Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember a furniture store on the old Whipple in the 1970's? Think it was a two name store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I remember Mellet Mall. (is that how it's spelled? I thought it was Mallet, or Malette...) I was still in elementary school when the name was changed. I have fond memories of Christmas shopping there when I was a kid. And, at the time, the food court seemed almost magical with all the decorations.

My family was centered in western Perry Heights, so we almost never ventured further east than the mall. If we went to "the city" for something, we always went to Massillon.

This might have been after you left, but I remember the TV station WOAC 67 with real programming. Mostly, I think they ran old movies and reruns. On Saturday nights, they had "Son of Ghoul" that played horror movies. The host was crazy though. His concept was a spin-off of Cleveland's Ghoulardi. I mostly remember him dropping bowling balls onto broken TVs. Sometine in the 90's they switched to home shopping. Now, I guess they mostly run infomercials.

One last thing I remember that isn't there anymore. There was a drive-in movie theater just west of the KMart on Lincoln Way. It's a giant shopping center / outdoor mall now. The drive-in closed when I was very young, but I do remember going with my aunt and uncle at least once.
I also grew up in Canton, it was a fun place to live. I have no clue what the hell happened . Imiss the old days so much!!

Old 06-18-2015, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 11,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topohee View Post
Hey Born There--

I remember almost every single thing you mentioned on your post. The Arcade......anyone remember the Fulton Fish Market in the Arcade? Guaranteed, anyone who'd ever been there would never have forgotten the smell!
Also-- Taggarts-- does anyone remember the ritual that went along with Taggarts for some people (including my family)-- you would go there and get some huge sundae and then go a few blocks from it to a free flowing spring to get a drink of fresh spring water?

I was born and grew up in Canton but have lived in the east since 1960. However my youngest who is now 21 chose to go to College of Wooster (not my suggestion but a great school). He's now a junior and taking him out in the fall every year affords my wife and I an opportunity for me to show them (again) all the places I used to frequent. Problem was, I almost did not recognize the place and couldn't find my way around. Barely found my old high school, then called Glenwood. It was great for me but my son and wife were quite bored. Can you imagine that?

Anyway, everytime we go out there (and it has become a family joke), I try to find a place called Roberta's. It was a fast food place, not even in Canton but somewhere, I think between Canton and Massillon. It has haunted me because they had great hot dogs and burgers, but best of all they had thin french fries they fried in oil laced with bacon fat. When served, they topped it with a pat of butter. Literally a myocardial infarction in a square cardboard holder. I imagine Roberta's is long gone, but anyone remember it and where it used to be?
sure I remember robertas! I grew up in Massillon. it was on 1st Street NE, in my neighborhood. I think that meldrums has the French fry recipe and still serves them that way? great place and good times! used to ride my bike there

Old 06-18-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topohee View Post
So, nobody remembers Robertas and what happened to it?
yeah, I remember robertas! I grew up in Massillon in the 60's and 70's. robertas was on 1st street NE, in my neighborhood. I rode my bike there almost every day, weather permitting. something kids today would probably not be able to do. I think that meldrums has the old French fry recipe and still serves it today, but not 100% sure. yes, great place and good times!

Old 06-18-2015, 01:19 PM

has anyone read my response about robertas? I've written it twice but just discovered and got on this site today and not sure if my messages are getting across? might be me but this site is not very user friendly

Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM

for the 3rd time, I grew up in Massillon. robertas was on 1st street NE, in my neighborhood. used to ride my bike there all the time, day and night. I had heard several yrs back that meldrums has the French fry recipe and is still serving it but not 100% sure.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:22 PM

ok I now see that my messages are being received....

Old 09-02-2016, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
I grew up in North Canton, where we shopped a great deal at Hummel's IGA, Nye's Dept. Store, and Davies Drug Store. I used to hang out at Mellett Mall when we'd go to movies, Camelot Music, Walden Books, and Aladdin's Castle arcade. Also Gold Circle Cinema and Funway Freeway on Everhard; Belden Village Mall had great fountains and the Burger King inside the mall was 2 stories!

Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,170,550 times
I havent lived in Canton in about 10 years but grew up there.. I'm craving the 30 piece pizza from Smiths IGA.. Nom Nom Nom

Old 04-18-2018, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,324 times
Default Anyone remember??

Does anyone remember the name of the little restaurant that was on Bedford St. before Aultman added on??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton