Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2022, 10:54 AM

32 posts, read 54,392 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am researching relocation incentive programs and came across Remote Shoals, which offers $10,000 for out-of-state remote workers to move to The Shoals.

I'd love to hear from locals on how this program has been received and viewed within the community.

I'd also love to hear from anyone who has taken advantage of this program! How has it gone, and how are you liking the area?

I would be coming in as a left-of-liberal atheist from Seattle, so I certainly expect some culture shock! That said, I actually grew up in Decatur, AL and Oklahoma, so the South is not exactly strange terrain for me. I am quickly getting priced out of Seattle, my priorities have shifted over the years, and I find myself longing to be a part of a community.

I appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 12:25 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Vermont has a similar program. I'm not terribly impressed by any of them. $10K barely covers the costs of moving, especially from such a distance, and if you find it is not a fit, the financials look even worse.

Left of liberal is going to ostracize you from most groups. Atheists are better tolerated. I have a left of liberal friend in Vermont who came to visit, and he stated that he would NEVER consider living in Alabama. Even middle of the road centrists are viewed with suspicion.

If you want to get a feel for the attitudes in the Shoals, wander over to www.courierjournal.net (the local pennysaver free classified paper) and read a few of the letters to the editor and editorials.

I'm not sure where you will find "left of liberal" groups and areas of low taxation and rural living. The two are generally mutually exclusive.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:59 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I'm not sure where you will find "left of liberal" groups and areas of low taxation and rural living. The two are generally mutually exclusive.
Very true, "Left of Liberal" and low taxation don't go hand in hand. You can look at a voting map, rural areas are overwhelmingly red.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:07 PM

32 posts, read 54,392 times
I appreciate the input so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Left of liberal is going to ostracize you from most groups. Atheists are better tolerated.

If you want to get a feel for the attitudes in the Shoals, wander over to www.courierjournal.net (the local pennysaver free classified paper) and read a few of the letters to the editor and editorials.
I am relieved to hear that there is some tolerance for atheism, and totally understand that my politics aren't going to be mirrored there. My main concern is being welcomed despite that, and being able to make genuine connections.

The Pennysaver is a great resource, thank you!

Old 01-22-2022, 02:20 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansley View Post
I appreciate the input so far!

I am relieved to hear that there is some tolerance for atheism, and totally understand that my politics aren't going to be mirrored there. My main concern is being welcomed despite that, and being able to make genuine connections.

The Pennysaver is a great resource, thank you!
I don't think that would be an issue anywhere in Alabama, we are years past that.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:12 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Its going to be hot, humid , people will talk slow, the culture will be very different from Wa. You won’t like the way business is conducted, they will drive cars different, you will have to own a car, there won’t be any local transportation, you will occasionally see a Confederate flag/statue/street name. But heck come on down.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:55 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Default Little less remote Shoals gets renewed airline service

Florence and Shoals got a renewed airline awarded as part of federal contract. It was another company but will now be Contour airlines to ferry passengers to/from Charlotte, NC. Think of it as a small America airlines. Commuter that makes a few daily trips. The federal govt pays the airline $200 per passenger and it will be 10-20 person planes. A few municipal airports get federal reimbursement to ferry passengers to first leg of a major airline hub. Service will start in early March and bookings can be made today.

https://whnt.com/news/shoals/new-air...hwest-alabama/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: