Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times

Advertisements

The one thing I have learned about living here are the stereotypes from years ago are still around today no matter if they are true. Some folks here still believe it is OK to tie up a dog, throw them out of cars or kill them when they are no longer wanted. Thank goodness there are people now who do not believe that way. Who would have thought they would go 'wet' after all these years of prohibition.

There are counties where whites are in the minority. I suggest to the OP she come for a visit to get a vibe for the city and the area.

I love living in this area for many reasons. Men tip their hats to women, most kids here are very polite saying 'yes and no mam' and stopping while funerals pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I hope it is different today. I'm just telling you my friends feelings towards Cullman. I've heard it from others as well. Whether real or imagined, Cullman has a reputation even in AL as being hostile to AA.

Reactionary, I think it probably does show some improvement that Cullman that they elected James Fields. However, he was the first AA to ever even run for office in Cullman County. Cullman Co has 81,000 residents and only 401 AA. That figure in and of itself is telling when you are talking about a county that is part of the Birmingham CSA. I read that article about Fields in the NY Times, it is an interesting read.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/ma...pagewanted=all
Your friend may have not driven through Cullman - much less stopped - in years. Things do change.
As far as the lower percentage of AA to whites, the area never had that many AAs to begin with. Back in the 1800s, the area was not farmed that much for cotton because a good bit of it is hilly (cotton being the reason slaves were needed and imported). Cullman itself was not established until well after the Civil War ended. Many of its earliest settlers were from Ohio and Germany.
Cullman County Museum in Cullman, Alabama - History of Cullman and the Museum
Cullman.Com Community
History - City of Cullman

Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,721 times
Thanks for the info. I was on the Cullman school site and it looks like a good system. Thanks for the reply!
Any additional comments welcome.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 AM

231 posts, read 595,671 times
Default Cullman area

I don't know what your are accustomed to. Cullman is a typical small southern town. It's nice, but not an interesting place. The violent crime rate is low--the murder rate is practically nonexistent. The school are better than average for Alabama. If you are interested in a nice, safe place to raise a family, this is it. If you're looking for trendy places to eat, Museums, shopping and Night Clubs best look elsewhere.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 13,175 times
Cullman named among top communities in Alabama » Top News » CullmanTimes.com - Cullman, Alabama

Sara Evans is hosting a music festival this summer; pretty good lineup for country music fans. As most of you know, Hank Jr. lived in Cullman during the 80's, and he'll be returning to perform in the festival.

Rock The South | June 21-22, 2013 | Heritage Park, Cullman, Alabama

Logan's opened last year, Moe's Southern BBQ will open this year. New businesses are still springing up around Wal-Mart. Many of the tornado damaged homes around historic downtwon have been rebuilt/remodeled and Cullman is getting better than ever! They are also about to begin work a new high school.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 13,175 times
New Cullman High School revealed » Top News » CullmanTimes.com - Cullman, Alabama

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
It's a large county so depending on where you are, it's somewhat close to Birmingham as well.
Not just somewhat close as it is considered part of Greater Birmingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I don't know much about Cullman, however my good friend who is black, says he wouldn't even drive through that town. It has a long history of klan activity. The town is around 14,000, but has 0.9% black. This is in Alabama, a state that is almost 30% black. I have only driven through, but it is the only thing I know about the town and it is a pretty well known fact that it was an official "sundown town" until recently, maybe unofficially one now.
Yeah I heard that growing up too and my dad told me stories about it as he grew up in Hanceville and Warrior. That's why my only experience with it is with 65 as I'd drive straight on through it.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngal2108 View Post
Logan's opened last year, Moe's Southern BBQ will open this year. New businesses are still springing up around Wal-Mart. Many of the tornado damaged homes around historic downtwon have been rebuilt/remodeled and Cullman is getting better than ever! They are also about to begin work a new high school.
Also a new Shogun Japanese steak house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Not just somewhat close as it is considered part of Greater Birmingham.
About 50 miles away...you could go to B'ham for dinner and a theater performance and drive home.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 AM

842 posts, read 827,357 times
We live midway between Cullman and Birmingham in Southwestern Blount County (in a beautiful area called Smoke Rise) and often go to Cullman rather than Birmingham when we want to see a movie and have a quick dinner. Of course, this is somewhat determined by the lack of any movie theaters on the north side of Birmingham, but Cullman is also a quiet, safe place to go. It's also a good point between Birmingham and Huntsville-Decatur, so that can keep job opportunities open.

Cullman has a nice downtown area, although it has kind of a stark appearance. I think it's the lack of trees. It doesn't have the charm of the downtowns of many southern towns of a similar size.

Cullman is very close to beautiful outdoor areas, such as the mountains of NE Alabama, Smith Lake, and the Bankhead National Forest (amazing!!). The city also opened a beautiful public aquatics center a couple of years ago which the whole family will enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama