Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times

Advertisements

You should be proud CPG what a great reply for a 14 yo. I am pretty sure the reason she could go though was you sold the tires off all those old cars in your yard..

I have to agree when I watched about 2 minutes of it I also thought, oh great just what we need to make AL proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
One of them isn't even from Alabama, she's from NYC! A "Bama belle" from New Yawk. LMAO

Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM

12 posts, read 33,355 times
My wife and I have watched the two episodes so far....and are watching it just to see what sorts of things we...more like I should have been doing since I grew up in the country near Selma. Apparently I should have been bow hunting with women that wore lipstick, boutique camo, and race lawn mowers back 20 years ago. Then I would have been right in the group that apparently makes up the southern people.

Some of the stupid things they are showing on this program are just that...rather stupid. In my opinion it is nothing like the Alabama I grew up in nor is it like the one that I live and play in now.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,616 times
Maybe I am naive or haven't lived in the right places, but I have never heard of lawn mower racing!! I grew up in Columbus, GA and have lived in GA and AL and some of these things are a revelation to me! Now I could understand riding horses but so far that is not what I see. After 2 episodes, I will not be watching anymore.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Lawnmower racing is... well I wouldn't say "popular" but it's common enough that they didn't contrive it just for this show.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:56 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
We did a lawnmower race in Decatur for a few years, as a fund-raiser from one of the local civic clubs.
We envisioned some of the local homeowners taking the blades off their riding lawnmowers and coming out to have a little yuppie fun. The reality is, the guys who do this can't afford a junker car to soup up for the local dirt track, so they tinker with lawnmowers. It is WAY more redneck than NASCAR, or even the local dirt track.
It just didn't exactly do what we thought it would...it did raise some money for a few years, but it's too specialized to draw much of a crowd.
And women were notably absent from this crowd, except to cheer on a husband/brother/dad/son.

We did have a local guy place in the national competition a few years though.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,604,464 times
Just keep this show in mind when you watch all other TV shows. Movies and shows work off stereotypes in general; it makes storytelling easy. This is not restricted to shows about the south.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Lawnmower racing does happen around here, I just met a father and son a few days ago that were "building" an old Craftsman together. They seemed like they were having a good time with it, so I guess it's all good.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,325 times
It is truly horrible, even worse than "Sweet Home, Alabama." It's too bad somebody can't do something that shows the real people who live here...from the rednecks to the people who support the ballet, opera and theatre that we have here in relative abundance?
You're right about the whole series. The scrape around the bottom of barrels to find women stupid and shallow enough to be counted upon to turn the air blue whenever they speak, have trashy fights and spend money on garbage...in short, a gang of narcissists.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:58 AM

270 posts, read 504,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaversouth View Post
It is truly horrible, even worse than "Sweet Home, Alabama." It's too bad somebody can't do something that shows the real people who live here...from the rednecks to the people who support the ballet, opera and theatre that we have here in relative abundance?
You're right about the whole series. The scrape around the bottom of barrels to find women stupid and shallow enough to be counted upon to turn the air blue whenever they speak, have trashy fights and spend money on garbage...in short, a gang of narcissists.
I think they should do a show about Mobile or one of the more sophisticated cities in Alabama. I bet they wouldn't just love to hear about the engineer families who live in nerdy Huntsville, or the culturally forward college students of Mobile. How about the one who plays Juliet in the Alabama Shakespheare festival? XYZ is going to show us some original native dances in the international talent show! That's a real indian chief? My mom's side of the family and some of my friends are stereotypical redneck enough, though. Maybe one of us should enter and shock 'em. Well, perhaps they would be shocked, but given the spin they put on everything, I wonder if I would live it down .

Last edited by surburbangirlie; 12-20-2010 at 07:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama