Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times

Advertisements

I lived in Canton in the mid-1960s to 1980. It was a great town to grow up in. Sometimes I think about the stores and places in Canton that are gone, or going away. I thought I'd start a new thread about those places, and maybe long-time Canton citizens could add to it.

Clarkin’s on Rt 62 and Harmont. That place had everything, groceries, clothes, sporting goods, furniture, dry cleaning, pharmacy, and hardware at reasonable prices. It was a Walmart type store before Walmart went in business. They even had a snack shop that my dad and I used to have soft drinks at while mom did the grocery shopping.

The News Depot downtown on Market. They had just about every comic book and magazine that a young kid would want.

The Mellet Mall. I remembered when they opened in the mid-1960s, they had a great Orange Julius there.

There also was a used book store, I believe on McKinley and 6th. Great place to buy used books. I remember they had a closed off area for adult magazines. They were raided several times in the 1960s.

Anyone else have older memories of Canton, please chime in. It could be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I remember Mellet Mall. (is that how it's spelled? I thought it was Mallet, or Malette...) I was still in elementary school when the name was changed. I have fond memories of Christmas shopping there when I was a kid. And, at the time, the food court seemed almost magical with all the decorations.

My family was centered in western Perry Heights, so we almost never ventured further east than the mall. If we went to "the city" for something, we always went to Massillon.

This might have been after you left, but I remember the TV station WOAC 67 with real programming. Mostly, I think they ran old movies and reruns. On Saturday nights, they had "Son of Ghoul" that played horror movies. The host was crazy though. His concept was a spin-off of Cleveland's Ghoulardi. I mostly remember him dropping bowling balls onto broken TVs. Sometine in the 90's they switched to home shopping. Now, I guess they mostly run infomercials.

One last thing I remember that isn't there anymore. There was a drive-in movie theater just west of the KMart on Lincoln Way. It's a giant shopping center / outdoor mall now. The drive-in closed when I was very young, but I do remember going with my aunt and uncle at least once.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
I lived in Canton in the mid-1960s to 1980. It was a great town to grow up in. Sometimes I think about the stores and places in Canton that are gone, or going away. I thought I'd start a new thread about those places, and maybe long-time Canton citizens could add to it.

Clarkin’s on Rt 62 and Harmont. That place had everything, groceries, clothes, sporting goods, furniture, dry cleaning, pharmacy, and hardware at reasonable prices. It was a Walmart type store before Walmart went in business. They even had a snack shop that my dad and I used to have soft drinks at while mom did the grocery shopping.

The News Depot downtown on Market. They had just about every comic book and magazine that a young kid would want.

The Mellet Mall. I remembered when they opened in the mid-1960s, they had a great Orange Julius there.

There also was a used book store, I believe on McKinley and 6th. Great place to buy used books. I remember they had a closed off area for adult magazines. They were raided several times in the 1960s.

Anyone else have older memories of Canton, please chime in. It could be fun.
I loved the News Depot before they moved. It was like walking back in time.

Mellett Mall / Canton Centre was great when it was functional. Smaller than BV ... but I always think it's better to have different locations to shop than one large one.

I don't know if it's the one you're referring to, but isn't the Paperback Mart more or less in that location?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I remember Mellet Mall. (is that how it's spelled? I thought it was Mallet, or Malette...) I was still in elementary school when the name was changed. I have fond memories of Christmas shopping there when I was a kid. And, at the time, the food court seemed almost magical with all the decorations.

My family was centered in western Perry Heights, so we almost never ventured further east than the mall. If we went to "the city" for something, we always went to Massillon.

This might have been after you left, but I remember the TV station WOAC 67 with real programming. Mostly, I think they ran old movies and reruns. On Saturday nights, they had "Son of Ghoul" that played horror movies. The host was crazy though. His concept was a spin-off of Cleveland's Ghoulardi. I mostly remember him dropping bowling balls onto broken TVs. Sometine in the 90's they switched to home shopping. Now, I guess they mostly run infomercials.

One last thing I remember that isn't there anymore. There was a drive-in movie theater just west of the KMart on Lincoln Way. It's a giant shopping center / outdoor mall now. The drive-in closed when I was very young, but I do remember going with my aunt and uncle at least once.
It's Mellett, after Don Mellett.

Channel 67 was great but so low budget. I remember they only had one news anchor, Scott...... I forget. He was good but was definitely not your overdone stereotypical news anchor.

I remember calling in to the Son of Ghoul. Fun stuff.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I loved the News Depot before they moved. It was like walking back in time.

I don't know if it's the one you're referring to, but isn't the Paperback Mart more or less in that location?
Where did the News Depot move to? I think you are right about the Paperback Mart.

I remember Channel 17 WJAN (??) before WOAC 67. They had news, carried high school football and basketball games in the late 1960s early 1970s (I recall). I believe they also had a late night horror host "The Cool Ghoul." Seems as if all the TV stations in NE Ohio had someone like that.

Anyone remember Islays (sp?), it was an ice cream place with a lunch counter. I remember one was on 12th ST near Cleveland Ave.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
It's Mellett, after Don Mellett.

Channel 67 was great but so low budget. I remember they only had one news anchor, Scott...... I forget. He was good but was definitely not your overdone stereotypical news anchor.

I remember calling in to the Son of Ghoul. Fun stuff.
I've always wondered why Canton doesn't have it's own network affiliates w/their antennas centered say midway between Canton & New Philly or something. I mean Youngstown has their own, why not Canton? I can kind of understand Akron since it's 40 miles away, but I could never get the Cleveland channels in clearly using an antenna when I lived in Louisville, and only one of the Youngstown channels would come in clear, always annoyed me.

Speaking of Scott the news anchor, when I was home over Easter flipping through the cable channels, I came across him interviewing McKinley high school teams on the local cable channel! Did a double take it had been so long since I'd seen him! Used to love coming home on a Friday night after watching my high school's football game when I was in middle school, and then watching the game of the week on tape-delay on 67; same w/high school basketball.

I remember when I was really little, going to the drive-in that used to be on US30/Lincoln Way just outside of East Canton near Broadway, by far, drive-ins to me are the best way to watch a movie.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post

I remember when I was really little, going to the drive-in that used to be on US30/Lincoln Way just outside of East Canton near Broadway, by far, drive-ins to me are the best way to watch a movie.
I went to that drive in several times. I remember seeing BULLITT with Steve McQueen there in 1969. Seeing the famous chase scene on the big screen was awesome!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
Where did the News Depot move to? I think you are right about the Paperback Mart.

I remember Channel 17 WJAN (??) before WOAC 67. They had news, carried high school football and basketball games in the late 1960s early 1970s (I recall). I believe they also had a late night horror host "The Cool Ghoul." Seems as if all the TV stations in NE Ohio had someone like that.

Anyone remember Islays (sp?), it was an ice cream place with a lunch counter. I remember one was on 12th ST near Cleveland Ave.
They moved down the street when they rehabbed the block that they used to be on. I haven't been to their new location, but the old block looks very nice now.

Channel 17 has been awful Christian programming for as long as I can remember.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Channel 17 has been awful Christian programming for as long as I can remember.
I think sometime in the mid-1970s, the PTL Club (Jim and Tammy Faye Baker) bought it. The programming changed with that.

I remember the drive in theater on Mahoning Road, somewhere around the Broadway intersection, and another one in Harrisburg on Columbus Road (old Rt 62 as we called it).

Anyone remember the old bar, I think it was the Leprechaun Inn on W. Tusc. I remember they had a lot of rifles hanging on the wall. Is it still in business? It seems there were lots of taverns in Canton, my dad would take me to some of them when I was a kid, he drink a Stroh's and I'd drink a coke.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 15,757 times
Default Does Anyone Know

I was born in Canton and it is wonderful to hear about the places of home.
After thinking about it, I made a list of places that I remember. I think that most are gone, but maybe someone can tell me.

Hawk's Hobby Shop..Market Ave, close to the Palace Theater
Taggart's Ice Cream Shop...Fulton Rd
Canton Garden Center... in the park
Heggy's Candy...across from St. Peter's Church
Mother Goose Land (this is not a joke)...on East Tusc, I think
Weber Dental ..near Crystal Park
Ohio Theater...Market Ave. downtown

And does anyone remember any of this, a lot about shopping, but not all.

Livingston Furniture...Market Ave., close to 6th St
"Coed"..a dance at the YWCA on Friday nights from 6:30 to 9:30pm, open
to all junior high kids
Clarkins, before it was out on Rt 62, when it was an Army/Navy surplus
store downtown
The Jewish Center when it was on Market Ave, close to 18th St.
The Harter Estate on Market Ave, located where the Canton Art Museum
is now. It was a wonderful Victorian mansion and never should have
been torn down.
The Art Museum and Players Guild when it was on Market Ave. in the Case
mansion. That never should have been torn down either. I think
there is an apartment complex there now.
Vicary's
The thick green glass floors of the main library across from City Hall.
The old, old building at Burns School. It should have been torn down.
Anyone from Canton knows this one. The downtown Arcade Market.
The Vogue Hat Shop on Cleveland Ave...owned by two sisters.
Mercy Hospital and its' School of Nursing. Market Ave. and 9th, site of
Wm. McKinley home, now the library.
Stern and Mann's (yessss !)
Aronold's Funeral Home that looked like a white castle, on Market Ave.
Kobacker's, Bon Marche, Polsky's, O'Neil's
Someone help me on this one..there was a place on Market Ave, around
3rd or 4th, on the east side of the street. The front part of the
building was a jewelry (?) store, maybe Zale's, and way in the back
was another room where they sold records, both albums and 45's.
There were little booths that customers could use to listen to the
recordings.
Harry's Nut House on Tusc.
And
The Quonset Hut on Cleveland..Best Hippie shop in the nation.
I am really homesick now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton