Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 06:42 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times

Advertisements

It depends on what you call worst. I went through Alabama years ago.

I'd say Alabama is the #1 best state even though I don't live there.

They have integrity and honor the life of the unborn.

There is more to "best" than having fancy buildings, upscale neighborhoods, uppity neighbors, high falutin' politicians, though I am sure Alabama has plenty of these too.

Above it all, they have blazed a trail for other states.

God bless Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 09:40 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
It depends on what you call worst. I went through Alabama years ago.

I'd say Alabama is the #1 best state even though I don't live there.

They have integrity and honor the life of the unborn.

There is more to "best" than having fancy buildings, upscale neighborhoods, uppity neighbors, high falutin' politicians, though I am sure Alabama has plenty of these too.

Above it all, they have blazed a trail for other states.

God bless Alabama.
lol, you've never lived in Alabama but just driving through you think it's the best state?

Old 09-08-2019, 01:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
lol, you've never lived in Alabama but just driving through you think it's the best state?
No different from those who've driven through and conjured the idea that it's the worst.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:17 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
No different from those who've driven through and conjured the idea that it's the worst.
Thats good,+++++++

Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I stopped in at some businesses, restaurants. Friendly people. I daresay those labeling it at the bottom have never been there at all.

I stand by my statement.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:55 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times
Quote:
I stopped in at some businesses, restaurants. Friendly people. I daresay those labeling it at the bottom have never been there at all.

I stand by my statement.
I can agree with you 100% and I live in rural Alabama (And I don't dump raw sewage and never seen anyone do it)

Old 09-08-2019, 06:44 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:

I stand by my statement.
I'm not sure what you're arguing here. There's nothing about the study that talked about how friendly or welcoming the people are. It's an economic/cultural study based on % numbers of how economically viable the state is.

If a survey was to only base their questions on friendliness, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina and heck, most of the south would all be the top states.

I have two friends in different parts of Alabama (Alabaster and Auburn) - I have enjoyed my visits there and would rank it higher than Mississippi as well. I have another friend who grew up around Dothan and lived in Montgomery for awhile and I've heard from 2 of the 3 people I know that Montgomery is kinda struggling with high crime and economic setbacks - and if the base were to close there that might spell doom. However, I have also heard that Huntsville is a booming town with stronger economic growth (presumably via NASA? - I'm sure others who know more will chime in) so perhaps they're canceling each other out.

I was looking at taking a job in either Montgomery or Alexandria, LA and after looking at the crime maps and newspapers for both areas, I took myself out of the running. Had the job been in Huntsville, I probably would have taken it.

Louisiana is most definitely the worst state in the country economically. In terms of friendliness, Connecticut wins as the worst to me.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 AM

141 posts, read 178,745 times
Traveling through or visiting, even for a week, cannot give you a true understanding of any community. We moved to Dothan in 2013 after having visited my In-Laws for more than a decade and I had no idea what the community was really like. I thought I did but was I way off as can ascertained by my username. On the flip side of that coin you will seldom find two people who have the exact same perception of the same area, event or time. Metrics measuring things such as crime, education, economics, etc. are hard data though and not a matter of perception. We struggle in far too many areas and it is beyond time that our citizens and our leadership take off the blinders, admit our shortcomings and roll up our sleeves to change the future and turn those numbers around.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:22 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
Traveling through or visiting, even for a week, cannot give you a true understanding of any community. We moved to Dothan in 2013 after having visited my In-Laws for more than a decade and I had no idea what the community was really like. I thought I did but was I way off as can ascertained by my username. On the flip side of that coin you will seldom find two people who have the exact same perception of the same area, event or time. Metrics measuring things such as crime, education, economics, etc. are hard data though and not a matter of perception. We struggle in far too many areas and it is beyond time that our citizens and our leadership take off the blinders, admit our shortcomings and roll up our sleeves to change the future and turn those numbers around.
Alabamaians have to stop reflecting the same like minded individuals over and over again.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:41 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Everyone also has to do more research and quit depending on just one study when looking where to live. My son was north of Birmingham - nice area but I'd hear a lot about the crime in Birmingham and was happy a couple of sheriffs lived in his complex. They patrolled and lived there for free. Then he moved north of Montgomery - newer development and I consider it a lot safer.

These crime data bases all have so many different ways of reporting things. I was taken a back by the numbers and how the various cities ranked. Then I looked up the township we live in and found our own ranking was similar to many of the areas in Alabama we considered settling in. My town has it's own police force and for the most part - traffic stops are the biggest thing they deal with - we did have a murder a few weeks ago - they happen maybe once every 10 yrs and it's usually a domestic. Certain areas of certain cities in every state are going to be problematic when it comes to crime but most areas aren't as bad as these reports make it seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama