Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Most people in AL and MS believe in minding their own business with strangers. Live and let live. You do your thing, I do mine. I don't know what Comedy Central thought, that people would start beating them up or something?

The parameters for discussion are all messed up though. They talk about "gay marriage" as something that can be legalized or outlawed. To ask the question, "do you believe that gay marriage should be legal?" implies that "gay marriage" exists. The question is not whether something should be legal or illegal. The question is, who gets to define marriage? Does government get to define marriage, or someone or something else?

I don't understand why so many people in this country think that government has the authority to define such an important human institution as marriage. I don't understand why so many people think that government is even competent enough to do such a thing.
Ok, I guess I knew this was inevitable. It honestly wasn't my purpose to get into general issues. But I have to say this.

Currently marriage already is government defined. Its a legal definition. Taxes, immigration, inheritance an other financial issues, benefits, and a million other issues are tied to legal marriage. for those that have a problem with the name marriage as a non-governmental thing... its too late. I'd have no problem if all legal definitions of union were called civil union, an the definition of what constitutes a marriage is left up to non-governmental institutions. But its too late for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yes like Duck Dynasty and killing God's personally made creatures out of pure sport! Morals yay!

I'm glad to see nothing happened, but strange to see them film in 5 points and not smaller towns.
Duck Dynasty is set in your state of Louisiana.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I do and I do. Love the show. Nothing moral about it.
Yes, it is. The family prays and show their christian beliefs everyday. There is nothing wrong with killing wild animals if you eat them. Also, people in other parts of the country have no idea what the South is really like. Many believe we walk around in cammo all the time, chew, spit, curse, and hate everyone different from ourselves. In reality we are usually very tolerant of differences in others. We believe in living our lives without interference and letting others do the same.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Ok, I guess I knew this was inevitable. It honestly wasn't my purpose to get into general issues. But I have to say this.

Currently marriage already is government defined. Its a legal definition. Taxes, immigration, inheritance an other financial issues, benefits, and a million other issues are tied to legal marriage. for those that have a problem with the name marriage as a non-governmental thing... its too late. I'd have no problem if all legal definitions of union were called civil union, an the definition of what constitutes a marriage is left up to non-governmental institutions. But its too late for that.
I'm with you on this.

Look, here's the deal. When it comes to government, I'm pretty conservative. I'm all about limiting the powers of government whenever and wherever possible.

So I'm really trying to understand how so-called conservatives will be outraged about the expansion of government into areas such as healthcare, gun control, and a host of other arenas, yet are perfectly willing to use government to interfere in the most personal decision two people can make. I've yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for this. In fact, unless we're talking about a minor, I'm hard-pressed to understand why government should be in the marriage business at all.

I just don't care if two guys or two women want to be married. It's simply not my business. So why is it yours?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Because being gay makes one a minority, thus a class protected by the government.
I do not think this to be true. Which is why gays are fighting for (more) rights. They are not yet a protected class

Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I do not think this to be true. Which is why gays are fighting for (more) rights. They are not yet a protected class
Supreme Court Declares Gays a Protected Class

Old 11-05-2013, 12:12 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Yes, it is. The family prays and show their christian beliefs everyday. There is nothing wrong with killing wild animals if you eat them. Also, people in other parts of the country have no idea what the South is really like. Many believe we walk around in cammo all the time, chew, spit, curse, and hate everyone different from ourselves. In reality we are usually very tolerant of differences in others. We believe in living our lives without interference and letting others do the same.
This may be true but it certainly doesn't stop said southerners from talking behind their backs about how much they don't like or disagree with their "sinful act".

Southern hospitality at it's finest.

FWIW, not everyone is like this.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Oh.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:04 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Couldn't the lack of negative reactions also be because of the fact that Southerners (at least good Southerners) are simply too polite to be openly hostile to strangers? I don't mean to imply that the South is bigoted (I was born and raised in Memphis--I love the South), but I'm also familiar with proper Southern manners and it seems like the people in the video were just doing what was polite, regardless of whether they were bigots or not.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm with you on this.

Look, here's the deal. When it comes to government, I'm pretty conservative. I'm all about limiting the powers of government whenever and wherever possible.

So I'm really trying to understand how so-called conservatives will be outraged about the expansion of government into areas such as healthcare, gun control, and a host of other arenas, yet are perfectly willing to use government to interfere in the most personal decision two people can make. I've yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for this. In fact, unless we're talking about a minor, I'm hard-pressed to understand why government should be in the marriage business at all.

I just don't care if two guys or two women want to be married. It's simply not my business. So why is it yours?
In the South fiscal conservatism takes a backseat to social conservatism, all in the name of religion (even though many of these people never attend church). I just hope that nutcase Dean Young doesn't get elected to congress, our state gets laughed at enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama