Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:10 PM

252 posts, read 349,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
This will ruffle feathers, but it's true: The vast majority of crime in Montgomery is committed by african americans, whom make up around 60% of the population.
Magic Mick

I am talking about Montgomery because I am interested in different places. Obviously you are too, if you have looked at other forums on here as you implied in your previous post. I allso used to live in Huntsville.

Some people would say you aren't progressive, based on your statement above. That is my point, what you consider progressive may be subjective. I'm not against downtown revitalzization and some has occured in Montgomery. It looks like a decent downtown for a smaller city. But there is no reason a a city must have a 'vibrant' downtown area and it doens't make people simple if they prefer to hang out at local places rather than drive 15 minutes longer to go to thte historic downtown area. It a lot of ways cities have started to subsidize the businesses that locate in downtown areas, which isn't really fair to the businesses outside of the downtown area.

A lot of cities get stuck on revitalizing their historic downtown area instead of being open minded to developing a new 'downtown' area closer to the growth in town. My hometown has no doubt squandered millions trying to get the downtown area going and it is still on life support.

I stand by my observation that Montgomery has a lot of local places that I have not heard of and I believe it has more than enough good local places and well as chains restaurants to satisfy most people's palates, simple or complex people alike.

I don't think anybody in Montgomery is opposiing good local restaurants or retail stores.

Last edited by Gamecock Student; 04-19-2015 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Hope you're not studying to go into law, lobbying, or any profession requiring debate. Wouldn't be very good.

K, but that does nothing to attack the accuracy of the ratio. Montgomery, like many cities with bland commercial culture, has 90-odd% chain and big box merchants and 10-odd% locally grown businesses.

Absolutely not. This is a strawman and was never put forward in my post. My position concerns ratios, not comments on quality.

Provincial and entrenched attitudes towards city progress are subjective to the respondent, but become objective data in an audit of public opinion regarding city progress. The words themselves have black letter meaning which accurately reflect the prevailing attitude of the majority of Montogmerians.

You're really making my point here. They are satisfied with the chain businesses down the street or staying at home and do not care about revitalizing and patronizing a derelict downtown. Now obviously a lot of people in Montgomery do support the downtown changes, but most remain indifferent to it.

Laughably false. Just browse different city's forums.

Ok?

Then get out more

You're rhetorical abilities are not very good, but I'm more intrigued that you -- a Greenville, SC native with no ties to Montgomery -- are choosing to argue with a born and bred local.
I disagreed with every post this guy ever made about every SEC school he talked about but maybe its just how I see the world compared to everyone else. I do not think he knows what the heck he is talking but it sure is fun to let people ramble on here.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM

I didn't realize that I had talked about every SEC school on here. Don't care about SEC schools in general, outside of SC.

An opinion about the beauty of a campus vs another one can't be wrong.

For some reaosn you start rambling on about LSU football games on the auburn-alabama thread, about how friendly the LSU people are, and such. lol But I am rambling.

The guy who calls other people in Montgomery 'simple' is probably a racist, based on his statement above. I found that amusing, at least.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
I didn't realize that I had talked about every SEC school on here. Don't care about SEC schools in general, outside of SC.

An opinion about the beauty of a campus vs another one can't be wrong.

For some reaosn you start rambling on about LSU football games on the auburn-alabama thread, about how friendly the LSU people are, and such. lol But I am rambling.
I dont agree with any of your posts but I respect your opinion. Everyone has a right to express their views enough said.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I dont agree with any of your posts but I respect your opinion. Everyone has a right to express their views enough said.
Thank you for validating my freedom of speech.

You respect me so much that you took the time to ridicule me and not even post on the topic.

But if you start talking about LSU football games on a thread about Auburn vs Bama, you are probably the one with a 'rambling' problem.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 PM

106 posts, read 162,038 times
Quote:
Magic Mick
Answer us this, how much time have you spent in Montgomery, Alabama? When and where did you go? And do not lie . . .

Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Default food in the GUMP

Quote:
I looked on Montgomery's tourist website and there are numerous restaurants there that I have never heard of. So it isn't 90 percent chain unless you counting every instance of a MCdonalds type fast food place.
You haven't heard of those restaurants because they are: (1) one off, local restaurants or (2) Food you'd never eat again unless trapped in Montgomery.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
You haven't heard of those restaurants because they are: (1) one off, local restaurants or (2) Food you'd never eat again unless trapped in Montgomery.

Pretty sure Montgomery has plenty of decent restaurants, local and chain, for a city its size.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Answer us this, how much time have you spent in Montgomery, Alabama? When and where did you go? And do not lie . . .
I stayed in hotel there one night. I don't think I ever said that I had spent any time there.

You said that people there are unsophisicated, simple because in your view they don't care about the downtown area. All I did is disagree with your definition of simple and unsophisticated. A lot of people don't care that much about downtown urbanization. It is ok if you do.

Montomgery downtown area doesn't look that bad on Google street view.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Pretty sure Montgomery has plenty of decent restaurants, local and chain, for a city its size.
Name them besides:
City Grill
Central
Michaels Table
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama