Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times

Advertisements

This subject got started on another thread so I though maybe other's would like to put in your 2 cents.

I started on city-data after moving back to AL. I worked doing computer support and I missed helping people. This was a perfect way for me to help other people asking questions about living in AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 PM

360 posts, read 1,533,318 times
We are relocating to the Huntsville area from San Diego and have found it difficult and time-consuming trying to research the various neighborhoods and suburbs/towns there. A lot of the online real estate tools like mapquest aerial maps, Zillow (crude IMO, but it's a start), ziprealty, etc. have sketchy or no info on properties in this area. We have visited several times, but with us both working full-time, a lot has to be done online from here. This forum has been a godsend for me in getting REAL people's perspectives, not just the chamber of commerce view being promoted in literature. Thank you to all of the locals for participating... I visit this site almost every day because it has been so great. I hope to follow in Zenjenn's footsteps soon!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Because I am moving to Ardmore Al. this week. Hope to be there on Thursday. Will be working in Huntsville. We have a house we are going to rent for now. Will decide where we want to buy after living in the area for awhile. Been there several times in the last 2 months and like the area. My wife and I ride motorcycles so Al and Tn are a great place for that.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:26 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,656 times
99% of us here are trying to help others....no other motivation...

Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM

69 posts, read 254,165 times
Default I'm on City-Date Alabama Because:

I live in the North Mid-west of the country and don't like it much. My mother was born and raised in NE AL. My father was born and raised in NE TN. I've spent much time over 60 years in both places, and each are better than here.

Alabama is so friendly. People there are kind, helpful, and easy going. What's not to like? The sweetest people in this country live in AL. All of my relatives go out of their way to help their neighbors and strangers too. Alabamans have such a great attitude and they are not jaded and angry.

If you're good to people in Alabama, you can be sure that they will be good to you.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM

207 posts, read 687,930 times
We fell in love with AL when we visited last year.....Huntsville area. Fortunately hubby was offered a engineering position in Decatur. We jumped at the chance. However, we knew very little about the entire area and this fourm has been a wonderful source of info. I was thrilled I found it!

Everyone has been so warm and kind here, and I continue to learn from all of you. I do think this board is one of the best on the entire citi data fourms.

I thank you all for all the help and support....you're very specail to me. This is the first time I've felt at home since we left CA.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:45 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,881 times
We have been trying to find a place that both of us like. We've been driving around and getting an idea of the roads but that doesn't really tell us about the people. So here I am, to see what I can learn.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Since I've lived here almost all my life, I find it very interesting to see how Alabama is viewed by other folks. It's fun, and I enjoy writing (did almost 30 years of writing for pay, so this is fun). It's the most fun when you read some really off-the-wall questions and opinions!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Don't talk about me like that Southlander

I agree it is amazing how different people view the same place. It still amazes me how some people think everyone in AL are still fighting the Civil War. If you read other forum especially those in the NE states you would be amazed.

I love this forum because the people are so informative and caring.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:41 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Good morning Keeper! Smooth talker today:>)

As much and with as little notice as we moved during the last 25 years - we were lucky. Somehow found the right neighborhoods, met the right people and always did our best to explore our new little worlds with an open mind.

This is the age of real time access to the world - how do these stigmas, these preconceived opinions based on hearsay, TV/Hollywood manage not only to survive but to thrive? A bit scary.

If we help just one newcomer to have an easier start we will have done well.

Share what you know, share your perception of what you know and remember there are living breathing beings behind their internet identity which may not always share our personal opinons and views but whose feelings deserve our respect or at least our good manners.

OK Keeper I get my hands slapped occasionally:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama