Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 PM

7 posts, read 12,974 times

Advertisements

Just a general discussion thread about life on campus and in Tuscaloosa.

I'm a freshman from Houston and know 2 people on campus. So far the food has been most unimpressive, that's been the most dissatisfying experience so far. Longhorn Steakhouse was nice, but the steak was too rare for my order and the chaps on the wall were a bit much. The waitress had a texas accent which took me leaving Texas to finally realize what one was. Salmon was fantastic, chicken was excellent for Alabama standards. Had only one dish on campus which was excellent, a beef brisket at the Fresh Food thing in the Ferg.
I'm disappointed in the Rec center, my 24 hour fitness in Houston was far superior in the weightlifting area.
And since it was crowded before students even arrived on campus, I'm sure it will be so crowded during school as to be unusable.

Really disgruntled with the internet in my dorm, but people I complain to in my tech communities say I should stop whining and go out and meet people. Crazy, right!

I'll update with new impressions in a time, if I get too frustrated at comparing a township of 100k to a Metroplex like Houston (population of 3 million and 20 million illegals) I might just turn this into a rant blog. Hopefully not!

Looking for whatever you want to say, especially what seasoned students have to say about this place, especially those from large cities with a fine appreciation of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,433,432 times
Wolfgang,
I believe they've been doing WOW which is lots of group volunteer activities in small groups so that you get to know other students. Maybe you can still get involved in that.

If not, Get On Board Day will take place in the next few days. That's a big sort of "fair" where all the campus organizations show what they do and sign you up.

You can visit the campus student religious center of your choice.

You can sign up for fraternity recruitment.

You can go to wherever you're eating, find a table of students, ask if you can join them, and make some conversation.

Really, all you have to do is get OFF THE COMPUTER, put a pleasant expression on your face and get out of your dorm and onto campus - the Quad, the Ferg, the Strip, the food centers, your dorm hall. The place is filled with young people ready to meet new people and make friends.

But if you're going to be on this board every night, whining, I will give you no sympathy. I may come down there and grab your ear and yank you out of your room myself!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
I agree with who you refer to as the crazy people in your worlds and have something to add - learn to cook!
One thing puzzles me - what made you decided on UofA?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:21 PM

150 posts, read 467,906 times
Coming from a big city like that, you've got to realize that the internet hasn't really "caught on" in Alabama like it has in more populous regions. People simply don't use it much around here. When I lived in a major metro I could find info on most local events online and people were very active in social networking and taking part in online communities and such. It was easy to find groups of people with similar interests and events that catered to my tastes. Down here, not so much. People seem to be more interested in face to face interaction and many if not most activities seem to center around church or sports. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:24 PM

309 posts, read 718,486 times
There's not much that can be done about the Rec Center. It was designed and expanded before President Witt even came here and increased the student enrollment by 50%. If you go during off-peak hours, you'll have plenty of space to work out.

As for everything else, you had to expect some difference between a city like Houston and Tuscaloosa. You'll have the rest of your life to live in big cities if you want. Besides, as a student (without a car, I presume), most of your life will revolve around campus and it environs, and it's pretty big campus.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

138 posts, read 254,623 times
Quote:
Coming from a big city like that, you've got to realize that the internet hasn't really "caught on" in Alabama like it has in more populous regions. People simply don't use it much around here.
I'm having a hard time responding to this comment. No offense Rambler, but how old are you?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
Coming from a big city like that, you've got to realize that the internet hasn't really "caught on" in Alabama like it has in more populous regions. People simply don't use it much around here. When I lived in a major metro I could find info on most local events online and people were very active in social networking and taking part in online communities and such. It was easy to find groups of people with similar interests and events that catered to my tastes. Down here, not so much. People seem to be more interested in face to face interaction and many if not most activities seem to center around church or sports. Best of luck to you.
You may not be familiar with some of the IT industry in the area, the education level of residents and the area in general.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyj42 View Post
I'm having a hard time responding to this comment. No offense Rambler, but how old are you?
I thought that was a strange comment as well.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:01 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
Coming from a big city like that, you've got to realize that the internet hasn't really "caught on" in Alabama like it has in more populous regions.
Other people are being nice and tip toeing around it. I'll just say that this is totally absurd. I guess if you only hang out with senior citizens or poor people in rural areas, but amongst college aged people, teenagers on through people in their 40s-60s the internet is very much an integral part of the typical Alabamians life.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM

150 posts, read 467,906 times
Well I'll at least attempt to defend the flaming attacks by clarifying my remarks. I simply meant that it hadn't caught on as much around here as it has in larger metros. I'm not claiming that no one uses it, just that it isn't quite as widespread and integral to people's lives in my experience and observations as it seems to be in other regions in which I've lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama