Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 03:31 PM

107 posts, read 104,724 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to be closer to family along the coast. We lived in Baton Rouge before and lost a home to flooding and had the yearly hurricane threats, outages, and damages.

We won't be doing that again. Between Hattiesburg Ms and Semmes Al (or surrounding area), what are the pros and cons of each. We live in a rural neighborhood in Canton, Ga. The congestion and traffic has become too much in the past couple of years. Rush hour traffic shouldn't mean 2-3 light changes to move.

1/2 to acre lots, safe neighborhood, not to far from grocery or restaurants (wife loves sushi).
Walking parks or able to walk or ride bikes in the neighborhood would be great.

Retiring in 6 years, so stability is a priority.

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 06:40 PM

154 posts, read 150,300 times
Easily Semmes. Not much is happening for Hattisburg in general. Really the only pro that I can think of Hattisburg is that its gonna be cheaper. Crime is much higher in Hattisburg than Semmes and surround suburbs. Not much of Semmes is walkable (nearby Saraland is) but Semmes is minutes away from Langan Park and University of South Alabama both are also getting massive biking infrastructure upgrades right now.
I would recommend maybe going for a place North of Highway 158, on Lott Rd, or on MCcary road in Semmes. These areas are not walkable but they do offer larger lots than most suburbia. Lott Rd will be getting a new interchange on Highway 158 so you'll have easy access to rest of Mobile County (just 15 minutes away from Downtown Mobile where you'll find the most walkability and biking around and 5 minutes from Saraland's new massive commercial area on Highway 158 where traffic is much more manageable and will have everything you need including Publix, several pharmacies, several restaurants, a new hospital, mechanics etc etc (all less than 10 years old btw)).

Walmart Supercenter is also on the West Side of the notorious Current 98/Schillinger Intersection in Semmes, living on Mccary Rd or Lott Road and North (or west) will place you on the west side of the city meaning you can get to Walmart without dealing with the intersection

Side Note: Mobile metro is home to better HealthCare. Mobile metro is home to 6 Major Hospitals, including a Level I Trauma Center (rest are level III). Hattisburg only has 1 major hospital and is only a Level II Trauma Center

Last edited by BelleFontaineMan; 12-04-2021 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-05-2021, 06:50 AM

107 posts, read 104,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleFontaineMan View Post
Easily Semmes. Not much is happening for Hattisburg in general. Really the only pro that I can think of Hattisburg is that its gonna be cheaper. Crime is much higher in Hattisburg than Semmes and surround suburbs. Not much of Semmes is walkable (nearby Saraland is) but Semmes is minutes away from Langan Park and University of South Alabama both are also getting massive biking infrastructure upgrades right now.
I would recommend maybe going for a place North of Highway 158, on Lott Rd, or on MCcary road in Semmes. These areas are not walkable but they do offer larger lots than most suburbia. Lott Rd will be getting a new interchange on Highway 158 so you'll have easy access to rest of Mobile County (just 15 minutes away from Downtown Mobile where you'll find the most walkability and biking around and 5 minutes from Saraland's new massive commercial area on Highway 158 where traffic is much more manageable and will have everything you need including Publix, several pharmacies, several restaurants, a new hospital, mechanics etc etc (all less than 10 years old btw)).

Walmart Supercenter is also on the West Side of the notorious Current 98/Schillinger Intersection in Semmes, living on Mccary Rd or Lott Road and North (or west) will place you on the west side of the city meaning you can get to Walmart without dealing with the intersection

Side Note: Mobile metro is home to better HealthCare. Mobile metro is home to 6 Major Hospitals, including a Level I Trauma Center (rest are level III). Hattisburg only has 1 major hospital and is only a Level II Trauma Center
Thank you. I was told that Hattiesburg suburbs didn't have much crime. I'll look into that more.
What about hurricane damage? How does Semmes fair? I don't know the area ar all, so I will look at those locations you mentioned.
I really appreciate the advice and info. I also wasn't aware of the number of hospitals. Mother in law has a pacemaker.
What about traffic into/out of Mobile? Is it just morning and evening rush hours? Or just avoid Mobile if we can? Doctor visits are a concern, and my wife doesn't drive on interstates or big highways.
Again, thank you.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:05 AM

842 posts, read 826,766 times
Well, Semmes is only about 30 miles inland, so there is certainly a risk of hurricane threats and wind damage. That would be lower in Hattiesburg, which is about 70 miles inland.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga2Ms View Post
Thank you. I was told that Hattiesburg suburbs didn't have much crime. I'll look into that more.
What about hurricane damage? How does Semmes fair? I don't know the area ar all, so I will look at those locations you mentioned.
I really appreciate the advice and info. I also wasn't aware of the number of hospitals. Mother in law has a pacemaker.
What about traffic into/out of Mobile? Is it just morning and evening rush hours? Or just avoid Mobile if we can? Doctor visits are a concern, and my wife doesn't drive on interstates or big highways.
Again, thank you.
You'll be fine when it comes to Hurricanes, storm surge is impossible for the city, Flooding is also very unlikely since the city rests on top of a large hill. Wind damage from a category 3 and below are no different than you'll find from cold fronts. Category 4s and 5s are INCREDIBLY rare to happen for the area.

As for Infrastructure (outside the interstate system), Its just Morning and Even rush hours really. The closest Major Hospital for you is gonna be Providence Hospital in West Mobile on Airport Blvd. The other 2 big name hospitals (USA Hospital and Mobile Infirmary) are a little farther in Midtown Mobile, (USA being the Level I Trauma Center). They are both straight shots from Current 98 tho, not sure of the traffic within Mobile on 98, just know that the Semmes area (98/Schillingers) seems to be chokepoint for the highway, so I imagine the rest of 98 shouldn't be as bad

Old 12-05-2021, 10:40 AM

225 posts, read 178,580 times
I would assert that the cultures are dissimilar in many ways, but not a dichotomy. Semmes would be my first choice however.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
You'll be fine when it comes to Hurricanes, storm surge is impossible for the city, Flooding is also very unlikely since the city rests on top of a large hill. Wind damage from a category 3 and below are no different than you'll find from cold fronts. Category 4s and 5s are INCREDIBLY rare to happen for the area.

As for Infrastructure (outside the interstate system), Its just Morning and Even rush hours really. The closest Major Hospital for you is gonna be Providence Hospital in West Mobile on Airport Blvd. The other 2 big name hospitals (USA Hospital and Mobile Infirmary) are a little farther in Midtown Mobile, (USA being the Level I Trauma Center). They are both straight shots from Current 98 tho, not sure of the traffic within Mobile on 98, just know that the Semmes area (98/Schillingers) seems to be chokepoint for the highway, so I imagine the rest of 98 shouldn't be as bad
A cat 3 is certainly worse than a cold front, LOL. I'm 50 miles inland and I had trees down everywhere from Sally last year.

On the flip side, Hattiesburg seems to be more prone to tornadoes, so pick your poison.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:42 AM

225 posts, read 178,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A cat 3 is certainly worse than a cold front, LOL. I'm 50 miles inland and I had trees down everywhere from Sally last year.

On the flip side, Hattiesburg seems to be more prone to tornadoes, so pick your poison.
You got that right!

Old 12-06-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I don't know man, duration of wind from a hurricane will certainly do you in but in terms of pure strength and speed, Stright Lines Winds living in Tuscaloosa are by far the worst wind event I've experienced so far (living through Katrina and Ivan) which came from a cold front, destroyed several roofs and knocked over a few large trees in the immediate vicinity of my neighborhood

Old 12-06-2021, 09:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Not much is happening for Hattisburg in general. Really the only pro that I can think of Hattisburg is that its gonna be cheaper. Crime is much higher in Hattisburg than Semmes and surround suburbs.
Yeah OK buddy. Hattiesburg has a great economy at the moment, and crime isn't that bad. Certainly no worse than the Mobile area.

That's fine if you prefer Semmes but don't just spout inaccurate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama