighborhood restaurant), and of course there is a McDonalds down West Market in either Wallhaven area & towards downtown. They have a pretty cool vintage shop called 'Revival' and there is also the old Highland Theater and a Walgreens on the corner. Closest grocery store right now would be Acme on West Market St. in Wallhaven - 5 min. drive tops.

Prior to living closer to dowtown, I lived in Fairlawn (which is basically suburbia right next door to Akron going towards Medina). Nice place, close to shopping and highway (I-77) that can get you to downtown within 10-15, but rent is higher. I was paying $540 for a one-bedroom...but that was relatively inexpensive for the area.

Sorry for the novel but I hope it helps. Any more questions....just ask!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 PM

40 posts, read 186,675 times
I'll pretty much second what everyone else has said here. It depends upon how close you actually want to be to Downtown, and what kind of neighborhood and amenities you are looking for.

Highland Square is about as close as it gets, 5 minutes from Main Street. As zipscott described it, it's a funky/urban neighborhood. And I'll add cool to that. Very socially active and diverse. There is a lot of new construction, restaurants, and a grocery store in the works. A few rough spots, though, but the community is seriously involved in efforts to do something about them.

If you don't mind looking a little further out, the Timbertop Apartments in the Merriman Valley shared between NW Akron and Cuyahoga Falls are just 15-20 minutes away (via Portage Trail & Rt. 8) and have quite a suburban/country feel about them. Lots of amenities, shops, restaurants and, of course, nature nearby. A good mix of everything.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 PM

122 posts, read 482,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
THere are not many apartment communities in Akron. The best ones however,
are probably close to Chapel Hill Mall. Townhouses, garages, pool, tennis etc.
Most apt. complexes in Akron don't offer those amentities. Easy drive to downtown, don't even have to deal with the freeway really. Faster to take Falls ave right down to Main street, go over the high-level bridge and there you are downtown Akron. Also Cuyahoga Falls has it's OWN utilities. Extremely cheap water, sewer and really really cheap electric. Extremely safe city. Around 40,000 people.

Do apt search with zip code 44223 and 44221.

Green is ok too, bit of a drive to downtown though. Green probably has more condo's for rent, than decent apt. complexes.

Hope this helps....and if I thought I could find a job back home in Akron, I'd get out of NC so fast your head would spin.
I hear ya. Been in Wilmington, NC for 12 yrs. now and I'm very ready to go back to the Akron area where I was raised.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeager9 View Post
I hear ya. Been in Wilmington, NC for 12 yrs. now and I'm very ready to go back to the Akron area where I was raised.
I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone say that they wanted to move back to Ohio.
'dvmre' - whats your price range/month?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Actually, i've been seeing a lot of people on here that want to move back to ohio.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 25,426 times
Default re apts in akron area

Thanks for all of the responses! I'm looking more for luxury-style apts...garage...washer/dryer in unit...newer construction...I don't mind a 15 min. commute into down town.

I've been hitting the major apt. search engines in the areas you all have suggested. Any more suggestions are welcomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton