Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKie D View Post
man u must be groovy to try to live in a rural area where people are standoffish, and nothing to do, that suprises me...
What has to be understood is people have different needs to fill when relocating. You are looking for your idea of acceptance and action. This particular person needs space, safety, and expense abatement. To concur with the others in this discussion, if madame can withstand the weather, then I think she would have a good chance of enjoying the area. From her original criteria, it seems to fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 AM

66 posts, read 339,891 times
Amazing! Someone actually WANTING to COME HERE to Ohio from Arizona! And to the Cleveland/NEO region at that! Isn't it supposed to be the other way around these days?

You would be surprised how many of as who left for the sunbelt are ready to come home to the Midwest. I was born in Cleveland, and it is drawing me back.

My native California wife, however, doesn't buy the white sand story ....

Old 07-15-2007, 08:44 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Default Want to buy my house?

We live in beautiful southern Medina County. Our pretty house, 6000 sq ft barn, pond, woods, and 14 acres are for sale. We are in the Cloverleaf School system, which has a rating of Excellent. This is a swell place to raise a family, but alas, we are empty nesters now.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 AM

55 posts, read 171,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
What has to be understood is people have different needs to fill when relocating. You are looking for your idea of acceptance and action. This particular person needs space, safety, and expense abatement. To concur with the others in this discussion, if madame can withstand the weather, then I think she would have a good chance of enjoying the area. From her original criteria, it seems to fit the bill.
i agree Art1979, i wish her the best of luck, and u too bro...

Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
I never really heard bad things like that about Arizona. The only things I hear about Arizona are that everything is new and nice, and its really hot. When people talk about high crime rates these days there mostly talking about large cities in the Midwest (Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis). Im from the Cleveland area so I dont know that much about the rural areas, and ive only seen Amish people 2 times in my life. Im guessing any place far enough from Akron and Canton that theres no chance for sprawl in the near future would be a nice place.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,316 times
Default Holmes county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovymommy View Post
I really need some reassurance that giving up everything out west in Arizona , and heading for the country is a great thing! We are tired of crappy scools, really high crime, real estate getting as high as CA and being stacked on top of our neighbor I cant wait to breath fresh air, feel safe again and watch the cows come home and let the kids play for hours in the corn fileds..seriously!! Please tell me of a great rural community around the Akron/Canton area that has great schools and low crime. My kids just fell in love with the Amish when we visit every year and I would love them to experience life around the Amish, as there is so much to learn . OK, and the weather worries me a bit as my hubby is a desert rat , how harsh are the winters really? Do areas around Akron/ Canton have more "lake affect" than others? Thanks in advance..you guys rock!!!!
Holmes county is the only place in Ohio that I miss. I used to live half way between Cleveland and Akron. We would visit the Amish area once in a while and enjoyed the shopping and beautiful scenery. The weather really got to me after so many years of living in Ohio. I really missed the sun during the gray periods. The precipitation ruined many outdoor plans over the years during spring, summer and fall. Lots of humidity! Winter was a "cabin fever" season for the most part, at least for me since it wasn't my favorite season. I couldn't wait until my retirement to move to Arizona. So, I relocated last year with plenty of years before retirement and I love it here! I love the desert and the sunshine! I don't know where you live in AZ, but I live in a rural area of southern AZ. We have fresh air, lots of space, cows and horses and friendly neighbors. Also, the best star gazing ever! We are cooler than Phoenix, so you can see the change in seasons here. We live about 45 miles from the border and I have yet to see an immigrant cross my property. Although, they are around but they tend to stay away from homes unless they are in an emergency situation. If I had your circumstances I probably wouldn't like living in AZ either. I just wanted to illustrate that AZ has more to offer. I am not an expert but I do believe that flipping a house in AZ is easier since there is a huge influx of people coming in. Also, homes in Ohio increase in value at a much slower pace. Well, just my 2 cents. Congrats on picking one of the most scenic areas of Ohio. If you can work it out that you can still spend winters in AZ, you'll have the best of both worlds.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 PM

12 posts, read 32,155 times
Wooster is about 3 times the size of Orrville. Wooster is abound with shopping and restaurants, good medical and churches, and some entertainment. Orrville has more of a "small town" feel to it. Both cities have Amish nearby. Both cities also have plenty of rural areas. I was born in Orrville and lived in Wooster most of my life. If I was going to start a family I would choose Orrville. If I had a family already, I'd pick Wooster. Both are located within 45 minutes of larger cities with more choices and activities. Summer is hot and humid, winter is cold and gray. If I was you, I'd move to Washington or Oregon. lol

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,686 times
I actually joined this forum for information on where we will be relocating (job promotion) but had to respond to this post. We are located in SW Medina County, in a little town called Chatham Twp. We have no McMansions, as a matter of fact, we don't even have a stop light in our community. We are rural, and everyone here wants to keep it that way. My closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away and their house can only be seen after the leaves have dropped from the trees. We have a farily large Amish population and buggy's down our street is normal. We have community celebrations, including a Memorial Day Pot Luck (some of THE best food ever!), Children's Christmas party and Halloween at the Firehouse. We have one of the top rated school districts in the state and pretty competitive athletic and academic clubs as well. We are within 40-minutes of 2 malls and 1 outlet mall. We have Home Depot & Target within 30 minutes. We have fantastic access to health care and higher education and churches representing many different religions and a few nondenominational. We have easy access to several highways and are close to everything, but don't have to see or hear anything! The people here are very friendly, very accepting and always willing to help without ever having to ask. This just might be the best place you could raise your children and retire. It is a buyers market right now, so you can get a beautiful home with acerage for far below the $500K you mentioned in your post. If you would like any additional information, please email me privately.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:08 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Holmes county is the only place in Ohio that I miss. I used to live half way between Cleveland and Akron. We would visit the Amish area once in a while and enjoyed the shopping and beautiful scenery. The weather really got to me after so many years of living in Ohio. I really missed the sun during the gray periods. The precipitation ruined many outdoor plans over the years during spring, summer and fall. Lots of humidity! Winter was a "cabin fever" season for the most part, at least for me since it wasn't my favorite season. I couldn't wait until my retirement to move to Arizona. So, I relocated last year with plenty of years before retirement and I love it here! I love the desert and the sunshine! I don't know where you live in AZ, but I live in a rural area of southern AZ. We have fresh air, lots of space, cows and horses and friendly neighbors. Also, the best star gazing ever! We are cooler than Phoenix, so you can see the change in seasons here. We live about 45 miles from the border and I have yet to see an immigrant cross my property. Although, they are around but they tend to stay away from homes unless they are in an emergency situation. If I had your circumstances I probably wouldn't like living in AZ either. I just wanted to illustrate that AZ has more to offer. I am not an expert but I do believe that flipping a house in AZ is easier since there is a huge influx of people coming in. Also, homes in Ohio increase in value at a much slower pace. Well, just my 2 cents. Congrats on picking one of the most scenic areas of Ohio. If you can work it out that you can still spend winters in AZ, you'll have the best of both worlds.
Very nice and truthful post as far as Ohio and Amish country (can't comment much on AZ as I have very little personal experience there - LOL!). The area in question (Holmes, Wayne) definitely offer some beautiful countryside; I can't comment too much on business there. I live relatively close to Amish country, having lived in Wayne county for the last 16 years, and right next to Wayne for almost 20. May I ask what area in rural Arizona you're referring to? It sounds pretty nice to me. Again, very nice post. Wishing you the best!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Very nice and truthful post as far as Ohio and Amish country (can't comment much on AZ as I have very little personal experience there - LOL!). The area in question (Holmes, Wayne) definitely offer some beautiful countryside; I can't comment too much on business there. I live relatively close to Amish country, having lived in Wayne county for the last 16 years, and right next to Wayne for almost 20. May I ask what area in rural Arizona you're referring to? It sounds pretty nice to me. Again, very nice post. Wishing you the best!

Thanks! To answer your question, I was referring to Robles Junction area, about 20-25 miles southwest of Tucson near the Quinlan Mountains/Kitt Peak Observatory and Tohono O'odham Nation. Arizona is not for everyone as the OP illustrated. But I do love it here. Prior to moving from Ohio to Arizona I checked out many rural areas in Ohio. Holmes county included. Although, I liked several areas a lot, the biggest drawback was employment. I don't mind a long drive to work but commuting long distances to work during the winter season did not appeal to me at all. Here, I don't have to worry about bad road conditions and commuting into the city of Tucson is a breeze. Best of both worlds, rural living with big city conveniences within 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton